• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 USDGC

Except that Brinster would have played 18 differently if Feldy had made par on 18. But yes, that has to sting a little.

Day late and a $ short here, may have not seen this discussed amid the reams of mando/LOP rules analysis.

If Feldberg pars 18, he takes it, meaning 1st place. He was -32 thru 17, no? Double circle 7 on 18?

To me, that's gotta sting as much if not worse than Schultz's big number on 888.

Not necessarily. Steve wouldn't have played it safe on 18 if Beard was in with a -32.

Day late and a $ short here, may have not seen this discussed amid the reams of mando/LOP rules analysis.

If Feldberg pars 18, he takes it, meaning 1st place. He was -32 thru 17, no? Double circle 7 on 18?

To me, that's gotta sting as much if not worse than Schultz's big number on 888.

Considering it was his last hole of the entire event, I'd say it hurts considerably worse than any of the other competitor's holes. There's no chance to rebound.

Considering it was his last hole of the entire event, I'd say it hurts considerably worse than any of the other competitor's holes. There's no chance to rebound.

Feldberg was throwing fire the entire round, 18 was his only bad hole of the day. It was really awesome to see him tear it up all day and was very sad to see him go out like that on 18.

Feldberg knew what happened on 18. He is always on top of scores. I'm sure he was looking at Brinster's scores via live scoring.

He seemed quite upset after holing out, but wasn't throwing a fit or anything. I'm sure he was happy he made the push to even contend for the lead. He was on the 5th card I think day 2, so he really made a charge day 3 and 4.

I saw Feldberg while he was watching the last card play 17 and 18.
I overheard him saying something to the effect that he was hoping Brinster was -33 to finish.
He seemed at peace with it, but I'm sure he'd rather have the win.

I overheard Feldberg talking. He was upset at the distance the lead card was behind the second card. Had the lead card been on 17 coming in with the scores they had, he seemed to feel that he would have played 18 different. He mentioned that he would raise the issue at the next board meeting that in majors especially tournaments like this with tee times. Groups should be held back so that there is even spacing. i dont know how you accomplish this if a group is taking its time. Maybe an official needed to speed them up a bit...anyways he was frustrated that they were like 4-5 holes ahead and had no idea what they needed to do.

Will S. - I still contend that an anny putter is way more risky than a sidearm if you are going to lay up. He made the choice twice to throw backhand and it bit him.

I overheard Feldberg talking. He was upset at the distance the lead card was behind the second card. Had the lead card been on 17 coming in with the scores they had, he seemed to feel that he would have played 18 different. He mentioned that he would raise the issue at the next board meeting that in majors especially tournaments like this with tee times. Groups should be held back so that there is even spacing. i dont know how you accomplish this if a group is taking its time. Maybe an official needed to speed them up a bit...anyways he was frustrated that they were like 4-5 holes ahead and had no idea what they needed to do.

Will S. - I still contend that an anny putter is way more risky than a sidearm if you are going to lay up. He made the choice twice to throw backhand and it bit him.

Lead card started 30 min after the 2nd card.

As for Will's shot choice on 17, I still contend that you throw the shot that you are most comfortable with.

I'm still flabbergasted that Holly went 3,3,3,3 on #17. Nothing against her personally, but ANYBODY at that rating isn't going to have an easy time making 3 on that hole 4 times in a row. It's just not THAT easy, even when playing safe. Although lack of wind helps.

Lead card started 30 min after the 2nd card.

As for Will's shot choice on 17, I still contend that you throw the shot that you are most comfortable with.

While that was the case in past years, the lead card started immediately after the second card (regular 10 minute interval) this year. Both Friday and Saturday saw the leader card start 10 minutes after the 2nd card then fall multiple holes and close to a half-hour behind as the round progressed.

While Feldberg's beef is somewhat legitimate, I find it funny that he's talking about bringing it up to the board when he resigned from the board a year ago. Sure, he can suggest to a current board member that this issue be considered, but he really doesn't carry any kind of authority to bring it to the board directly or make it any kind of priority for them at all.

I would also contend that if he wanted to be in a position to know what the lead card behind him was doing scorewise, he could have simply played better all week to put himself on that card in the first place. He really can only control what he's doing. If he's letting their scores (or his lack of knowledge of their scores) influence his shot-making decisions on 18, he's only hurting himself. He's got to play smart and put up the best score he can and hope it's enough to win. He didn't go OB because he didn't know where the lead card stood. He went OB because he threw a poor shot.

My mistake on the 30 min after the 2nd card comment. Should have looked it up before posting.

While Feldberg's beef is somewhat legitimate, I find it funny that he's talking about bringing it up to the board when he resigned from the board a year ago. Sure, he can suggest to a current board member that this issue be considered, but he really doesn't carry any kind of authority to bring it to the board directly or make it any kind of priority for them at all.

All active PDGA members have the authority to bring issues to the attention of the board. It's up to the board to decide of those issues merit any consideration.

I would also contend that if he wanted to be in a position to know what the lead card behind him was doing scorewise, he could have simply played better all week to put himself on that card in the first place. He really can only control what he's doing. If he's letting their scores (or his lack of knowledge of their scores) influence his shot-making decisions on 18, he's only hurting himself. He's got to play smart and put up the best score he can and hope it's enough to win. He didn't go OB because he didn't know where the lead card stood. He went OB because he threw a poor shot.

Saying he needs to play better to be on the lead card is kind of a weak argument. Although, I also think it's kind of a weak argument to claim that knowing how the lead card will play out the final holes has any bearing on strategy at the end.

The one thing you could point to is the pace-of-play rules. The 30 second limit needs to be enforced better.

There's also this little nugget from the PDGA competition manual:

3.2 Pace of Play

A. All competitors shall play without undue delay and will make every effort to keep up with the group in front of them. Players are required to quickly move from the completion of one hole to the tee area of the next hole. Also, while advancing down the fairway, the player shall not unduly delay play by his or her actions.

B. A player causing undue delays may be issued an excessive time violation by tournament officials. Please see PDGA Official Rules of Disc Golf 804.01 Excessive Time regarding specific penalties.

I'm sure the slow pace can (mostly) be attributed to the gallery. You definitely can't play at your normal pace.

This is why the USDGC needs a final 9 to help control this.

1-7

Hole #17

Open Flight:
Brinster 3522=12
Barry 2432=11
Rico 2322=9
Nichols 2322=9
Feldberg 2222=8
Will 3326=14
Doss 2323=10
McBeth 2542=13
Orum 2224=10
Wiggins 2522=11

Performance Flight:
Maslow 3622=13
Tritt A336=22 (A=10 for you non-hex people)
Tommy 8332=16
Hanson 2533=13
PTB 2224=10
Krise 3333=12
Holly 3333=12
Sando 2422=10
Maute 2228=14
Anders 3227=14

Not necessarily. Steve wouldn't have played it safe on 18 if Beard was in with a -32.

Good point, but the "what if's" really can swing either way at that point.

If the lead card knew Fledberg was in @-32 rather than -29, puts Brinster's et al last few holes in a whole different light, being several holes behind the 2nd card.

IIRC, Brinster did birdie 17 on a long putt from the wide part of the green, but say he's standing on 17 tee needing 2 strokes to tie Feldberg...makes 17 green look about the size of a kidney bean.

I dunno, Brinster WAS peeing ice cubes all weekend. Anyways, I just hated it for Beard, to get so close, and then go OB 2x like that. As my old man says, he needed to eat 1 more Wheatie that morning.

I'm still flabbergasted that Holly went 3,3,3,3 on #17. Nothing against her personally, but ANYBODY at that rating isn't going to have an easy time making 3 on that hole 4 times in a row. It's just not THAT easy, even when playing safe. Although lack of wind helps.

She gave an interview where she said Feldberg told her to lay up, pitch over, and putt. She said it would always (ALWAYS!) be her strategy. Sounds like she executed perfectly.

Why did you say "nothing against her personally"? It sounds to me like you paid her a compliment for being consistent, not an insult.

Steve also laid up from about 10 feet on 18.

I'm pretty sure he makes par at worst.

She gave an interview where she said Feldberg told her to lay up, pitch over, and putt. She said it would always (ALWAYS!) be her strategy. Sounds like she executed perfectly.

Why did you say "nothing against her personally"? It sounds to me like you paid her a compliment for being consistent, not an insult.

The pitch-over and putt are also not a "gimme" if you've laid up. Heck, even the layup has been botched in the past.

Saying I'm flabbergasted by the consistency can be taken as an insult.