• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

<175' Approach, What Do YOU Throw?

I'm definitely more comfortable flicking a Magic for this distance. I've had a hell of a lot of difficulty learning to throw slow, backhand approaches, so I just started flicking and it's worked out pretty well for straight, anhyzer, and hyzer. My sidearm isn't good for much else besides this shot. Mostly for fun I've also started throwing flick rollers for some approaches and they're becoming pretty accurate, too.

Usually Jokeri. Swan if it needs to finish right. Dart for low lines. I feel ridiculous carrying so many different putters these days... Just don't feel confident enough with other stuff.

kern9787 said:
I've discovered recently that it is SOOOOO much easier for me to range shots that short by flicking a putter rather than trying to throw backhand. I've become so much more accurate, and I'm not at all a strong forehand player.
That happens for me, too. I've sunk more ~90' approach shots throwing forehand than I have backhand several times over.

Trashed omega 1.30

Like this thing is trashed. But I can do every shot with it

It's an approach putter only. If you can learn to do everything with a trashed putter it opens up your game in so many ways

Opto Pure mostly, usually nose-up straight shot or slight anny, so it stalls right near the basket. Or a Firm V.P. when the shot calls for hyzer line, forehand throw, or there's lots of wind.

I putt with soft Millenium QMEGAs and they are too unstable for upshots, so I keep my Innova stiff big bead DX Aviar (175g) for up shots and short drives. Almost the same mold. Very stable and will handle a lot of wind. I tend to put a little air bounce on it so it straightens out for short up shots with a lot of spin and lands flat.

Drowsy said:
*Sigh* If only they made wizards in premium. :(
They do, though they tend to be on the poorer side (some are nice). ION is a pretty great approximation.

I agree with using a putter as well. I use a Rhyno, usually a Pro or DX plastic. From a little further out I use my Nebula.

I use a 180 Aero. It was my first putter and had been hiding in my bag ever since I got my aviar, but a few months ago my girlfriend and I were having a toss back and forth with it, and we kept moving further and further apart...and I realized the disc was pure kickass. Flies just like my glow mako only shorter and I like the bigger size and heavier weight.

KC Pro Aviar. I know I have no chance of nailing the basket, so my hope is to get close. I feel more comfortable with that than my Buzzz or my Roc.

If it is straight or slightly to the right, I go with the KC Pro Aviar. If it is to the left, or I want to hook left to get to it, I use my CFR Champion Big Bead Aviar, which is pretty overstable.

Dart for everything under 300. I can throw it very accurate either straight, with anny, hyzer, with a tomahawk, and a thumber.

I agree with the earlier comments about the Rattler. At 175 it can be squirrelly. Under 100 I often go to my Rattler because I can do all the same throws as with the Dart but with more room for error since the Rattler is slower. For me the Rattler has saved me countless times when I have to throw a forehand under 100ft. Deadly accurate especially holding anny lines.

Latest posts