• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Ledgestone NT presented by Discraft

With the amount of money raised for this tournament almost a year ago now, does anyone view this as a small cash cow for the organizers? Say you get the 35k plus whatever else they raised early on in the planning. They can just invest the money for the year, increasing the value and then pocket the added value in addition to their cut. Kinda like free money for having the brains/drive to grow this event. Seems pretty genius to me and nice way to make a sizable payday. This happens frequently within professional gaming and those event organizers walk away sitting well after each major event (prize pools range from 250k-2million).

Not saying this is a bad thing! But has prize pools increase we could see sponsorships and funds collected earlier to allow for more equity to be made.

^its very similar to how the NYRR Club eventually gained prominence. The NYRR Club is the organization that runs the NYC Marathon and also organizes almost weekly running races throughout NYC (mostly at Central Park, but also interesting ones like run up the Empire Building's stairs).

What was once a simple little NYC running club that organized a once a year marathon, has turned into a mega corporation that has probably liquid assets in the hundreds of millions of dollars because of all the money they generate from the weekly races/memberships/sponsorship $$$. There are popular races that sell out in minutes (like the big bough rough half marathons), so on any given weekend (even in the dead of winter) you'll get up to 4,000 runners running through central park (most of whom paid 15-45$ to run.

It could be the next model in how DG explodes financially, because like running races there are actually so few top players who make any money and organizers count on the amateur population majority joining because they love the sport and want to compete even though they know the odds are the majority aren't going to cash.

The main issue/problem with disc golf attempting to copy the NYC Marathon model is the obvious...many disc golfers want/expect 100% or more return on their entry fee. Tough to make $ that way.

The main issue/problem with disc golf attempting to copy the NYC Marathon model is the obvious...many disc golfers want/expect 100% or more return on their entry fee. Tough to make $ that way.

its kind of working at the amateur levels.

there is a huge amateur tournament here in CT called the ACT held at beautiful Wickham Park. There's a sick players pack (usually up to 3 to four discs + tshirt + extras) but since its an amateur event its non PDGA and there is no prizes (like payouts or funny money) just plaques for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, prizes.

90 players for two different days and it sold out in less than a week. I didn't want to play but was reprimanded by my local open player friends because they reminded me that its probably the biggest turnout for serious amateur players and a good way to measure yourself against the regions best.

I got second in my division and was actually really happy with just a plaque because it was probably the 2nd most professionally ran tourney I have been part of.

I think the model can work with amateur tournaments funding clubs to build up some cash for operating purposes to run the big boy open tournaments like ledgestone.

Looks like a decimal point got misplaced somewhere. 1.25% of $35,000 is $437.50

You are absolutely correct, thank you catching my error. The correct number supports the point even better, of course. :)

Anybody know how to find out what pool you are in for advanced? Or is that determined after everybody checks in on Friday?

I don't have time to go copy and paste the comment, but just as an FYI....

I do not make $1 off of this tournament. I don't take a cut of anything and no one is paid for this event. The tournament budget is well into the six figures and all funds go towards the budget for the event. The added cash doesn't even account for 40% of the tournament budget.

Also FYI, this event will be covered by four video companies and live streamed by Smashboxx.

Wow, guess you're a nicer guy than me. I wouldn't take on a project that big without getting something in return. Although I'm not playing, thanks. I think ALL disc golfers should give thanks to Nate and his team.

I don't have time to go copy and paste the comment, but just as an FYI....

I do not make $1 off of this tournament. I don't take a cut of anything and no one is paid for this event. The tournament budget is well into the six figures and all funds go towards the budget for the event. The added cash doesn't even account for 40% of the tournament budget.

Also FYI, this event will be covered by four video companies and live streamed by Smashboxx.

That deserves a slow clap.

:clap::thmbup::hfive:

Couple of good cards. Wonder is sboxx is planning to skip around or follow one card (ie. mcbeth)

Nathan Doss 1:30:00 PM
Justin Jernigan 1:30:00 PM
Paul McBeth 1:30:00 PM
Paul Ulibarri 1:30:00 PM

David Feldberg 2:10:00 PM
Avery Jenkins 2:10:00 PM
Will Schusterick 2:10:00 PM
Bradley Williams 2:10:00 PM

Couple of good cards. Wonder is sboxx is planning to skip around or follow one card (ie. mcbeth)

Nathan Doss 1:30:00 PM
Justin Jernigan 1:30:00 PM
Paul McBeth 1:30:00 PM
Paul Ulibarri 1:30:00 PM
4 world Champions on that card. Lets hope JJ's hand has fully healed from last weekend. I know he was bummed to DNF at the BHM last weekend.

Latest posts