• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ace memories

foulal

Hey folks,

I am a 3 yr. player, 4 or 5 rounds my first year and 200 or so rounds in the last year and a half or so.. I just had my first ACE today!

I was playing a course I had not played before and on the first hole on the new course I threw an ACE shot by deflecting off of a tree and ............................. c-h-a-i-n-s! :D
I was on a 221 ft. first hole that had 3 or 4 trees protecting the basket.

I threw my dx archangel rhbh and was dissapointed in the throw as I released it. As I watched it fly... I was cringing at the thought that it was going into a tree and going to riccochet into the woods nearby. I watched the arch. fly through the air alongside my buddy Matt, who I was playing with today, not liking what I had just thrown... untill it hit the tree and turned into the basket! CHA-CHING! I was so shocked at what had just happened that I wasnt sure what to do or how to react? Before I knew it.. Matt had hoisted me up in the air with a huge hug and bounces!

I had just thrown my first ACE! we celebrated for about 2 mins. recalling the entire throw over and over... it was awesome! :clap:

Once we had finished celebrating, Matt was ready to take his turn...
He threw a champ vaulk. verry well... at about 200 ft. it turned left and fell into the woods about 10 feet in. There were sticker bushes around him but thats not the good/effed up part... he stepped on a rotted out log that contained a bee's nest!!! he stood there for a few seconds sizing up his shot then as he threw...OUCH! what the f#$* was that? He got stung in the calf... He thought it was a sticker bush and stood there for a sec. untill he looked down and saw the swarm building...lol:gross:
He quickly beat feet outta there swatting bee's from his legs...LMAO! but still concearned.

Matt had finished with a par 3 for the hole and a bee sting to boot!

I wanted to share this ace experience as it was soooo fun for both of us!
( minus the bees...lol )

I hope this is as cool to some of you here as it was/is for me!

the course is '' Windlestrae park'' in north wales Pa. its a 9 hole course with soooooo much potential to be an exquisite 18 hole course but the surrounding homeowners object to it so it hasnt happened.... too bad for us discers here.

Thanks for reading, and please share your ace story with me! its a cool feeling!;)

truthfully, i don't remember my 1st ace. i think it was #18 at Winton Woods. i do know it was with a whamo 165g frisbee. it was a long time ago, in a land not so far away...

My first ace came while playing with my friend and his father and uncle. We flipped disc to determine teams (we played doubles). Well i was second/third best and got paired off with the worse of the throwers. It was Lucy park in wichita falls after playing on and off for 5 years. we came to hole 10 tied. I figured we would of been in worse shape. My friends dad throws first, and lands it about 15-20 feet from basket for an easy birdie. This hole had ate me up everytime i played. As there is a tree that hands just infront of it, and i always hit that damn branch. (it also has an ob sidewalk to the right of basket and behind it, so its easy to end up with extra shots when i did miss the tree) I tee off with my KC pro Teebird my favorite disc (that has since been retired) and it does a nice "s" turn and as i watch it sail right back to left back to right towards the basket, all i can think is this is going to put us in good positon.. "CHING" Im in shock as it rings in around the back of the basket. Everyone is just staring at me and the basket. My partner says well i guess i dont have to throw now. My friend due up after me looks at me and says "thanks f*&^Er, how am i suppose to top that" threw his disc incredibly hard into the tree branch that usually takes me out. Best part is, after getting to the basket both my friend and his father miss their putts. So we end up taking two strokes on them. My partner and me ended up winning by a stroke.

Congrats on your first ace!

I'll get mine...one of these days.

My first ace was hole 23 at The Oaks in Mokena, Il. 310 ft. with a Pro Valkyrie. Took almost 6 years to get my first ace. That was in feb. of last year. I've had 5 more since then. Only one this year (on vacation in Arkansas!) Seems like once the weight of that first one is lifted they come a bit easier. Hopefully the same happens for you. Congrats and good luck! :thmbup:

Well your post seemed like overkill, and I'm pretty sure I could prerube you with the "Aces 2012" thread (plus a ton more), but I get the excitement that you're feeling so I won't be a dick.

I was playing Howling Coyote in Bothell, WA. By about hole 7 I had come to the realization that I was stuck behind a group of two guys and a girl. I don't know why it is, but groups involving girls (especially families) don't understand the concept of allowing others to play through. I got irritated when I was on the teepad for 8 at the same time as them and they still elected to throw. This is ironic because it's a 9 hole course. Well, holes 5-9 loop around the same section of woods, so I just walked up and played from hole 5 again. Hole 6 is a short, 167'ish downhill RHBH shot, so I naturally threw a Boss. I was a noob, it was a wooded hole, and I didn't want to risk losing any of my discs. I hit the exact line that I always tried to hit, missing the tree that I always managed to hit. The sound of chains was a shock to say the least. I didn't run. I didn't jump. I just casually walked down the trail, knowing that I had probably hit chains and kept going. Even when I saw the bright yellow of the disc in the basket I was sure that it was on the other side. It wasn't until I got there that it fully dawned on me what I had done. I realize that this wasn't an official ace or anything, but come on. I'd been playing for two months. It was exciting. I was stoked.

I still have that Boss on a shelf, but I throw a Pure on that hole now... and usually overthrow it.

Even though I've been playing for at least 6 years, I still have yet to hit a real ace...but last week I was playing a tournament at a really short/easy course (Borden Park) and joined the ace pool like I always do, hoping its my day. Ended up 3 people hit aces but none of them were in the ace pool, so we had a throw off for the money. About a 200ft shot, flat and no obstacles, with CTP taking the money. I was one of the last to throw and put it right in the heart of the chains for the cash. It was a great feeling even though it wasn't really an ace. Money will do that for me :p

My first ace came in the dark. We started playing pretty early in the spring of my second year playing at around 8pm. My buddy hit me in the mouth with a firebird on an approach (we were noobs back then and only had a few discs. I couldn't talk the whole round because my bottom lip was swollen so much. On the last hole I threw a high hyzer on a 310 ft hole. We couldn't see the basket but heard the chains.

My second ace was pretty memorable as well. A different buddy and I were walking up to the last hole and I told him that if I ever hit an ace on this course it would be the last hole. It is a blind basket so we heard chains and ran over the hill to see if it stuck.

Congrats on the first ace!

My first and only ace came at Woodland Mound Park on hole #10. It's around 270ft and a straight shot with a slight fade to the right at the end. At the time I could only throw my drivers to this hole so I threw my pro katana and from about 50ft away from the basket I knew it was in. It blew up the chains and was the sweetest sound I've heard on a disc golf course yet. Luckily for me I was playing with my dad and there was a small back up on that tee so I had more than one witness.

Congrats!

My first ace was hole #1 at Woodland Mound with an XD (the stable disc of that time). It was windy, I threw the disc, it did a couple air bounces then seemed like it had a radar as it turned down towards the basket and slammed in.

My most fun ace was during a tournament at Otter Creek. I was on hole #10 getting ready to throw when the chains for holes #9 got smacked with an ace from the group behind us. I stopped as we all congratulated the thrower of that ace. I regrouped and threw my drive and it also smacked the chains on #10 for an ace.
I was on an elevated tee, I jumped off, threw my hat down on the ground and started yelling about missing the ace fund :) ($130 and 4 tickets to River Downs race track, horses) by 2 lousy minutes. (1st ace gets it).
When the TD heard the story they determined we got an ace at the same time (I was on my 5th hole of that round and so was he) so I got half the money, he got the other half and the 4 tickets. :clap:

Congrats on the ace!!!!

My first one was actually just a couple months ago. I was playing at Jackson Park Disc Golf Course in Rapid City, SD, and I had just received my first Bar Stamp Buzzz in the mail that day. I decided to splurge a little bit and try one out after reading about how coveted they are. Anyway, I get to the course and hole #3 comes around: a 261' fairly open hole with the ideal line running directly over a river for the duration of the flight. I release my new Bar Stamp for its first throw from my hands and it looks like it will be parked so I turned around and started to head back to pick up my bag. I was about halfway to my bag when some people in a car driving by started yelling and cheering. I turned around just in time to see my disc hit low left chains and drop to the bottom of the basket. I hurriedly picked up my bag and walked up to retrieve my disc. I was playing alone, so luckily the two players on the next tee pad agreed to sign my disc for witnesses. Needless to say, I don't go anywhere near a disc golf course without a bar stamp buzzz now.

I was playing at a little 9 hole course with my friend who is new but greatly improving. So we step up to hole 4 which is 200' with plenty of trees to hit by the pin. He lands 20' to the left of the basket with his Gazelle now its my turn so I grab my sexy bright pink Opto Pure and throw it knowing it was a bad realease and it was going to hit a tree I still watched it split two trees with a two foot gap and fall out of the air and fade right into the chains! He was excited and some people from a wedding that was going on saw it and then later kicked us out of the public park by saying "go throw your stupid frisbees somewhere else erogant children" We weren't happy but they were irate!

First ace went like this dave you sure you dont want to put in a buck for the ace pool its only a buck. No joe I aint hit one in the six years ive been playin......two minutes later chains......yah my first ace wohoooo....f@@# I just lost out on a 140 bucks...lol its funny now not so much then

142px-Pilcrow.svg.png

i've only had one and it was 2 yrs ago.

while that ace gave me a really great feeling it now makes me depressed when i think about it because i thought i'd be able to do it again /shrug

oh well. 851 rated, rec4Life.

at least i have the one.

sorry B-mart... too late to not be a d#$*.
but congrats on your obvious superiority over everyone else's accomplishments. thanks for sharing?

Even though I've been playing for at least 6 years, I still have yet to hit a real ace...but last week I was playing a tournament at a really short/easy course (Borden Park) and joined the ace pool like I always do, hoping its my day. Ended up 3 people hit aces but none of them were in the ace pool, so we had a throw off for the money. About a 200ft shot, flat and no obstacles, with CTP taking the money. I was one of the last to throw and put it right in the heart of the chains for the cash. It was a great feeling even though it wasn't really an ace. Money will do that for me :p

Pretty awesome feeling I bet. Don't focus too much on not having an ace, it will come. I waited 8 great years with plenty of full chainouts.

I haven't been playing very long at all. I learned about DG at the end of summer in 2010 from my brother who lives in OR. The day we played, I was hooked. Coming from a golfing backround, I really thought this was stupid when he told me about it. That day after our round, I was out buying disc's. I live in Mass, and its hard to play once winter hits, so its limited season to play. So I came back and ordered a bunch of disc's and bag online from Sun King. One disc was a Yellow 175g bottom star stamp S/DS Destroyer. Because I was noob, I didn't really know a lot at all because its not something people know about around here. So my first ace was the beginning of the summer at Crane Hill on hole #12. Its kind of short at 217ft, easy par 3. However its has a slight curve left to right with trees all around and a line of trees that curve with the lane to the basket. I was with my buddy who was playing for the first time. I tee off with the S/DS and what I thought was a worm burner, was about an inch off the gound and started to turn a little back to the right, and skips off a little lip in the ground and kicks back up and hard right...Then the sounds of the chains. The basket is hidden and couldn't see if it went in or did the notorious "catch a piece" of the chains and go past it. My buddy says "holy crap dude, you aced it" and goes for a high five. I actually didn't think it went in and said it to him, so I didn't high five him. While I was walking to the basket I was looking all around to the right of the basket for the disc, as I got almost up the basket, it was sitting in bottom, front part of the basket, bottom side up. ( I had to take a photo of it too) Then I gave my buddy the high five.

(and they say Destroyers aren't for noobs) Its my money disc and first disc I learned to throw really, really well. However, two months later I lost the disc to one of the lake at Trophy Lakes in SC. Never to hear about that disc ever again. Super Sad face for the loss of that disc and never getting returned.

Latest posts