• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 "Steady" Ed Memorial Masters Cup

BgWvDave

Double Eagle Member
We have an NT getting ready to tee off so I thought I would start up a little discussion.

Does anyone know if anyone is filming? I am hoping CCDG is out there and/or maybe Jamie from Spin TV?

Just did some digging and found this on the PDGA site

"Don't get too bummed out just yet! We've worked with the tournament staff and sponsors to make sure there are an abundance of coverage videos available for the fans to watch each morning. The Open division lead card will be covered by Terry "The Disc Golf Guy" Miller with multiple camera angles. Prodigy Disc will be following the Open Women's lead card and the MPO chase card will be filmed by Central Coast Disc Golf, also with multiple camera angles"

MPO live scoring card today looks like
McBeast
Doss
Climo
Morrison

CCDG is filming chase cards.
The Disc Golf Guy got the rights to film the Mcbeth card today, as well as the lead card every other day.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed that SpinTV or CCDG didn't get the lead card this year. I love their coverage and HQ dual cams

Too bad Terry isnt doing a live broadcast.

Internet is HORRIBLE out there...Id rather see a super clean filmed version tonight/tomorrow/soon then watch them struggle with a live feed. Someday!

CCDG is filming chase cards.
The Disc Golf Guy got the rights to film the Mcbeth card today, as well as the lead card every other day.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed that SpinTV or CCDG didn't get the lead card this year. I love their coverage and HQ dual cams

Funny thing is that the City of Santa Cruz issues the permit to host this NT yearly but has specific previsions indicating free use of the park and surrounding area. Because of these previsions anyone that wants to film can do so with any card they wish. Despite what the PDGA might have you think the hippies in SC will not limit access in any way and this includes people strolling in the park taking photos or video.

Funny thing is that the City of Santa Cruz issues the permit to host this NT yearly but has specific previsions indicating free use of the park and surrounding area. Because of these previsions anyone that wants to film can do so with any card they wish. Despite what the PDGA might have you think the hippies in SC will not limit access in any way and this includes people strolling in the park taking photos or video.

It's not up to the "hippies in SC" though.

The "product" in question isn't the park, it's the tournament. The tournament is owned by the PDGA. The PDGA (via its representatives including the tournament director) holds all media rights pertaining to the tournament. Venue is irrelevant.

http://www.pdga.com/files/15_pdga_media_agreement_-_majors_nt_events.pdf

It's not up to the "hippies in SC" though.

The "product" in question isn't the park, it's the tournament. The tournament is owned by the PDGA. The PDGA (via its representatives including the tournament director) holds all media rights pertaining to the tournament. Venue is irrelevant.

http://www.pdga.com/files/15_pdga_media_agreement_-_majors_nt_events.pdf

California and Santa Cruz have public access laws that protect the public's access to public spaces. Despite what the attached form says it in no way overdrives the laws already in place. Mountain bikers and hikers are still legally permitted to go all over the course which in all years past can be seen in many of the videos of the masters cup and my personal dealings with filming the Masters for several years. Therefor anyone hiking with a camera can film anything they wish since this event is being held on public space.

The agreement you provided would not apply to John Q public and his camera as he hiked through the area.

California and Santa Cruz have public access laws that protect the public's access to public spaces. Despite what the attached form says it in no way overdrives the laws already in place. Mountain bikers and hikers are still legally permitted to go all over the course which in all years past can be seen in many of the videos of the masters cup and my personal dealings with filming the Masters for several years. Therefor anyone hiking with a camera can film anything they wish since this event is being held on public space.

The agreement you provided would not apply to John Q public and his camera as he hiked through the area.

No one is saying that the park is closed and no one can do anything during the tournament. And no one is saying that the PDGA has any control over John Q Public and his taking pictures as he hikes, particularly if the pictures he takes are solely for his own use and amusement.

But if someone is specifically following a group of players in a PDGA tournament in order to film them and distribute the resulting video (say upload it to Youtube or burn DVDs and sell them), then the PDGA absolutely has a say.

Let's put it another way...if John Q Public follows the lead card and video tapes it, they may not be able to stop him for a number of reasons including not even realizing he's doing it at the time. However, if he then uploads his video to Youtube, the PDGA can petition Youtube to have it removed as it is their product being displayed without their permission. No different than if a person recorded a movie from their television then put it up on Youtube...the persons/company that owns the rights to the movie can have it taken down.

Even if we take your argument as correct with regard to filming in DeLaveaga, the folks that do video coverage (Smashboxx, CCDG, Spin, etc) have it in their best interest to get proper permission for their videos regardless of what you think the local laws allow. If they went out with the lead card this weekend and filmed without PDGA permission and then distributed the video online without PDGA permission, they'd be jeopardizing their ability to do so in the future at events where your alleged "free to do whatever they want" rules don't apply.

But if someone is specifically following a group of players in a PDGA tournament in order to film them and distribute the resulting video (say upload it to Youtube or burn DVDs and sell them), then the PDGA absolutely has a say.
Agree.
--------------------
Let's put it another way...if John Q Public follows the lead card and video tapes it, they may not be able to stop him for a number of reasons including not even realizing he's doing it at the time. However, if he then uploads his video to Youtube, the PDGA can petition Youtube to have it removed as it is their product being displayed without their permission. No different than if a person recorded a movie from their television then put it up on Youtube...the persons/company that owns the rights to the movie can have it taken down.
Disagree. If they youtube the video and are not monetizing it, there is nothing the PDGA can do about it. It's public space and way different the NFL or a movie.

JC IMO you are the sharpest tool in DGCR's shed (no sarcasm..actual compliment). just wanted to share that with you.

Agree.
--------------------

Disagree. If they youtube the video and are not monetizing it, there is nothing the PDGA can do about it. It's public space and way different the NFL or a movie.

Pretty much my point, thank you for detailing.

Latest posts