• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you listen to the Smashboxx podcast it makes the whole thing pretty clear. If you get to the point where Paul describes John's apology, and concern that it not impact the end of Paul's round, well, that is good enough. John has no reason to apologize to the rest of us, only to Paul, and he's done that.

BTW - the donkey's who are sending John PM's of a vindictive nature are jerks, no really, there is no place for that. A public board is all good fun even when we become puerile, but a threatening PM isn't, not ever.

I would add that John does need to consider his on round behavior. He is becoming bad Nikko. Nikko beats himself up so bad that he is a distraction. John is taking it out on spectators, and competitors, that is a step to far. Yep, he doesn't mean it, that's clear, it's also insufficient.

I don't think they'd be expected to wait 10+ minutes in such a case, but I would hope that if a player was taking more than a couple minutes (and he didn't indicate that his bathroom trip was of the emergency/could take a while variety), they might try to check on him before deciding what to do next. At the very least, give him the opportunity to say "go on without me" if he's having issues finishing up.

The rules do allow for a player to miss holes in the middle of the round and be assigned par+4 for those holes (rule 803.03 G 6). However, that doesn't involve 30 second counts or groups moving on without the player's knowledge or consent. The hole is scored par+4 but the "procedure" is not that of a player who is late to start their round.

The biggest issue with applying the start of the round clock rule in the middle of the round is that there is no concrete moment from which to begin the "clock". At the start of the round, there is a start call/horn and the first player's time starts then (and the second player after he's done and so on). On holes in the middle of the round, when one decides someone is late is a whole lot more nebulous considering the excessive time rule comes into play and that whole "reasonable time to reach the lie" thing.

Another way to handle the situation is to follow 805.01 Appeals.

(b) If an official is readily available, the group shall stand aside to seek the official's ruling, allowing other groups to play through.

(c) If an official is not readily available, the group shall proceed in one of two ways. The group may reach a decision with the benefit of the doubt going to the thrower, and continue play. Alternatively, if the thrower does not wish to continue play under the group's decision, the thrower may declare a provisional per 804.06 B. The use of provisional throws is encouraged in all situations where the thrower questions the group's or an official's ruling.

I think (b) is the only condition where other groups may play through in a sanctioned tournament. However, if the absent player's situation requires an inordinate amount of time, this may be a fall back option. Clearly, this is kind of an artificial way to permit the absent player to take the time needed without assessing a penalty or causing a back up when following groups arrive at the tee.

If the group decides to apply (c) and assess a par+4 penalty (per JC's post), the player may contest it by playing the hole and appealing to the TD after the round.

Either way, there are options provided in the rule book.

BTW - the donkey's who are sending John PM's of a vindictive nature are jerks, no really, there is no place for that. A public board is all good fun even when we become puerile, but a threatening PM isn't, not ever.
Not that it excuses the behavior... but a PM can be ignored. With the 'sport' growing and becoming more popular, people are going to get hated on, trash talked and outright trolololol'd.

I'm sure any professional sports player could show you an inbox full of PM's that would make Larry Flynt, Charles Manson and Stalin himself blush.

At a certain point public figures just need to either isolate themselves from direct social media contact (ie. having a 'social media manager' as an in-between) or, if they find value in engaging directly, learn to look past the idiots.

I think the blame here should be on Philo. To be the guy who played slower than the rules allow all weekend, he sure didn't have any trouble stepping up and throwing knowing Paul was off the course, starting Paul's clock, and causing all this crap. #teammates

No chance. Blame Philo? For what? Why wouldn't he wait for PM if he knew he was taking a leak? GTFOH with that noise.

A) folks can bellyache about Philo's pace credibly right after they get done bellyaching about players not calling him on it, right after they get done bellyaching about other players exceeding 30sec, right after they get done bellyaching about all the fairway foot faults and right after they get done bellyaching about all the illegal jump-putting.

B) He had no idea what was happening behind him at 16.

C) After he posted his back to back bogeys, effectively losing a shot at the top spot, he just wanted to play out the round as well as he could, as innocuously as he could.

To say, "the blame should be on Philo" couldn't be any less correct.

Simplest thing to do for PM here would have been not to report his score before taking care of business. There is no time limit for reporting your score. Without his score, the teeing order cannot be established, and no 30 second clock could have been started.

Simplest thing to do for PM here would have been not to report his score before taking care of business. There is no time limit for reporting your score. Without his score, the teeing order cannot be established, and no 30 second clock could have been started.

good show

Genius!

IIRC MaBeth went from 15 basket to the bathroom before arriving at 16 tee. Did he report his score?

Not that it excuses the behavior... but a PM can be ignored. With the 'sport' growing and becoming more popular, people are going to get hated on, trash talked and outright trolololol'd.

I'm sure any professional sports player could show you an inbox full of PM's that would make Larry Flynt, Charles Manson and Stalin himself blush.

At a certain point public figures just need to either isolate themselves from direct social media contact (ie. having a 'social media manager' as an in-between) or, if they find value in engaging directly, learn to look past the idiots.

I'm going to disagree with you. People don't write things in public like they send in PMs. Threats etc. Or at least not often. I'm always going to be of the opinion that such is not okay, whether John, or anyone else for that matter, ignores it or not. If you think it's okay to send a threatening note about the person you are writing to, or about someone they know, you've stepped over the line.

BTW - I used to get public posts on the DISCussion board from a guy that would talk about his hand guns. There are some truly nutso people out there.

This will probably get washed away, but here goes...

Can anyone tell me what the "test flight" disc in the players package is? A "Reaper"?

Not sure it's that simple. Sounds good, but there are number of rules that apply, most start with a warning. The simplest thing to do is what Paul did. You tell the card you are watering the grass, and you assume they are going to be adult about it.

I'm going to disagree with you. People don't write things in public like they send in PMs. Threats etc. Or at least not often. I'm always going to be of the opinion that such is not okay, whether John, or anyone else for that matter, ignores it or not. If you think it's okay to send a threatening note about the person you are writing to, or about someone they know, you've stepped over the line.

BTW - I used to get public posts on the DISCussion board from a guy that would talk about his hand guns. There are some truly nutso people out there.
You don't need to agree with me. I'm telling you that it IS the reality of the situation. Nothing anybody says or does will change it short of a system like South Korea where everybody internet activity is registered with the government.

So really there are a couple ways to deal with it. Drive yourself crazy trying to hunt down every single person IRL who slights you on the internet. Or mark the person as an idiot not worth your time and move on with your life.

No chance. Blame Philo? For what? Why wouldn't he wait for PM if he knew he was taking a leak? GTFOH with that noise.

A) folks can bellyache about Philo's pace credibly right after they get done bellyaching about players not calling him on it, right after they get done bellyaching about other players exceeding 30sec, right after they get done bellyaching about all the fairway foot faults and right after they get done bellyaching about all the illegal jump-putting.

B) He had no idea what was happening behind him at 16.

C) After he posted his back to back bogeys, effectively losing a shot at the top spot, he just wanted to play out the round as well as he could, as innocuously as he could.

To say, "the blame should be on Philo" couldn't be any less correct.

I don't want to speak for tbird, but I read his post as tongue in cheek and sarcastic.
Buuuuut.... I've been wrong once before, so who knows.

I don't want to speak for tbird, but I read his post as tongue in cheek and sarcastic.
Buuuuut.... I've been wrong once before, so who knows.

Yeah, I like Philo. If the criticism of him over McPeeGate is honest, my defense stands. If it was ironic, disregard my defense, I guess. Either way, no hard feelings.

I'll have to try that at the next iOS I play...

Yes, writing a private message threatening or otherwise uninvited is disgraceful. If you think Johne sucks then why not just challenge Johne to a round for $100... You know like a duel with discs? I'm sure he'd throw the round with his left hand and still beat everyone on here by 5 strokes.... at 40 something years old.

Yes, writing a private message threatening or otherwise uninvited is disgraceful. If you think Johne sucks then why not just challenge Johne to a round for $100... You know like a duel with discs? I'm sure he'd throw the round with his left hand and still beat everyone on here by 5 strokes.... at 40 something years old.

Lol its just disc golf.... I'd bet $100 that people hate his antics more than someone who pond dives... Uh oh...

You don't need to agree with me. I'm telling you that it IS the reality of the situation. Nothing anybody says or does will change it short of a system like South Korea where everybody internet activity is registered with the government.
Pretty sure you are meaning the NORTH Korea. South is like the opposite of that. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts