• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 PDGA Pro Masters Worlds

Yea, I realize they were already split...:rolleyes:

But isn't that part of why they split them to begin with?

Last edited:
MTL. I am with you, I don't know why anyone would run a pro worlds. Which is why I think that it should be taken over by the PDGA exclusively and rotate between 3 or 4 locations around the US (and go international every 4 or 5 years).

I don't know why anyone would want to run a pro worlds.
It's an enduring mystery. It keeps getting hosted, though. I think the closest call they had was the time they just held it in Port Arthur two years in a row.

No, pro worlds was already split before this future update.

This will increase the amount of bids for am worlds. Am always gets lots of bids because you basically don't have to get any sponsorship and there is profit to be made.

However am worlds current model required loooooooots of courses. Not only that, quality courses and appropriate courses. You will have 70 year ams. You can have them on a 10,000 foot course and you can't have MA1 on a 4,000 foot course.

So now you are creating way more MA1 opportunities because you can get away with 4 courses and only 2 of them as medium - higher SSA's.

I think this actually could decrease the MPO/ FPO pro worlds bids because if people want pros but are concerned about money, now they can bid on masters worlds and get pros but not have to worry about raising money as much (as they could roll profit from am into pro payout).

Side note - I don't know why anyone would want to run a pro worlds.
MPO/FPO/MA1/FA1 and possibly MJ1/FJ1 might be the best combo to get those in roughly the same age and skill range together with enough Ams so bidders will be interested.

No, pro worlds was already split before this future update.

This will increase the amount of bids for am worlds. Am always gets lots of bids because you basically don't have to get any sponsorship and there is profit to be made.

However am worlds current model required loooooooots of courses. Not only that, quality courses and appropriate courses. You will have 70 year ams. You can have them on a 10,000 foot course and you can't have MA1 on a 4,000 foot course.

So now you are creating way more MA1 opportunities because you can get away with 4 courses and only 2 of them as medium - higher SSA's.

I think this actually could decrease the MPO/ FPO pro worlds bids because if people want pros but are concerned about money, now they can bid on masters worlds and get pros but not have to worry about raising money as much (as they could roll profit from am into pro payout).

Side note - I don't know why anyone would want to run a pro worlds.

I don't think it will have any impact on who bids for MPO/FPO worlds because the two have two different sets of course/staffing criteria. Open Worlds needs only two courses but they have to be of high caliber, whereas a Masters Worlds will require at least three, possibly more depending on intended capacity. I don't expect there will be a ton of overlap between the two in terms of potential hosts.

Open Worlds, if the track record so far is any indication, is going to end up rotating amongst venues that already host NT/DGPT level events. They have the courses and they have shown the capacity to fundraise on a level commensurate with the World Championship. If you're putting on events of that caliber already, you have the infrastructure to run a Worlds in lieu of your big event once every 5-10 years.

MPO/FPO/MA1/FA1 and possibly MJ1/FJ1 might be the best combo to get those in roughly the same age and skill range together with enough Ams so bidders will be interested.

I like this idea, but don't think the logistics is all there. It does limit the potential locations that could host a Pro Worlds then. Unless you cap the MA1 fields. There are currently 288 MA1 & 47 FA1 players registered into 5 pools. That would require at least another 3 courses in the city? Now you limit Worlds to locations that have at least 4 to 5 courses. I think that could be a problem.

I do like the thought that a city only needs 2 champion caliber courses for Pro Worlds. Am Worlds this year has like 9 or 10 courses.

Open Worlds, if the track record so far is any indication, is going to end up rotating amongst venues that already host NT/DGPT level events. They have the courses and they have shown the capacity to fundraise on a level commensurate with the World Championship. If you're putting on events of that caliber already, you have the infrastructure to run a Worlds in lieu of your big event once every 5-10 years.

The Open pro worlds model is set up simply to allow anyone to host.

For example, I could have no disc golf courses but a golf course and 250k to add and could run a pro worlds.

This model is much more attractive to cities than the larger quantity and quality course model pro worlds once had. Because you don't need disc golf courses in town to host.

You forgot one division -

FP60 Also crowned a FIRST TIME CHAMPION - Laurie Cloyes Chupa who has been playing professionally since 1989.

Oops, my bad. I was rushing & made a few errors/omissions. Glad you & ToddL highlighted your down-to-the-wire battle. There were just so many great story lines going on. For me it was so very much more exciting than a MPO/FPO showdown.

Why is there a possum crawling on JohnE's face? :rolleyes::eek:

I would think it's obvious. Possums are great for controlling the tick population. It's tick season in the northeast (getting to be where it's always tick season up here). JohnE's dealt with Lyme disease before and surely doesn't want another bout, hence he carries his tick-eating machine on his face.

I would think it's obvious. Possums are great for controlling the tick population. It's tick season in the northeast (getting to be where it's always tick season up here). JohnE's dealt with Lyme disease before and surely doesn't want another bout, hence he carries his tick-eating machine on his face.

You make a good point, I was thinking it was for snacking in case he got hungry on the course.

There's always Permethrin for ticks, but I suppose if you don't believe in chemicals this is a sound alternative.

It's an enduring mystery. It keeps getting hosted, though. I think the closest call they had was the time they just held it in Port Arthur two years in a row.

You can include the second time @ Lemon Lake with Brian C as TD.

Rochester was asked to host in 1999 with promises of help from the PDGA when Brian Hoeniger lived just across the border.