• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1999 Scott Stokely vs Paige Pierce ?

DiscFifty

Banned

Bradley Walker says they are the same. They look pretty similar to me. Curious what some users here think. :popcorn:

Huge brace there. I didn't watch the whole video. Is there a Bradley Walker comment?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• AC3CE839-B93A-48CC-8247-1D2DB4C184CA.jpeg
    AC3CE839-B93A-48CC-8247-1D2DB4C184CA.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 68B68950-8DEC-40C5-98E0-049438F3DDFF.jpg
    68B68950-8DEC-40C5-98E0-049438F3DDFF.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 243
If you throw far youd expect to see the same mechanics in play, id be baffled if that werent the case.

Sw, it appears that you're CoG is much farther over your front foot. Could just be camera angle

Missed my edit... I read "Bradley Williams". Don't know who Bradly Walker is.

No, this one is Bradley Walker, and he believes these support his spin and throw ideas.

I posted this same video over on my own "what I learned" thread.

Stokely told me to pull in a straight line across my chest like starting a lawnmower, That mental image works but really the upper arm doesn't move, as he demonstrates in this video (which is possibly throwing a putter 450 in a tournament, according to the narration). But what I do think works is his insistence on planting before pulling. I had a really good round after that clinic. If the weather cooperates I'll play again after work today.

Here's me, first trying to do what Stokely told me, which is to turn completely and don't pull until full landed on the plant foot, which I was pretty sure I'd done. I did turn back like he said but pulled a little early, looking frame by frame. Then I threw another, trying to step behind while turning back, didn't work so well.

Sw, it appears that you're CoG is much farther over your front foot. Could just be camera angle
My camera angle is a little more behind the tee and I'm throwing slight anhyzer and Markus throwing slight hyzer.

No, this one is Bradley Walker, and he believes these support his spin and throw ideas.

I posted this same video over on my own "what I learned" thread.

Stokely told me to pull in a straight line across my chest like starting a lawnmower, That mental image works but really the upper arm doesn't move, as he demonstrates in this video (which is possibly throwing a putter 450 in a tournament, according to the narration). But what I do think works is his insistence on planting before pulling. I had a really good round after that clinic. If the weather cooperates I'll play again after work today.

Here's me, first trying to do what Stokely told me, which is to turn completely and don't pull until full landed on the plant foot, which I was pretty sure I'd done. I did turn back like he said but pulled a little early, looking frame by frame. Then I threw another, trying to step behind while turning back, didn't work so well.

If your form ends up looking like PP or Stokley (circa 1999 or 2021), you're doing things right. In the 90s form may have been taught differently (like every other sport), yet the 'ideal' mechanics fall within the same tolerances then as now.

I'm the guy who filmed Stokely (and others) at DGLO in 1998 and 1999! I set up on Hudson Mills #2 (original course) at the side of the tee because (a) it was crowded behind the tee and I couldn't get in position to see them at all, and (b) back then I wanted to study their form too, so I saw it as an opportunity to do that despite not really getting to catch where the Discs landed. Luckily Scott is throwing a putter max distance here (got about 400' out of a regular Magnet), but at the time I didn't think of Hole #2 as a "short" hole and the other guys were throwing these little dink shots, pin-high 350' of course! Certainly wasn't a short hole for the likes of me.

I really did all of that videotaping for me and my friends back home, never thought at the time others would really care. Then they sat in a box in my basement for a couple of decades and the sport would explode and get a lot more sophisticated...

When he unleashed that Magnet, you could hear a ripple of murmurs through the crowd around the tee: "That was a Magnet! That was a Magnet! That was a Magnet!..." It was the first time I ever saw somebody throw a putter like that. A few years later I saw Al Schack and Todd Branch throwing Aviars at Kimble Pines Park over 350' as well on one of the holes going with the park road. I just never understood how pros could do these things, like it was magic or something.

Latest posts