• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Master Cup Santa Cruz, CA

As an aside, if you watch the SFO smashcutt, i saw a lot of foot rolls out of the teebox. Not sure if faults but they were widely distributed.

i never said it's a non issue. i'm a huge believer in playing within the rules.

the only time i think ricky should have self confirmed was at the memorial. that was super obvious. i can't think of any other examples where the stance violation was so clear that rick could call it on himself.

what are some examples, other than at the memorial, of stance violations that you think rick should absolutely have called on himself?

The one at World's last year comes to mind.(At least I think it was worlds). He was standing on a log and it rolled on him. Now to be fair, it was like an 8-12ft putt and you could tell the other guys were like, "meh" when ricky looked at them, but we all have seen Ricky have that same putt spit back at him. He should have been forced to reputt under last years rules. Though, I don't believe under last years rules he could have called it on himself, right?

Correct; in fact, it wouldn't have been a penalty at all, except for the loss of his do-over. IMHO that's the incident that caused the rule changes; I believe they were meant to incentivize pros to make those sorts of calls since it will still be a penalty and they don't have to rethrow. I think getting rid of the warning is good, but I'd like to see a return to rethrowing rather than advancing to the lie.

what are some examples, other than at the memorial, of stance violations that you think rick should absolutely have called on himself?

Hole 10, when Philo called it immediately but it wasn't confirmed by anyone. Philo called it fast enough that Wysocki could've seen he was way ahead of where he normally is after a throw, even if he had done his follow-through. We'll never know if Wysocki knew, as he's shown he's not going to self-confirm at all, which of course has been the contention in this conversation from the get-go...

one more q: do you think ricky's the only person that foot faults? if not, why is he the only player that people complain about?

He's not the only one that foot faults, and he's not the only one called out on it nor the only o e that has generated complaints.

But your question shows how you continue to miss the point: it's not the foot faults in and of themselves, it's a continuing pattern of Wysocki showing open disdain for the rules, and others showing similar disdain in their defense of him. That Facebook video was a huge example of the disdain for the rules and attempt to distract from the real issue of the lack of integrity shown by Wysocki.

Again, at the Memorial, as Nikko called the fault, and Wysocki is very clearly on video seen to be grabbing his cart and all but sprinting to get out of there. While the faults on the tee boxes were likely unintentional, I believe the Memorial/Nikki fault was intentional to give Wysocki a better throwing angle. And again, Wysocki and Paul getting into the heated argument last year over Wysocki not self-reporting not having his disc properly uniquely marked. The cumulative effect is one of chronic lack of integrity regarding the rules.

The one at World's last year comes to mind.(At least I think it was worlds). He was standing on a log and it rolled on him. Now to be fair, it was like an 8-12ft putt and you could tell the other guys were like, "meh" when ricky looked at them, but we all have seen Ricky have that same putt spit back at him. He should have been forced to reputt under last years rules. Though, I don't believe under last years rules he could have called it on himself, right?

You're right: at Worlds, Wysocki slipped (I don't remember the log roll, but that might've happened) and did not maintain balance on the in-the-circle putt. At the time, he could not self call, and to his credit he was asking the others if they were going to call it. I think he was prepared to re-putt after the first time warning with no strokes added to his score.

HOWEVER, the person on the card with him was JohnE McCray... who was also "not watching" on the Memorial/Nikko call, even though McCray was standing right there. So McCray SHOULD have called the violation Wysocki at Worlds, but apparently just chose not to. I don't fault Wysocki on that; plenty other issues surround Wysocki, anyway.

one more q: do you think ricky's the only person that foot faults? if not, why is he the only player that people complain about?

Maybe because he's one of the top players in the world?

As in other sports, the top guys are under the microscope more than others.

How they react to that is very indicative of their character.

If the top pros want to be in a professional sport, well then their play is going to be judged/commented on.

He's not the only one that foot faults, and he's not the only one called out on it nor the only o e that has generated complaints.

But your question shows how you continue to miss the point: it's not the foot faults in and of themselves, it's a continuing pattern of Wysocki showing open disdain for the rules, and others showing similar disdain in their defense of him. That Facebook video was a huge example of the disdain for the rules and attempt to distract from the real issue of the lack of integrity shown by Wysocki.

Again, at the Memorial, as Nikko called the fault, and Wysocki is very clearly on video seen to be grabbing his cart and all but sprinting to get out of there. While the faults on the tee boxes were likely unintentional, I believe the Memorial/Nikki fault was intentional to give Wysocki a better throwing angle. And again, Wysocki and Paul getting into the heated argument last year over Wysocki not self-reporting not having his disc properly uniquely marked. The cumulative effect is one of chronic lack of integrity regarding the rules.

It wasn't his disc that was improperly marked and he was quoted later as saying it wasn't an issue with the rule or that Paul called it. His issue was that he has a complaint with people who seem to make calls at times or in a manner that seems like they are trying to rattle a competitor. His complaint wasn't the call on the unmarked disc... again not his disc and wasn't a call on him... it was the way Paul went after it and called the TD over about it rather than just saying something to the guy.

I still with all of this don't think any of the drives at DeLa Ricky was going to be able to look back and say um... yeah stepped over he has a big follow through and always follows through... and Anthon foot faulted on at least 3 drives as well. Again the same run-up plant drive and follow through from an elevated teebox is not a foot fault. That facebook video I don't see as any kind of disdain for the rules but you are already stuck on that. This was a response to the internet, they even start off by saying the whole internet keeps saying he should start further back, what do you think is it possible... then he does. It wasn't mocking the rule it was mocking the arm chair quarterbacks that are sub 900 rated making a suggestion on how he should change his game.

His memorial? Also unsure he was fully aware of the self confirming since it was such an early tournament. Yes I believe he was pretty sure he foot faulted, but I know from being in a position like that a lot of the time what goes through ones head is a lot of self doubt... did I move my foot? did I really plant that far away? I must have taken a step back? From the footage he very much abbreviates his last step and plants waaaay shorter than he normally does for a forehand. Was that intentional disdain for rules? I don't think so I think it was focusing on the shot and came up short. Nikko was right there watching and made a good call, but no one else did, they were focused on the shot itself. He didn't pick up and walk away until Nikko didn't get a confirmation from anyone else and started to get combative. No one asked for self confirmation in real time either. Was he supposed to just stand and wait until Nikko got it all out of his system? Besides picking up the disc doesn't matter anymore because the resulting throw still would have been the lie.

The thing is what set me off was your original statement that he has "No character, NONE!"
All I could think was, wow I don't follow these guys but that's a pretty bold statement based on just watching these guys on video competing. The more I've watched the incidents that have been talked about the more I think you're slightly off your rocker. I don't get too fanboyish or up in arms good or bad about any pro athlete, its awesome to hear when they have a great reputation, but so often when I hear people bag on them my question is what interaction have you had with them personally and outside of seeing them in competition to make these bold claims about their character? You can say you've seen enough from the footage to make that claim, but I will just wholeheartedly disagree with that statement about any pro athlete that gets bashed on.

As a point. I don't think any player is gonna have a "good" time to make a call. Most rules require an immediate call for obvious reasons. Or is the logic, I make lots of "small" mistakes but they only call one when it will rattle me?

I've never seen any player go, oh cool dude, you're right, I did miss my foot placement by two feet.

It wasn't his disc that was improperly marked and he was quoted later as saying it wasn't an issue with the rule or that Paul called it. His issue was that he has a complaint with people who seem to make calls at times or in a manner that seems like they are trying to rattle a competitor. His complaint wasn't the call on the unmarked disc... again not his disc and wasn't a call on him... it was the way Paul went after it and called the TD over about it rather than just saying something to the guy.

Neither Wysocki's nor the other disc was marked at all, and they were identical mold and color, so they couldn't be told apart. Wysocki's disc WAS part of the problem there. And I believe Paul was correct to do what he did in that situation, so for Wysocki to get in an argument about it shows me that Wysocki had then and has now utter contempt for the rules being applied to him.

The thing is what set me off was your original statement that he has "No character, NONE!

What I actually said was that Wysocki has no integrity and no honor. And I stand by that.

Right now, Ricky looks bad because he's had at least one opportunity to recognize an infraction on himself that he passed on. It only really looks bad in the context that several players have done the opposite. Judging Ricky's character by this is a lot like judging Nate's character based on soft rounds. We all make mistakes.

SD86 is just on a personal crusade to constantly attack Rick, it's obvious he has it out for him and isn't going to quit repeating himself every chance he gets. #disdainandintegrity

Latest posts