• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Goals

Run my first Club event(May 19th, fun tournament to raise some funds)
Get rated( Just got my number, first tournament in 2 days at whispering falls)
Stop buying so many disc that I don't need(that's just hard to do)
Play in at least 10 tournaments
Play in two Birdie Bashes
Continue to go under at my home course and get a bogey-free round
Take EPDG to the next level and introduce 15 people to the sport

1) Stop playing during Winter (my putting goes to hell for some reason)
2) perfect my BH
3) Maybe hit some courses in surrounding states I haven't played in.

1. Play in a tournament or at least a Monthly.
2. Get under par with my doubles partner in the long positions at Dela.
3. Under Par solo rounds at Pinto Lake and Black Mouse.
4. Play 3 new courses.

-Have a consistent backhand shot any distance
-A consistent forehand (300'+)
-9/10 at 30'
-Shoot a 1000 rated round

Well, it's close to the end of the year, but I've had some success at some, and changed a couple.

1- Done (ish). Certainly not as consistent as I'd like, but I don't have any distances I feel completely uncomfortable with.

2- Forehand isn't working. LHBH is getting close to 300', and somewhat consistent.

3- 9/10 from about 20-25'

4- Not gonna happen ... Unless I count a DGCR rated round; then it could happen if my home course gets moved to long pins.

New goals:
-No tourney rounds below 850 rated
-9.9/10 from 20'
-Be able to consistently birdie 150' holes

1) Continue to maintain an 18.0 holes per day round over the year and for my career . . . sitting at 18.27 for my career.
2) Maintain my average of 100 new courses per year by surpassing 500 courses. Sitting at 460 so I will be passing 500 by the time my road-trip ends in February.
3) To have played every public accessible course in WI by the end of 2013. Private courses will be bonus courses and not included in this quota. I have about 50/220 left to play which includes a few private courses listed on DGCR.
4) Get back on track ad get my rating between 915-925. I am currently sitting at 906
5) Win an Intermediate tournament. 3 time runner up and 4 time 3rd place is just not good enough for me.
6) Practice putting especially 20-30' at least twice per week for 20-30 minutes.
7) Write 3-4 more articles for publications about disc golf to help spread the word about our sport. (I already had 2 published in 2012 and one more is about to be published).
8) Get my typcial driving distance to 275-300' instead of 240-250' . . . without needing a roller to accomplish that.
9) Get no less than 5 courses in the ground whether they be permanent courses or temporary seasonal courses on other properties.
10) Spread the word to as many people about course design and sustainability. Assist people in getting the information on how to correctly install and maintain disc golf courses with proper horticultural techniques. Improve peoples turf management on the disc golf courses by explaining techniques to reduce and avoid compaction. (NOT MEASURABLE BUT I WILL BE DOING IT)

1) I kept my holes played per day for my career over 18 as planned but slacked this year (because I ran more leagues and played less casual rounds) . . . sitting at 18.08 holes per day still.

2) Played the most courses I have in 1 year this year with 188 played . . . due in part to a 31 day roadtrip where I played 93 courses. Sitting at 648 courses played in 5 years of playing so I am still way above my desired average of 100 per year for as long as I possibly can.

3) I had about 50 courses in WI (listed on DGCR or PDGA) that I had not played when I started the year and I took many roadtrips around the state to hit the obscure courses. I got to as low as 9 courses not played (but those are all private property or camp courses where I may or may not be given permission. While I didn't meet my goal, I am proud to say I got down to only private courses left to be played. If you consider the fact I actually listed 10 new courses on DGCR . . . I think i did pretty well within the state.

4) I got my rating back to my previous career high . . .915 . . . but

5) I only played 1 sanctioned tournament and while I did play better than my rating, I did not win.

6) Yeah this was a bad goal . . . I will never want to practice putt . . . I would rather play a round that spend an hour practicing.

7) I believe I have now had 7 articles published in magazines, newspapers, or the PDGA weekly newsletter. I am enjoying my writing about disc golf, and it does not matter if it is about design, a tournament, or sustainable course construction.

8) My typical driving average (in season) did improve slightly this year. I would guess I have no problem being pretty accurate up to about 275' which is an improvement, but I need to work on not throwing my arm forward before pulling back in order to get to the next level of averaging 300' accurately.

9) Well, my lofty goal was met by challenges I did not forsee. While I did design 5 courses for actual projects, the only one that has come to fruition is the course I setup on a golf course for a tournament this past fall. I believe one of the projects will be completed in spring for sure, I am confident I will get another temp course setup in place for the winter which might turn into a full season course eventually, and the other main project I was involved in is still raising funds (via a government grant) so that is out of my control. Either way I have thoroughly enjoyed the design aspect of my business and I look to take it to another level down the road as I have more time available.

10) My articles, discussions with the locals about trouble spots on our courses, and just always making myself available to those that know my previous profession has rewarded me with being able to help people multiple times. I am proud that my professional experience can help to make our disc golf courses better and I look forward to doing more of this down the road.

1) Continue to improve mental game, both shot to shot decision making and 'frustration tolerance index.' I've come a long way...my Italian side makes me want to put out hits on trees...but always room to improve.

2) Start playing competitively. Plan to finally join the local club and play singles/dubs, plus some other area events. I always thought of myself as a "casual golfer," but I'm finding myself jonesing for competitive experience. (Plus I qualify for 'masters,' which helps.)

3) Focus on powered-down accuracy. I'm fine with my D, and my accuracy at 85-100% power. I need work on tight-line, standstill, lower powered accuracy, both left/right and D control.

4) Learn to throw a roller, find a disc I can get 300+ ft out of with a hook thumber.

1) meh, did so/so here. Did well at working on focus/recovering from bad shots, but still tend to overthrow/go for too much, especially in competitive rounds.
2) check. 17 rated rounds, 875 rating, including club singles
3) mmm, dunno. Better here, but still struggle with longer throws from standstill.
4) negatory.

Last year I had a pretty solid set of goals. This year I'm being a little less rigid. I have some plans, but no real goals.

1. Bring the fun back. Don't get me wrong, tournament rounds are fun, but they're also stressful and can be very frustrating. In the last three years, my weekends have been dominated by tournament play. I'm going to shut that down a bit and reclaim some of my weekends for casual play.

2. More Travel. For the tournaments that I do play, I'm looking to broaden my horizons a bit and travel to some bigger events. Tentatively on my schedule are A-Tiers in PA, CT, and DE as well as Am Worlds.

1. Definitely succeeded here. I played fewer tournaments and did more with my weekends. I got back into running this year and did a few Saturday road races rather than running off to a tournament three hours away.

2. I did play in DE. But didn't get as much tourney travel in as I originally had hoped I would. I'm not too disappointed though, other life priorities are the reason for that.

Better decision making
Get consistent in the circle
Quit changing my bag around
clean up my form a little more
play more tournaments.
Decision making and course management have improved.
Bag is set.
Consistency is still an issue but better in the circle.
Form is clean.
Didn't play that many more tournaments.

Overall, I would say that my ridiculously low standards were met. Still some work to do for 2014, but Iv'e been competitive in open around here so hopeful that trend will continue. Putting is the main thing keeping me from wins/top 3 finishes.

1. Get as many of my friends into Disc Golf as possible. I have become passionate about the game in just a short period of time and I genuinely want to share that experience with as many people as possible. It is rewarding to introduce a friend to something and have them really take to it, and this is how we will eventually grow the sport.

2. Round out my game. Scoring will come with time and practice, but I want to focus on having the ability to make all the throws. I have a tendency in sport/activity to find one aspect of the given game in which I do very well and the lean heavily on it. This usually results in ascending the ranks quickly, but ending up with a limited ceiling.

Best of luck DGCR's, Happy New Year.

Update 12-31-13.
My 2013 goals:

Improve putting now that i got an innova skillshot for Christmas. Done
Play in my first Ice Bowl, maybe a second one too. Done
Continue my goal to play every course in Indiana-have 54 down so far. Up to 64
Maybe join the PDGA. Done- played 21 events
Keep taking pictures. Kinda focused on playing now
Spend less time in the Landfill-sorry Discpicable Yeah right!

Play in a PDGA sanctioned tourney Played in several but none were PDGA sanctioned
Throw at least 1 more ace Threw 20 this year!
Play Flyboy Tried several times, but just didn't work out this year
Make at least 3 DGCR Travel Tag trades Done!
Play at least 104 rounds (average of 2/week) WAY done!

End of year update

Practice more I have had my set of pitfalls with my health recently. I was bed ridden for 2 months at one point with the flu so I have to re-learn a lot.

Be patient with myself as far as getting back into shape to play.

Get better at understanding hyzerflips. I think I have it down but the terms kinda confuse me.

Get better at RHFH shots because sometimes RHBH and tomahawks are not the right shot.

1. Stay healthy
2. Stay healthy
3. Stay healthy
4. Improve BH distance and consistency (distance goal is 350')
5. Throw FH without injury. Bonus: regain lost distance
6. Start playing doubles and tournaments again
7. Play at least one new course out of Iron Hill, Tyler SP, Pinchot SP, and Scarboro Hills

1 - 3 Done!
4. Made progress late in the year. Finally broke the 300' barrier, and occasionally hitting 350'
5. FH is a big part of my approach game, and so far no injuries. Still not driving FH off the tee very often.
6. Yup
7. Played Scarboro Hills, plus Bryant Park and Wilder DGC in Oregon and Zobel Park in Wisconsin.

All in all a pretty successful year

Did I reply in this thread? Check.

I'm trying to hit 300 courses played by July 17th, which would mark 10 years of disc golf for me. It will be an upward battle as I have 29 to go, and not much time or energy to plan a big trip. By the end of the year would be more manageable.

And I got it done in Fulton, MO on July 6th. So mission accomplished. I might go easy and shoot for 325 this year.

Shoot under par in the OG weekly.
Break 100 courses played.
Play more; shoot less.
Fix my lousy short game.
Spend less money on discs. :)

Latest posts