• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Beaver State Fling - Amateur Lottery is now open.

I managed to avoid the spoilers and watched the final round video last night (CCDG). What a great final round and dramatic ending. I was cheering the screen out loud. Perfect lead in to Worlds.

I almost avoided them. Until I went to watch the vids yesterday and the Ricky interview pod cast was sitting right next to it...:wall::wall::wall::wall:

I'm a pretty big Cat fan, especially after last year where she had the guts to compete against the men and turned in one of the best seasons by a woman, ever.
That said, something does seem off about her this year. It's mostly noticeable on the putting green--sometimes she seems as if she wishes she were somewhere else, and it looks like she is having trouble recovering from missed putts. I think the *appearance* at times is that she stops caring--however, my read is that she cares a lot, and perhaps detaching in a way is the only way she can stomach playing poorly. Maybe relationships with the other players is a factor. I don't know. Something's up, though. Could be a shoulder injury, similar to what's going on with Shusterick. I'm rooting for her to kick it into gear for the rest of the season.

I almost avoided them. Until I went to watch the vids yesterday and the Ricky interview pod cast was sitting right next to it...:wall::wall::wall::wall:

It's hard to avoid but so much more fun to watch when you don't know.

Same thing happened to me. I got a youtube push notification for the smashboxx Beaver State wrap-up/Ricky Wysocki interview.

Yeah I almost made it spoiler free, until I saw Disc Golf Guy in the BSF post discussion live with Ricky on youtube...

That was a great tourney to watch. Ricky really bottled some lightning at the right time with those long putts. I felt like he was right there all tourney but just kept getting bad rolls/skips too often to string some good holes together. And McBeth, wow, that's a tough pill to swallow. He really played great but just was uncharacteristically un-clutch. I wonder if the young guns of Eagle and Barela nipping at his heels most of the tourney wore him down mentally? I wouldn't think that someone of his caliber would get fazed by the competition but those two kids can do serious damage with those big arms if they get hot.

Womern talk: Paige just killed it, all props to her. She owned that course. I don't think Cat played all that bad but she definitely doesn't look like she has much confidence right now, either with her game or dare I say equipment? I was also a little disappointed in Weese, it looks like she got a little exposed. She seems to spray her drives a little bit so the woods were not her best venue. Impressed by Hokom's backhand though, I didn't know she had been adding to that the arsenal. If she gets that to the level of her FH then Paige might have to sweat a bit more.

Here's my obligatory complaining about CCDG and Jomez: For the guy's commentary, no real complaints other than that one of them (Ian I think) sounded like he was getting too close to his mike. I didn't really have a problem with the women's commentary either. Paige and Madison were fine to listen to but I would prefer they cut back on the giggles a bit if they're going to be a regular thing. If they were guys I would have thought they had done bong rips before the commentary.

Val looks great in discraft gear. Those Thrashers were working great for her most of the time. Seems like she picked the wrong one a few times. She has that orange flippy one and that purple tour series. I seen her grab the wrong one a few times and lead her to taking extra strokes. She will dial it in though. Her approach and putt is on point. I think i saw her using a Comet a few times wwhich fits her game better than the Buzzz imo.

Felt bad for Doss. He didnt seem confident putting.

Great videos by CCDG. Loved them all. Props

What a great final round and dramatic ending. I was cheering the screen out loud. Perfect lead in to Worlds.

Couldn't agree more. Can't imagine a better lead-in to the Paul v. Ricky Worlds matchup than a playoff the week before.

Major Spoiler Alert

Here is how the players fared during the Beaver State Fling. This shows their expected final score before the tournament started (at the left), and after each hole.

Paul's biggest advantage came after hole 14 of round 2, when his expected score was 210.8 and Ricky's was 217.7.

Notably, Paul never had a hole where he gained one full throw against his expected score. His best hole was #8 of round 1 where his score was 2 and his expected score for the hole was 2.92. His worst hole was the last one, where he scored 4, but his expected score was just 2.67.

The best single hole gain among the players shown was Paul Ulibarri's 4 on hole 14 of round 4, where his expected score was 5.28.

It should be no surprise that the worst single hole for any of these players was Anthony Barela's 7 on hole 10 of Round 4 where his expected score was 3.60. It came immediately after his best hole, his 2 on #9 where his expected score was 3.13.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BSF Tracks.jpg
    BSF Tracks.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 136
That was a great tourney to watch. Ricky really bottled some lightning at the right time with those long putts. I felt like he was right there all tourney but just kept getting bad rolls/skips too often to string some good holes together. And McBeth, wow, that's a tough pill to swallow. He really played great but just was uncharacteristically un-clutch. I wonder if the young guns of Eagle and Barela nipping at his heels most of the tourney wore him down mentally? I wouldn't think that someone of his caliber would get fazed by the competition but those two kids can do serious damage with those big arms if they get hot.

Womern talk: Paige just killed it, all props to her. She owned that course. I don't think Cat played all that bad but she definitely doesn't look like she has much confidence right now, either with her game or dare I say equipment? I was also a little disappointed in Weese, it looks like she got a little exposed. She seems to spray her drives a little bit so the woods were not her best venue. Impressed by Hokom's backhand though, I didn't know she had been adding to that the arsenal. If she gets that to the level of her FH then Paige might have to sweat a bit more.

Here's my obligatory complaining about CCDG and Jomez: For the guy's commentary, no real complaints other than that one of them (Ian I think) sounded like he was getting too close to his mike. I didn't really have a problem with the women's commentary either. Paige and Madison were fine to listen to but I would prefer they cut back on the giggles a bit if they're going to be a regular thing. If they were guys I would have thought they had done bong rips before the commentary.

Val looks great in discraft gear. Those Thrashers were working great for her most of the time. Seems like she picked the wrong one a few times. She has that orange flippy one and that purple tour series. I seen her grab the wrong one a few times and lead her to taking extra strokes. She will dial it in though. Her approach and putt is on point. I think i saw her using a Comet a few times wwhich fits her game better than the Buzzz imo.

Felt bad for Doss. He didnt seem confident putting.

Great videos by CCDG. Loved them all. Props

Thanks so much! So happy with how they came out :)

RE: my audio. If you're talking about round 4, it wasn't that I was too close to the mic. I was skyping on a new computer, and forgot to lock the Skype audio level, so it auto adjusted (terribly) a couple times :(

Yeah Ian you nearly blew out my eardrum a few times in round 4, ouch.. Other than that the videos were absolutely exquisite!

And I too agree about the womens comentary, Pierce and Walker were so giggly at times I'd have thought they were 13 years old if I didnt know any better. When they kept it more professional, though, I really enjoyed it.

To be fair, I think it was just Madison with the giggles. I just finished watching the women's coverage. One of my "complaints" is that Madison and Paige sound quite similar, making it tough for me to know who is talking. Nice to hear their point of view, though (especially, Paige, who played so amazingly).

I feel for Cat. She was playing great but had some poor holes down the stretch. On the other hand, Val wasn't making a lot of mistakes, so she deserved her 2nd place finish. Seems like she's pretty comfortable with her Discraft stuff.

To be fair, I think it was just Madison with the giggles. I just finished watching the women's coverage. One of my "complaints" is that Madison and Paige sound quite similar, making it tough for me to know who is talking. Nice to hear their point of view, though (especially, Paige, who played so amazingly).

I feel for Cat. She was playing great but had some poor holes down the stretch. On the other hand, Val wasn't making a lot of mistakes, so she deserved her 2nd place finish. Seems like she's pretty comfortable with her Discraft stuff.

Yeah, I agree. I think Paige is fine. Madison is borderline ridicules though. I think Val and Paige would be a good combo though.

Eagle and Simon bring a fair amount of chuckles to commentary. But that's cool and so are the giggles because I'm more interested in being entertained than some level of professionalism.

I didn't have any interest in the exit velocity numbers and wish CCDG would have referenced them much less. Love their work and find them to be knowledgeable and entertaining but found they were distracted by the exit velocity numbers.

I didn't have any interest in the exit velocity numbers and wish CCDG would have referenced them much less. Love their work and find them to be knowledgeable and entertaining but found they were distracted by the exit velocity numbers.

I disagree. I actually enjoyed the exit velocity, I just wish it had been a constant stat they had showed for at least every tee shot. It was definitely an interesting thing to watch between the different holes etc

I disagree. I actually enjoyed the exit velocity, I just wish it had been a constant stat they had showed for at least every tee shot. It was definitely an interesting thing to watch between the different holes etc

If it was posted in the right corner for every throw and comments were made about it at interesting moments -- "that disc might have turned over given that surprising exit velocity" -- then that would make sense. From my perspective, it was the go-to point of reference too often, to the extent that sometimes the commentary lagged behind the action because of too much time spent on EV discussion. It shouldn't be part of the "play-by-play." It's data that can inform analysis.

If it was posted in the right corner for every throw and comments were made about it at interesting moments -- "that disc might have turned over given that surprising exit velocity" -- then that would make sense. From my perspective, it was the go-to point of reference too often, to the extent that sometimes the commentary lagged behind the action because of too much time spent on EV discussion. It shouldn't be part of the "play-by-play." It's data that can inform analysis.

Ahhh, I see your point. I think they did make references to that a few times, particularly with Doss and McBeth, and I think Hole 10 as well (The first of the parking lot island greens), and in that moment it was definitely interesting. However, I do see where you're coming from on just mentioning it for the sake of mentioning it.

I do think (and correct me if I'm wrong) this was the first tournament they had the speed gun, so my expectation would be that as they do more tournaments and get used to it, the exit speed will become more integrated into the commentary.

I do think (and correct me if I'm wrong) this was the first tournament they had the speed gun, so my expectation would be that as they do more tournaments and get used to it, the exit speed will become more integrated into the commentary.

Yes, I think that's right, and I agree. :thmbup:

Yeah I liked that stat a lot, and I think as they and we get used to it it'll be more and more interesting. For example over time we'll know how often Eagle hits 75MPH, so if he's throwing a tunnel shot at 68 we'd know he's really backing off (whereas if it's first round and he's paired with some local guys, 68MPH may be an absolute smash of smashes for them compared to a safety accurate tunnel for Eagle).

Latest posts