• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1000 foot barrier

kbye_2_432.png

One time, OK, see, on time Randy Beaman threw a 180g Aviar in a hurricane.
613 miles and two states later they found his Aviar...

'k, bye.

In all seriousness, pretty amazing regardless of the wind. I would probably throw 130 ft, doubt I could get the disc up to speed to glide all that much.

It's the most ridiculous way to have a distance contest, what's next are they gonna travel to the nearest Hurricane and throw 3000 feet.

This should be done in a controlled environment like an airplane hanger then the true distance champion will be revealed.

I still truly believe good distance comps have wind. And now I truly believe their should be a cap on what that is. Rarely do you get winds like this and when you do get it could be raining, snowing, nighttime, etc.

And I'm thinking the cap should be somewhere around 35-40.

I can't even think of another barrier in sports so completely blown out of the water.

I'm old enough to remember Bob Beamon's (sp?) long jump. Over 29 ft., and I think it broke the old record by at least 2 full feet...

ok now that ive seen the video of the wind it is a little ridiculous. I still cant throw that far so its whatever.

That doesn't even make any sense. Records are set at the designated location.

The true measurement of a distance record should have nothing in play except the athlete and the object they are throwing, it is an unrealistic and frankly comical way to measure something that has such a massive impact (like the wind).

Just because someone can throw a disc 1000+ feet in 60mph winds does this make it a true measurement maybe a better indication should be throwing into the wind and then lets see what happens.;)

I started this thread as Simon just broke his previous record. I thought everything was going to be throwers coming close but not quite. Then Wiggins unleashes 1100+ feet. Someone earlier had mentioned renaming this the 1200 foot barrier. I'm thinking more like 1500-2000 foot barrier. Technology + high speed winds + bigger arms = 1500-2000 feet. And if so, when will the distance plateau?

I was on the course playing when my wife called me to tell me the news of Davids 1,108.92' throw!

Then she was nice enough to post it on our local DG Facebook page!

Well I guess Simon has the runner-up prize by breaking his previous 903' record to join the 1000' club.

Last edited:
It's the most ridiculous way to have a distance contest, what's next are they gonna travel to the nearest Hurricane and throw 3000 feet.

This should be done in a controlled environment like an airplane hanger then the true distance champion will be revealed.

humidity controlled to 50% +/- 1%? also atmospheric pressure should be 100 kPa +/- 1 kPa, temperature at 25°C +/- 1°C? Only using discs manufactured before 1985 so it's always fair to everyone?

discussing this be like :wall:

I'm guessing Mavericks has nothing on a Hurricane or a Gale. :hfive: :hfive: :hfive:

humidity controlled to 50% +/- 1%? also atmospheric pressure should be 100 kPa +/- 1 kPa, temperature at 25°C +/- 1°C? Only using discs manufactured before 1985 so it's always fair to everyone?

discussing this be like :wall:
Really? It's that hard? Track and field has regulated its records for decades. We can only regulate so much - but it behooves us to regulate it so that we have an actual record of who has the best throwing technique under what could be considered 'typical' conditions. Your atmospheric conditions can only be controlled to some extent - but what we can do is eliminate the conditions that actively 'help' a disc along as an external force acting on its acceleration as well as standardize a density/pressure range for the air using the easy to use tool we call 'elevation.'

His remark about doing it in an airplane hanger isn't the best because inside of a hanger would not be an example of typical throwing conditions - we throw in the open. The WFDF needs to set this as an unstandardized longest disc thrown, but there should be a WFDF record with standardized conditions - elevation at between say 0-1000 feet, wind speeds averaging under 10mph through the middle of the throwing area for the duration of the throw, simple things like that. It's not that hard, and its not worth the snide rejoinder you made as though this isn't something perfectly normal to call for, something along the lines of how all other sports set their records.

Record setting is about you and your implement against the competition. Not you and your implement hoping the wind grabs your disc just right so you can carry beyond someone that had pretty close to an equivalent throw to your own.

The winds noted during the world record throw were 38-42 mph.

One way to look at it is... If escape velocity was 80mph (release speed), it would take 9.33 seconds to travel 1108 feet. That's without slowing down. It is unlikely that his disc ever GAINED speed, but the tailwind allowed it to carry by reducing forward air friction dramatically. Still, he had to throw it at a trajectory and angle that it could take advantage of the wind. Not an easy thing to do. So likely, he had to have it in the air for closer to 11-13 seconds, which is pretty hard with drivers that have not a ton of air trapped underneath.

The schedule for the event is planned out MONTHS in advance. They definitely lucked out on the weather, ESPECIALLY considering they usually throw Friday to Sunday. Had that been the case, Simon may have held the title.

The winds noted during the world record throw were 38-42 mph.

One way to look at it is... If escape velocity was 80mph (release speed), it would take 9.33 seconds to travel 1108 feet. That's without slowing down. It is unlikely that his disc ever GAINED speed, but the tailwind allowed it to carry by reducing forward air friction dramatically. Still, he had to throw it at a trajectory and angle that it could take advantage of the wind. Not an easy thing to do. So likely, he had to have it in the air for closer to 11-13 seconds, which is pretty hard with drivers that have not a ton of air trapped underneath.

The schedule for the event is planned out MONTHS in advance. They definitely lucked out on the weather, ESPECIALLY considering they usually throw Friday to Sunday. Had that been the case, Simon may have held the title.

I watched Geisinger throw 91mph into the DiscMania gun, I bet Wiggins could do that too, pretty incredible.
From the video and reactions, seems like 10-11 seconds hang time, makes sense with the math.
At 10.5 seconds and 0.21 miles, that's an average of 72 mph.
I couldn't even hit 70mph in the gun out of the hand, although a handful of guys could.

On The Disc Golf Guy vlog last night, Simon said that he's been recorded at throwing 101 and 102 mph recently. Wiggins is around the same (according to both Simon and David).

I watched Geisinger throw 91mph into the DiscMania gun, I bet Wiggins could do that too, pretty incredible.
From the video and reactions, seems like 10-11 seconds hang time, makes sense with the math.
At 10.5 seconds and 0.21 miles, that's an average of 72 mph.
I couldn't even hit 70mph in the gun out of the hand, although a handful of guys could.

On The Disc Golf Guy vlog last night, Simon said that he's been recorded at throwing 101 and 102 mph recently. Wiggins is around the same (according to both Simon and David).
I was wondering if they broke 100mph. That's sick! Are there any results of the distances?