• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] 150 class question

desertstormvet

Par Member
I'm a noodle arm and know it. I started throwing about 4 years ago and did all of the buy nuke first crap and then I found this site and it set ,me straight. I'm soon to turn 50 and have gradually been dropping my driver weights, i'm down to about 160g and getting ready to drop them to lower to mid 150s. My question is for thews who throw 150 class or who have the knowledge. I was curious what weights you throw for mids and putters. Only makes sense that you would not be using them in max weight.

My wife throws all lighter drivers and fairway drivers, she still finds that heavier mids and putters work well for her. She throws 170-max mids (buzzz and flying squirrel) and 170+ wizards. You're not trying to get max distance out of slower discs, you want control and predictability. They're also easier to get up to speed since they have a slower cruising speed so you don't need the lighter weight to help you accomplish that.

I have a variety of weights I carry with mids and putters. I seem to use 170 as my top weight for mids and putters both. You can get more glide on a putter that weighs < 160, but it seems to be bothered a bit more by wind. I carry Comets around 170-73, I feel I throw them similar enough to my 150 drivers to see good results. It just takes a bit of practice to get used to lower weight mids and putters.

My drivers range from 149g to 163g. I use OLFs and Terns. (I don't carry any fairways.)

All of my mids and putters are as close to 175g as possible. I prefer my mids and putters heavy. I generally don't throw them as hard as my drivers and seem to have better control with the heavier weights.

I keep my driving Midranges (Tursas and Warship) around 168g. The lighter weight helps a bit with the glide and distance.

Approach Midranges (Suspects) around 170g. The lighter weight helps a bit with my serviceable FH.

And putters at 170g for calm days and 175g for windy days.

I throw everything around 165g these days. My wife and son throw 150 class and all of their discs are in the same class. I've just not found any compelling reason to throw heavier discs any more. I bagged a 200g Jaguar years ago and many discs over 180g, so I've experience throwing heavy discs--I just don't find any compelling reason to do so. So when I decided to throw lighter discs in my old age, I went with lighter discs throughout my bag and it's never been a problem.

I look at it like this... the farther I'm going to try to throw it the lighter I want it. And the more I want it to turn more lighter. So I'll get two or three go to drivers a little more or less stable from 155 to 165. A mad overstable utility disc at any speed has gotta be max weight. Putters for throwing usually 170ish but heavier for overstable. Putter for putting is totally up to you.

You could argue either way on heavy vs light discs across all the speed categories. Personally, I think light fairways and distance drivers and heavier (not necessarily max weight) mids and putters are the way to go. The one thing that isn't debatable is the lower you go the less you can choose from. If you stay above 160 you'll have many more disc molds and variations of plastic readily available from retailers. There are a few threads in the bag suggestion & feedback threads that might help you find the answers you are looking for.

My drivers (Champ Leo, Champ Teebird) are all 150g.

Mids (x Comet) are in the mid-160's and max weight, respectively...

Putters are max weight. They just get waay too squirrelly when at lower weights, especially in any sort of wind.

I've been throwing the same basic bag setup since 2012-ish, so I'm really comfortable with those discs at those weights now.

A broken 61yo and 150 class thrower.

I have in my bag right now several discs that weigh less than 160g.

Flick, Avenger, Teebird, and Leopard all have a home in my bag. I'm currently experimenting with a 153g Jade and a 150g Banshee. Love them both so far.

But you're looking for mids and putters. Try a TRUTH. I just got one 2 weeks back, 156g. My go to mid is a Buzzz, but they're darn near impossible to find in lighter weights. The Truth feels very Buzzz-like. And flies like a dream. At first I was babying it expecting it to just float to the target because of it's lightness. Wrong; it hyzered out and fell short. Once I started throwing the Truth like I meant it it became money. I highly recommend it.

However if you are in the Roc camp, the Roc comes in weights well below 150g. Not being a fan I've never tried a light one. I have tried a 150g Shark and 139g Skeeter. Both seemed too flippy and floaty, basically not at all forgiving for even slight technique flaws of which I have many. The TRUTH is more reliable and easily can take some snap and hold the line you put it on.

Putters - The only lightweight putter I've thrown is a 150g Aviar. Felt like putting with one of those promotional frisbees. And in any kind of wind it just didn't inspire confidence. So I stay with putters around 174-5g.

There is also a Pearl, Ruby, and Diamond in light weights. My wife's longest driver is the Diamond.

Hope this helps.

My drivers are all 155-165 (prefer 155ish if i can get them but not always available).

My fairways are the same.

For mids though - I don't see the point in going light. I can get them up to speed easy enough and any extra wind fighting is a good thing IMO. I feel like if I wanted the few extra feet from a mid....I'd just grab a fairway instead. I do have a lighter Roc3 (167 vs 180) in my practice stack and I barely notice the difference. I think a big part of that is in fairways / drivers that weight (or lack thereof) has an impact on me getting the disc up to speed....not an issue with mids.

For putters - no reason not to go max(ish).

Most people will use max weight putters and decently heavy mids with their 150 class drivers.

Heavier discs have a clear advantage in the wind and for rollers

Having said that, I'm one of the weirdos that uses an all 150g bag
Currently:
DX Polecat
DX/Star Aviar PnA
DX Rhynos
DX Cobra
DX/KC Rocs
DX/Star Leopards
Star Teebirds
DX/Champ Eagle X
Champ Firebird
Blizzard Boss

That sounds like a lot but 95% of my shots are putters or Rocs. Eagles are next. Everything else rarely gets used but I like having them.

I prefer my mids to be 170. I have some 177-178 but really like the lighter weights better. I have a 163 Envy that is probably the lightest I would go with a putter. It's not at all flippy though and flies just as stable as my 174 Envy, it just gets out there a little further. I use it for outside the circle putts and some approaches. I use higher weight for driving and inside the circle putts. I would recommend trying something similar for your setup. Tailor the weight to what you need it to do. Max weight might make sense in some circumstances, and lighter with others.

I turn 61 this month ... more than a few arm/shoulder/back injuries from an extremely athletic lifestyle, and one that even forced me right after I started disc golfing to switch from right (dominant) to left hand throwing ... I can now again use right arm for 'easier' throws, but full power are still LHBH ...

... with that said, drivers & fairways are 150 +/- a few grams, mids I try to stay right around mid 160, and most of my putters are right around 170 ... I use Colt, XD, CR type discs a lot, and like them right around 170, maybe a hair less as well ... I went through a LOT of discs trying things out, most all base plastic, but my body likes throwing the above weights ...

Unless it is really windy you won't need a max weight putter. I putt with a 168g Wizard (I do drive max weight though) and never feel I need a heavier one for putting. If it is too windy for my putting Wizard I'll throw a more stable mold.

I throw mids from mid 160's to max weight, I don't notice much of a difference to be honest. On my best throws a heavier mid will go further though. I wouldn't throw one of the lightweight understable mids, they are pretty flippy by design plus more so from being light. I would recommend a mid 160's shark, roc or buzzz for a mid.

my drivers are in the 150s mids/ putters max weight. that said i sued to throw a 150 dx roc and that thing was amazing. had two aces on it so its retired. every bit a roc.

I think finding mids in lighter weights is tuff.

They haven't really introduced air plastic much in mids mostly just drivers as you can see.

I know innova champion plastic often starts in the 150s in alot of mid/putter discs.

I have a 150 gram champion mid/putter (can't think of name) that is a great tossing disc.

I think it is just a matter of time until the manufactures really catch on that lightweight is growing market segment.

Last edited: