• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet/Buzzz question

krooster

Birdie Member
Would a max weight Z Comet have about the same HSS and LSS as a 170g Z Buzzz?

Reason for the question is all my mids are in the 170-172g range. Nothing beats the flight of a Comet (X, Big Z), but I like the bit of extra stability of the Buzzz as complement even though it doesn't have the same magical Comet flight. But I'd rather be throwing a Comet-like disc for that slot.

I know some people are going to suggest Roc, but every Roc I have thrown is more overstable than what I'm looking for.

The 2021 MJ comets are the most stable comets imo. If a buzzz isn't getting the flight you're looking for maybe a wasp would get the job done.

Yeah, almost all of the MJ Tour Series Comets are going to be heavy and should give you some extra stability VS. a 170-172g X or Big Z. That's going to be the ticket.

Yeah any step up in weight to Z plastic would be good. If you are used to throwing 172 or less for most of your mids I'd try something like a 176 or 177g Z. 180 Z is cool too but 8g and a plastic jump could be a little lumpy compared to a 170 Buzzz.

But yeah it should be about the same. Get one!

Would a max weight Z Comet have about the same HSS and LSS as a 170g Z Buzzz?

Reason for the question is all my mids are in the 170-172g range. Nothing beats the flight of a Comet (X, Big Z), but I like the bit of extra stability of the Buzzz as complement even though it doesn't have the same magical Comet flight. But I'd rather be throwing a Comet-like disc for that slot.

I know some people are going to suggest Roc, but every Roc I have thrown is more overstable than what I'm looking for.

I'd make a couple of suggestions before pushing an OOP tour series disc (even though it was just last year)

1. get a 170g dx roc, they pair better with comets than any other roc. they are also the most comet-like feel and flight

2. try an aftershock - but keep in mind it feels nothing like a comet and requires more power to fly properly (similar to a buzzz or wasp)

Are you after a comet feel too or just a stable comet flight? Because a Meteor is probably gonna be just a hair more stable that a Comet. But it feels much more like a Buzzz in the hand so that might be a turnoff.

I'd make a couple of suggestions before pushing an OOP tour series disc (even though it was just last year)

I rarely lose discs and love the idea of supporting MJ so I'm good with the Z tour series. Found plenty available online. If something happens to it I can always try out a max weight Z.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Are you after a comet feel too or just a stable comet flight? Because a Meteor is probably gonna be just a hair more stable that a Comet. But it feels much more like a Buzzz in the hand so that might be a turnoff.

I used to throw the meteor, did not like it. Too speed sensitive. Always found myself thinking about how much power I was putting into the throw to get the right amount of turn. With the Comet I can just put it on the right angle and height and it goes.

Speed-4 mids are out of fashion, bummer. You could try an Ontario Roc!

Yeah any step up in weight to Z plastic would be good. If you are used to throwing 172 or less for most of your mids I'd try something like a 176 or 177g Z. 180 Z is cool too but 8g and a plastic jump could be a little lumpy compared to a 170 Buzzz.

But yeah it should be about the same. Get one!
I hate to agree with you, but my Comet setup for a long time was an old X Comet, a 173g Z and a 177+g Z. Just going up to the heavier Z gave me that tick more stability I was looking for; nothing special needed.

Am I the only one who thinks the '20 MJs are more OS than the '21s?

No you're right, I didn't feel like getting into it haha. 21's are friggin nice though but not the most stable, I'd almost call em broken in Z flight.

20's were the beefier ive thrown but I think the ledgestone colourshifts were more stable, I haven't thrown mine, since its black and sexy and I heard it's a glideless pig... for a comet.

Why does everyone want the Most Stable Comet? Haha.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks the '20 MJs are more OS than the '21s?
To me the '17 and '21 MJ's were the more Comet-like i.e. least OS out of the box. Just a great, great flight out of them without trying. The '18, '19 and '20's were more OS to start (although I do have a flippy '20 so go figure.) The OS Comet in my boujee specialty run Comet line-up is an '18; the '21's went directly in the stable slot.

*scares off all new players from Comets*

No you're right, I didn't feel like getting into it haha. 21's are friggin nice though but not the most stable, I'd almost call em broken in Z flight.

20's were the beefier ive thrown but I think the ledgestone colourshifts were more stable, I haven't thrown mine, since its black and sexy and I heard it's a glideless pig... for a comet.

Why does everyone want the Most Stable Comet? Haha.
The '19 Ledgestone Sparkles and the '20 Ledgestone Colorshifts IMO both lacked glide. Kinda OS, but my main gripe was lack of glide. You probably got that info from me. I learned my lesson and didn't get any '21 Ledgestone Comets. The Cyclones and Stratus were really nice, though.

*stares at empty wallet*

*tried to connect dots*

*fails*

I have some 19s and 20s in my closet...

Ok, hear me out. Have you ever tried a Hex? They're a tick more stable than a Buzzz, have great glide, and a magic all their own.

They aren't like a Comet, but, they feel super great in the hand and fly like a dream.

I think about my Buzzzes and Comets as the same disc. The buzzz is fast and the comet is slow. The Buzzz is power and the comet is finesse.

I'm testing out a Meteor in my Comet slot for this reason. They overlap a lot in the straight shot department but I can't throw a Comet into wind like a Buzzz.

Latest posts