• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 USDGC

I finally just finished up the 4+ hours of Saturdays final. Had to sequester my self form all DG sites where I could have spoiled the finale. I have never watched DG coverage like that before, WOW ,a nail biter to the end. I would liked to see more coverage of the hot round Feldberg put up...HATED to see the end of his run though! I was super bummed for him! I was pulling for Will on his charge back, I was amazed to see #17 go bad for him, his go for putt to hole out was nice. That is composure right there.

I guess now it is time to wait for all the edited coverage vids to sufrace, cant wait to seem them too.

Man I want to play some Disc Golf right now! Thanks to the remnants of Karen we are getting a constant soaking to day. Good thing there was tourney coverage to finish!

I have a question concerning the 3rd round with Will, Steve B., Steve R., and Nate.
On hole #7, this hole has the bamboo barracade with the opening in front. The only way into the basket is to go through the opening. It isn't a long shot from tee to green just a straight drive.
Question: Why didn't most of the guys on that card throw a straight shot like Brinster did? I think Will, Nate, and Rico throw some type of hyzer shot which put them in difficult position for a second shot. I saw this style of shots on several other holes and it makes me scratch my head and wonder.

I have a question concerning the 3rd round with Will, Steve B., Steve R., and Nate.
On hole #7, this hole has the bamboo barracade with the opening in front. The only way into the basket is to go through the opening. It isn't a long shot from tee to green just a straight drive.
Question: Why didn't most of the guys on that card throw a straight shot like Brinster did? I think Will, Nate, and Rico throw some type of hyzer shot which put them in difficult position for a second shot. I saw this style of shots on several other holes and it makes me scratch my head and wonder.

It's been my experience that for all the prodigious skills the top players in our game possess, the straight 250-300 foot shot is not a strength for many of them. Their first preference on every shot is to find a hyzer line. If it isn't there, sometimes they try to force it anyway and when it doesn't work, they call the hole unfair or "stupid" (this is often referred to as the Avery :p).

Even before hole 7 added the mandatories, the simplest approach to that hole was going straight at it between the bamboo fences. But most players still opted for the spike hyzer approach. I wasn't all that surprised to see players struggle with that hole like they did. Disappointed, but really not that surprised.

I only watched the first round so far, and I was really confused. It almost looked like a casual round without anything at stake. Very unusual plays for those guys...

It's been my experience that for all the prodigious skills the top players in our game possess, the straight 250-300 foot shot is not a strength for many of them. Their first preference on every shot is to find a hyzer line. If it isn't there, sometimes they try to force it anyway and when it doesn't work, they call the hole unfair or "stupid" (this is often referred to as the Avery :p).

Even before hole 7 added the mandatories, the simplest approach to that hole was going straight at it between the bamboo fences. But most players still opted for the spike hyzer approach. I wasn't all that surprised to see players struggle with that hole like they did. Disappointed, but really not that surprised.

Well I have heard that some players use the hyzer/ spike hyzer shot which gives them more room for error (overshoot into OB) . But I would most likely see that in more open situations.
Ineresting to hear that the big dogs don't have a laser straight shot.

I thought hole 7 had mandos that forced the throws through that opening. Their only option was to go straight through, and a lot of them were laying up instead of hitting the wall, or missing the mando.

Well I have heard that some players use the hyzer/ spike hyzer shot which gives them more room for error (overshoot into OB) . But I would most likely see that in more open situations.
Ineresting to hear that the big dogs don't have a laser straight shot.

On that hole, I've seen far more spike hyzer attempts go OB long than throws up-the-gut going long. But then again, the up-the-gut throws there that might have been off line or overthrown enough to find the OB usually hit the bamboo wall first anyway.

Seems to me that a low and flat release putter or slow mid-range thrown right up the middle is going to die out before it has even a remote chance of getting to the OB. And with such a slow flying disc, the concern of skipping into the OB should be minimal as well.

I thought hole 7 had mandos that forced the throws through that opening. Their only option was to go straight through, and a lot of them were laying up instead of hitting the wall, or missing the mando.

Yes, it was a mandatory, but those mandos were new this year. In the past, the gate was there but they could throw over the top or around if they wanted. Most player chose to do just that.

The question is why it seemed a lot of them could not execute a tee shot that made the mandatory.

could just be just flat out preference, skill notwithstanding. the champ has one of the most consistent, low flying straight shots ever in the game and always went at hole seven with a sky hyzer shot.

Side question here, but are Avery Jenkins and Valerie Jenkins husband and wife? I always assumed so, but every time I watch a Nate Doss video she is in it. Every time. Just kind of strange if she's married to Avery, and I understand that Doss and he are teammates and good friends as well.

Side question here, but are Avery Jenkins and Valerie Jenkins husband and wife? I always assumed so, but every time I watch a Nate Doss video she is in it. Every time. Just kind of strange if she's married to Avery, and I understand that Doss and he are teammates and good friends as well.

Brother and sister.

Not teammates as well :p *hug*

Nate and Val are dating.
Avery and Val are siblings (as mentioned above).
Avery and Nate are very good friends.
Avery and Val are Innova sponsored.
Nate is Discraft sponsored.

Val is basically Avery, with a smokin' hot body. Their faces look so much alike it's not even funny.