• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

Is DD/trilogy going for a way different marketing/sponsorship approach? Without Ricky they will be lucky to have anyone on lead card video coverage. The only big name rumored to them is jones.

straight up

even prodigy has better odds

Is DD/trilogy going for a way different marketing/sponsorship approach? Without Ricky they will be lucky to have anyone on lead card video coverage. The only big name rumored to them is jones.

I thought the rumors around Jones was Innova and Discraft, I don't recall a DD rumor.

Is this just a difference in strategy? DD/Westside/Lat believing their marketing/social media presence can move more plastic than putting money behind a bunch of non top 10 pros?

Seems like between the 3 companies there's always a new mold or a mold available in a new plastic, which plays perfect into the mindset of your average 900 rated am on the constant hunt for the laser straight 450 foot golf line disc that can also handle the n00b forehand flex shot.

I think building up the online presence is the name of the game. And a pretty good one when most media is filtered through it.
Medium or smaller market teams can't buy the biggest free agents, only the deepest pockets can afford them for longer contracts. Get them while they're upcoming/affordable and hope for great years. Help them but also they help build brand awareness. Then the Yankees/Giants can buy them.

- Continue buying up the youtubers or social media presence and make them shills.
- Sign tons of street team across the US, have them promote at your local C/B tier. They're thankful for the free discs, let them push the products online. Hell they'll even buy more of your products.
- Sponsor the internets cheaper favorite players. Have them promote on their own media, followers = sales.
- Sign some cheaper upcomers (idk if cheaper) and hope for some big tourney wins. Everyone likes the nice new guy or some underdog story.
- Sign the top women, they're cheaper than the top males (again idk) but still get tons of coverage that's notably increased over recent years.
- Sponsor podcasts or better yet just run some.
- Try to sponsor lots of CCDG/Jomez videos next year. Run commercials and the discs sell themselves.

Boosh disc golfs media outlet flooded with DD. Sales will be made without a top 10. 15?

Is this just a difference in strategy? DD/Westside/Lat believing their marketing/social media presence can move more plastic than putting money behind a bunch of non top 10 pros?

Seems like between the 3 companies there's always a new mold or a mold available in a new plastic, which plays perfect into the mindset of your average 900 rated am on the constant hunt for the laser straight 450 foot golf line disc that can also handle the n00b forehand flex shot.

This ^

They built their following based on their social media presence alone. I'm convinced most people who work or are sponsored by DD have minimum expectation for social media interaction per day (maybe per month) - posts, youtube videos etc. They have built a team of "nice" personality players who make the occasional lead card, but really have a following from their social media or tournament antics.

As stated above - they also mastered the art of disc/product releases and you get a flood of information posted for each release. It still baffles me how many of their fans will pay above stock price because one of their pro's are selling it - not to mention their auction page for "hard to finds" from the factory. Whatever works I guess?

straight up

even prodigy has better odds

Seems like Trilogy is really better at using social media marketing than player winning while using the product. Of course, some of it goes hand in hand. But I am not sure they will see as big a drop in the molds Ricky was known for as Innova might for things like the Nova or Mako3. At least I think the Harp, Enforcer, and Felon will still sell close to where they were before. Funny, since none of those were his true signature discs.

The real question is, where is Cool Daddy Slick Breeze going? Obviously I don't think he is going anywhere, but he may sell more discs than just about anyone in disc golf other than McBeth, Wysocki, and Sexton. I could be wrong, but it seems Trilogy began to take off when he took over the social media at DD.

I think social media marketing is one of the most effective but equally most difficult ways to sell product. And for companies the size of disc golf manufactures, social media is the way to go because it reaches their niche audience. I am not saying anything at all profound here. Imagine how a brand like Legacy would do if they had marketing like Cool Daddy does.

Last edited:
This ^

They built their following based on their social media presence alone. I'm convinced most people who work or are sponsored by DD have minimum expectation for social media interaction per day (maybe per month) - posts, youtube videos etc. They have built a team of "nice" personality players who make the occasional lead card, but really have a following from their social media or tournament antics.

As stated above - they also mastered the art of disc/product releases and you get a flood of information posted for each release. It still baffles me how many of their fans will pay above stock price because one of their pro's are selling it - not to mention their auction page for "hard to finds" from the factory. Whatever works I guess?

If that's going to be there strategy going forward they are missing a key piece, having someone constantly doing commentary on vids. That may evolve into aj, but even so it's hard to work in promoting trilogy discs if none of the team are on the videos.

Social Media marketing is essential for growth. Even a semi-corny dude with a lisp is better than nothing. . .respect to CDSB, of course, just sayin

The real question is, where is Cool Daddy Slick Breeze going? Obviously I don't think he is going anywhere, but he may sell more discs than just about anyone in disc golf other than McBeth, Wysocki, and Sexton. I could be wrong, but it seems Trilogy began to take off when he took over the social media at DD.

I think social media marketing is one of the most effective but equally most difficult ways to sell product. And for companies the size of disc golf manufactures, social media is the way to go because it reaches their niche audience. I am not saying anything at all profound here. Imagine how a brand like Legacy would do if they had marketing like Cool Daddy does.

If that's going to be there strategy going forward they are missing a key piece, having someone constantly doing commentary on vids. That may evolve into aj, but even so it's hard to work in promoting trilogy discs if none of the team are on the videos.

I think they may want to shuffle Robert McCall into that role. He has done a few tournaments and I have enjoyed his commentary. Also, Paige Pierce does her fair share of commentary. I have heard Zoe and AJ do some commentary as well. To say they are missing a key piece is not quite accurate.

I think they may want to shuffle Robert McCall into that role. He has done a few tournaments and I have enjoyed his commentary. Also, Paige Pierce does her fair share of commentary. I have heard Zoe and AJ do some commentary as well. To say they are missing a key piece is not quite accurate.

If they don't get people on lead card then Robert or AJ can't really mention trilogy discs as a natural part of the commentary.

I don't know if Nate and Jeremy really don't know what the trilogy guys are throwing or someone is telling them not to talk about it.

Last edited:
Social Media marketing is essential for growth. Even a semi-corny dude with a lisp is better than nothing. . .respect to CDSB, of course, just sayin

Yeah, he is not great on the mic, but it is more his approach and the way he has brought in others to make up for what he lacks. He seems to be a great manager of ideas and resources. This to me is more valuable than doing great video commentary.

If they don't get people on lead card then Robert or AJ can't really mention trilogy discs as a natural part of the commentary.

I understand that, but they have people on lead cards all the time. Melton and Pierce are on lead cards quite often. Feldberg was on a few, JohnE, Reid Frescura, AJ, and Oakley were all featured this year more than once on Jomez. Paige B, Zoe, and Peter mcBride have lead card presence as well. Proctor, Tattar, and Coda Hatfield are all under the trilogy umbrella and are on lead cards occasionally. I think there will be plenty of opportunities for people to talk about their discs on coverage.

I do agree though, losing Ricky will be a big blow. Lets see if their social media presence can make up for it.

Yeah, he is not great on the mic, but it is more his approach and the way he has brought in others to make up for what he lacks. He seems to be a great manager of ideas and resources. This to me is more valuable than doing great video commentary.

For sure, never been a fan of him in front of the mic, but he seems handy with a camera and that's always a plus. Not sure he's the "mastermind" behind the social media marketing blitz DD is known for, I'm guessing the head cheese has a lot to do with that. Robert McCall would be a great choice for the "voice of DD".

I don't know if Nate and Jeremy really don't know what the trilogy guys are throwing or someone is telling them not to talk about it.

Jerm will at times mention what others are throwing. Usally this is followed by the cold silence if Nate.

I am betting they are told not to comment on others discs.

Also why I had rather watch CCDG than Jomez.

Nate has great comments on the course, but no color on the players.

Last edited:
Jerm will at times mention what others are throwing. Usally this is followed by the cold silence if Nate.

It blows my mind that the disc companies don't (either themselves or make the players do it) provide a list of all the discs in a sponsored player's bag to the video makers. "Hey I see player x is going to be on the featured card, here is an updated list of what they are throwing with colors." Helps everyone.

If they are told not to comment, why would Jerm be commenting? I've heard Nate mention what others are throwing, but not nearly as often as Jerm, and I just chalk it up to Jerm has more knowledge of other discs since he's been sponsored by several companies and has traveled with people from other companies.

I actually felt like I've heard more about specific discs than I ever have. If you go back to something like 2017 Memorial with SexyBeast on the mic, it was "here's something overstable" "he's throwing an understable driver". Fast forward to Paul at Ledgestone this year and he was calling out Matt Dollar's MVP discs (when he knew what they were).