• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my original thought that I conveyed earlier. Definitely a lot of McBeth apologisers on here. I guess Johne's salty way of doing the right thing was a result of the top pro disrespecting the group. A lot of responses I got were that McBeth told everyone... turns out to be false. I don't think Johne would post that if it were not true.

So my question is now... did McBeth take his warning? Or was it blown off after breaking a rule of the game during a major tournament? Please only answer if you know. A lot of speculation on here from people that don't really know.

How did Johne do the right thing? He didn't do anything other than cry like a baby on camera about a rule in which he was uncertain what the correct call was and on top of that the rule is open to interpretation regarding the being free and clear of distractions.

Homer-Walks-Into-Bar-and-Leaves.gif

I would say that your edit helps clarify, but it is unnecessary. The use of the term "subsequent" already includes "continues" in its meaning.
If the rule was "This procedure continues on any future tee offs for which a player is absent", then Skinny would have a point. Or "This procedure continues on any following tee offs" or "any other tee offs". But "any subsequent tee off" directly means "if the player continues to be absent".

But these are disc golfers we're talking about, so there's nothing wrong with redundant clarity.

42300179.jpg

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subsequent

"Any subsequent tee off" means exactly the same thing as "any following tee off". But you are a disc golfer after all.

Finally had a chance to watch the "incident". Holy crap is JM something else. How immature to start counting out load. Unbelievable a dude with a big Flava Flav sized cross around his neck would be so ridiculous. PM parking the shot was about as clutch as it gets.

side note: What's the deal with an over 40 dude wearing a doo-rag and baseball cap. AND, IF he and others truly want disc golf to go "big time", you can't expect to move spectators in line with the basket, but 50-100 feet away, from your line of sight. Dude is irritating, to say the least. And yes, I would say it to his face.

I think it's a bandana to prevent sweat from getting in his eyes and also from ruining his hat.

Finally had a chance to watch the "incident". Holy crap is JM something else. How immature to start counting out load. Unbelievable a dude with a big Flava Flav sized cross around his neck would be so ridiculous. PM parking the shot was about as clutch as it gets.

side note: What's the deal with an over 40 dude wearing a doo-rag and baseball cap. AND, IF he and others truly want disc golf to go "big time", you can't expect to move spectators in line with the basket, but 50-100 feet away, from your line of sight. Dude is irritating, to say the least. And yes, I would say it to his face.

Pointing out someone's pettiness, followed by pettiness making fun of their clothes. Good one...:wall:

How did Johne do the right thing? He didn't do anything other than cry like a baby on camera about a rule in which he was uncertain what the correct call was and on top of that the rule is open to interpretation regarding the being free and clear of distractions.

I never said he wasn't being salty, he totally was. In my opinion, as a 20+ year player with (not sure exactly) 300 PDGA wins, mid 40's and still going stroke for stroke with the best half his age, I think he deserves to get a little salty when someone takes off and disrupts the flow of the lead card. I'm going to stand by my opinion, I respect yours as well.

I never said he wasn't being salty, he totally was. In my opinion, as a 20+ year player with (not sure exactly) 300 PDGA wins, mid 40's and still going stroke for stroke with the best half his age, I think he deserves to get a little salty when someone takes off and disrupts the flow of the lead card. I'm going to stand by my opinion, I respect yours as well.

he wasn't smoking a joint or flirting with a sideline reporter, he was USING THE BATHROOM. I'm sure he had been 3-4 hours without using it while also properly hydrating himself, jesus christ

he wasn't smoking a joint or flirting with a sideline reporter, he was USING THE BATHROOM. I'm sure he had been 3-4 hours without using it while also properly hydrating himself, jesus christ

Purely for the sake of being argumentative:

Paul drinks a ton of water and is somewhat notorious for peeing a lot during rounds. What if that was his 4th or 5th pee break of the round? Are we allowed to be salty then?

I think the blame here should be on Philo. To be the guy who played slower than the rules allow all weekend, he sure didn't have any trouble stepping up and throwing knowing Paul was off the course, starting Paul's clock, and causing all this crap. #teammates

Paul drinks a ton of water and is somewhat notorious for peeing a lot during rounds. What if that was his 4th or 5th pee break of the round? Are we allowed to be salty then?

I don't know have you earned the right to be salty? jk..Apparently he didnt know where he was. Anyways, I just watched the smashboxx interview post tourney with Paul. He says Johne apologised on the next tee for acting like that and everything was cool. So, I guess its squashed and really a non issue now. I'm done with this thread, lets get on with the next tourney and find another topic.

First of all, not trolling, serious question. It has been established that the par+4 rule doesnt apply after a player has played a hole, I get that its a warning if later in a round you use more than 30 seconds to throw. That being said . . .

Can someone walk me through the proper procedure if a card shows up to, lets say, hole 11, no one knows where one of the players is. Card waits a minute or two assuming missing player will show up but player hasn't shown. What happens next?

I would have assumed, prior to this thread, that at some point missing player will be skipped and take par+4 for that hole and any hole until they return. Does the procedure differ any if the card does know of the players whereabouts but an extended period of time has elapsed? If a player leaves for the bathroom and is gone for 10 mins is the card expected to just keep waiting?

what if he has an irregular or small bladder, a condition that causes him to frequently use the bathroom? I just quickly glanced and didn't find the PDGA policy on players with special conditions, but I would imagine in this day and age that they have plenty of language protecting those who wish to play despite having disabilities. The bottom line is that it is ridiculous for a player like JohnE to pull this kind of thing, whether he apologized on the next hole or not. Disc golf, like traditional golf, ultimate, whatever, is based on players recognizing and abiding by the spirit of the game. Pace of play is something that is always subjective, and any rational person could make a concession for a player needing to use the restroom.

First of all, not trolling, serious question. It has been established that the par+4 rule doesnt apply after a player has played a hole, I get that its a warning if later in a round you use more than 30 seconds to throw. That being said . . .

Can someone walk me through the proper procedure if a card shows up to, lets say, hole 11, no one knows where one of the players is. Card waits a minute or two assuming missing player will show up but player hasn't shown. What happens next?

I would have assumed, prior to this thread, that at some point missing player will be skipped and take par+4 for that hole and any hole until they return. Does the procedure differ any if the card does know of the players whereabouts but an extended period of time has elapsed? If a player leaves for the bathroom and is gone for 10 mins is the card expected to just keep waiting?

That's actually a great point. I would agree that at some point you would have to keep playing without them, but I wouldn't be 100% sure how to handle it. Call the TD first thing, I suppose

That's actually a great point. I would agree that at some point you would have to keep playing without them, but I wouldn't be 100% sure how to handle it. Call the TD first thing, I suppose

This is why I would have had the same thought process, rule wise, as JohnE. Everyone knows the par+4 rule, I cant think of another rule that applies to a player completely missing their position in the teeing order. I always assumed par+4 kicked back in.

I don't think they'd be expected to wait 10+ minutes in such a case, but I would hope that if a player was taking more than a couple minutes (and he didn't indicate that his bathroom trip was of the emergency/could take a while variety), they might try to check on him before deciding what to do next. At the very least, give him the opportunity to say "go on without me" if he's having issues finishing up.

The rules do allow for a player to miss holes in the middle of the round and be assigned par+4 for those holes (rule 803.03 G 6). However, that doesn't involve 30 second counts or groups moving on without the player's knowledge or consent. The hole is scored par+4 but the "procedure" is not that of a player who is late to start their round.

The biggest issue with applying the start of the round clock rule in the middle of the round is that there is no concrete moment from which to begin the "clock". At the start of the round, there is a start call/horn and the first player's time starts then (and the second player after he's done and so on). On holes in the middle of the round, when one decides someone is late is a whole lot more nebulous considering the excessive time rule comes into play and that whole "reasonable time to reach the lie" thing.

Last edited:
They typically issue warnings only if they have fallen behind the group in front of them and the group behind them is on their tail. Of course, the final group will not be pushed by a group behind them meaning the last group is unlikely to ever get a delay warning (unless the TV producer says they need to speed it up so they don't finish after the show deadline).

Exactly Chuck and that should really be the corollary here. This is a "pace of play" rule just like in golf. It serves no purpose to start looking at 30 second clocks for everyone if the result is that things are already flowing as fast as they reasonably can given backups at the subsequent holes. Unless someone is blatantly abusing the "timing issue" it should only be brought up to address pace of play (i.e., speed it up because we are holding groups up behind us while if we were quicker we would already be 2/3rds of the way through the next hole). This is not the same thing as "ignoring foot faults" or giving generous OB rulings. With that in mind it should never have been brought up on McBeth at hole 16. He was not being chronically slow throughout the round and this had no impact on backing things up for other cards.

what if he has an irregular or small bladder, a condition that causes him to frequently use the bathroom? I just quickly glanced and didn't find the PDGA policy on players with special conditions, but I would imagine in this day and age that they have plenty of language protecting those who wish to play despite having disabilities. ...

Well, all they gotta do is measure his bladder. Oh wait, how small does it have to be to qualify?

Status
Not open for further replies.