• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2008 Memorable shots and Aces (Brag here)

landon77

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
After a 3 year absence of no aces:mad: I have one great shot to report this year on Oct 30th 2008. Coldbrook Park in Kalamazoo Michigan, Hole #15 about 200 feet RHBH slight anhyzer through menacing trees and breezes and ching, GLORY!! My first ace in a long time!:p:p:p

After about 6 years of no aces (I had stopped playing for about 4 of the 6, you can't get one if you don't throw). 7/19/08 Play in De Kalb, IL on hole #3 182' throw my Gator RHBH and I got my 4th Ace ever. I did not hit any chains just in the bottom basket. My first ace in a long time, I been close on a few here lately but have not had one stick yet.

I doubled my amount of aces I had total in 1 years time....before this year I only had 3...all on my home course. I finally got 1 NOT on my home course, and 2 more on my home course. But sadly with 6 aces overall, its only on 3 baskets. Overall had a great year, got an invite to the worlds <but couldn't make it>, took 2nd in the state doubles championship <losing by 1 stroke>, took 2nd in the state title for Adv. Masters(again), and increased my overall rating....so overall it was a good year!

Started playing in August. September 27th, I had my first ace on #16 at McClain. Since then, I've hit the chains a few times but no glory.

I'm actually more proud of two eagles I made on #10 (522') and #13 (602'). Had great drives and both second shots went exactly like I pictured them in my mind.

Sun shines on a dog's butt every once in a while. LOL

Woodpecker

I don't remember all the rounds I've played this year.. but I had a memorable shot/drive at Barfield Cresent Park in Murfreesboro TN. Hole 18 is a little over 400 feet and slightly downhill. My drive went about 30 feet past the basket (thankyou tailwind!). Then I hit a straddle putt from about 45 feet out for a deuce. nice!

. 2008 was truly a great year for me. The year started off great as we had a record number of participants at the Ice Bowl tournament in Wooster, Ohio, thus we raised a lot of $$ for the Akron- Canton Regional Foodbank.

I won 2 different PDGA tournaments that I entered, in one (Canton, Ohio) I out lasted everyone in my division while playing in 18" of snow, I didn't lose any discs (not even my white glow sidewinder). And then the other in Champion, Ohio, in which I bested everyone while playing on a constant rainy day thing, while never opening up my umbrella after the first few holes in which I knew I didn't really need it as I was wearing my swimsuit and had one of those rain resistant under armour t- shirts on..

I also was blessed to have played a total of 142 new courses, (in 17 states) that I hadn't played before (I've currently played 609 courses). I got to meet some really great people along the way, play some great courses (and a few duds), and really appreciate how wonderful America is. of all those courses and of all the rounds I got to play. One of the things that gets me excited is that my friend, Jesse Buryj is with me in my travels as I mention his name every time I get a duece (Jesse was KIA in Iraq on May 5th, 2004).

So to say what shot I remember most in 2008, is every time I mention Jesse's name because it means that I just got a 2, and that Jesse is right there enjoying it with me.

another very cool thing that I'm going to brag about is going to Dick's sports store and seeing my friend Avery Jenkins on the Innova display. VERY COOL. Keep up the the nice flight Avery (and Val).

I also like to brag about being with my Mom for another day.

I've only been playing for a few months so things are still difficult for me. No aces yet to speak of as my home course is very very technical. I have however made some nice birdies and some was able to sink some far shots/putts. Some from as far out as 60'. I know I'll look back on this next year and think wow that's not saying much, but I think for my little bit of experience it's something to yack about. Hope everyone has a safe new year. Designate that driver. And I don't mean that brightly colored disc in your bag.

The best feeling dayI had was shooting course par at idlewild, glory i since have not been able repeat.
Second was a ace on hole two aj jolly over the lake got a great applause from the guys fishing and the quote of the year from a over weight overall wearing man "Nice ringer, BOY" still makes me chuckle.
Then I am happythat i finally started playing in tournaments, i got gradually better with a third place finish in my last one.:cool:

I made what I consider my best shot of my year today, only 2 days before 2009. I made about a 80-90 foot shot over/around a fallen tree. The downed tree was directly in line with my shot so I threw my shark slight anhyzer and as it was straightening out, it barely knicked a small branch sticking straight up and it barely affected the flight. Anyways, it went in the basket. That was the very last shot of the day too, what a great way to end 2008. I also made a lot of good putts today and had an approximately 425 foot drive. All this while playing triples.

Oh 2008

This is my second year of discin'...and I'm completely hooked. I made three aces this year including my first on October 11th, Oct. 29th & one just last week on the 28th. My first was obviously the best feeling ever...it was hole 8 at Lakewood WA, 280ft down a tight corridor, threw a monarch RHFH , a group of locals had to yell "it's in" as I stood in disbelief. The local group stopped as we waited at the next tee pad, signed the disc and gave me props. I know I'm one lucky SOB.

I hit aces on back to back rounds (saturday then sunday) a couple months ago. I also won my first PDGA tourney this year (intermediate) and shot my highest rated PDGA rounds (970ish). Going to USDGC was a highlight I can't leave out. I can only hope next year is better!

My highest rated round in a PDGA sanctioned event was a 920 at Agnes Moffitt Park.

But I tended to rock the unsanctioned events in which I played. My best round was at the 2008 Eberly Ranch / Powers Industries Open. My singles round was a 979 rated round and tied for the fourth best score across all divisions. :) That course suits my game perfectly. The second round is a top-bottom pairing best-shot doubles round across all divisions; So my fourth best score got me paired with the fourth worst scoring player from the first round. Still managed to win REC and cash $90! :D Not bad for an 865 rated player. :cool:

ERic

I'm actually more proud of two eagles I made on #10 (522') and #13 (602'). Had great drives and both second shots went exactly like I pictured them in my mind.

eagle on #13?!? thats very impressive...played that course 3 days in a row and could only seem to par 13....maybe 1 bird but nothing close to an eagle lol

Last edited:
no aces for me this year, but i have had a few memorable shots. probably the most memorable was on #13 at chalybeate. a bad throw off of the box left me a blind shot over some tall cedars about 140ft from the basket. i throw strictly RHBH, but in this case, only had one feasible shot at the basket, a tomahawk over the cedars. it went up and over the trees and dropped right in the chains for a deuce. unfortunately, i didn't get to see it go in, but i did hear the chains rattle. exciting nonetheless.

hmm, what to brag about?

I finished with 13 aces in 2008 =) but 11 of them were in the first 6 months and I played just as much in the 2nd 6 months...

I landed on the top of the list of 1000rated.com's 2nd edition of the weekly hot rounds list: http://www.1000rated.com/2008/08/last-weeks-hot-rounds-2/

I won 7 events in the pro division in southern nationals events

been a good year, hope 2009 can get even better

Latest posts