• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] 2020 Dynamic Discs Business Strategy

I play a mixed bag....my 'turn off' for Dynamic Discs was when I lost my Witness. Loved that disc. I'm primarily a RHFH player - the Witness was perfect for me in the 168 weight. Then a bad throw and some wind pushed it into the lake - never to be found. I went to buy another one....Out Of Production. Found out DD cancelled it because it didn't sell well and there was another disc similar to the Witness (Lat64 Diamond). Okay, I understand the "didn't sell well", but a comparable disc? Nope. Diamond is a <160 g weight disc. They do make a 170 g, but it is almost impossible to find. And the Diamond isn't flat topped - the Witness was. I ended up with an Innova Sidewinder and am loving that disc. Lost my first one, but didn't have any problem getting another.

Get rid of my favorite disc? I'll go elsewhere then.

I play a mixed bag....my 'turn off' for Dynamic Discs was when I lost my Witness. Loved that disc. I'm primarily a RHFH player - the Witness was perfect for me in the 168 weight. Then a bad throw and some wind pushed it into the lake - never to be found. I went to buy another one....Out Of Production. Found out DD cancelled it because it didn't sell well and there was another disc similar to the Witness (Lat64 Diamond). Okay, I understand the "didn't sell well", but a comparable disc? Nope. Diamond is a <160 g weight disc. They do make a 170 g, but it is almost impossible to find. And the Diamond isn't flat topped - the Witness was. I ended up with an Innova Sidewinder and am loving that disc. Lost my first one, but didn't have any problem getting another.

Get rid of my favorite disc? I'll go elsewhere then.

This is why I stick to long established classic molds. They're never going OOP as long as the game exists. Plus between them all they cover every shot needed. Anything else is for fun/variety and/or aesthetics IMO. Though I could understand about hand feel preferences.

Is no one going to comment on how Dynamic Discs may have dodged a bullet financially this year given the state of things. After all, if relatively little is happening professionally, it is nice to have less financial professional obligations.

Already why I would never buy a DD disc. I was already this way, so this is nothing new to me, but others are seeing things my way now.

My ethics may be different than others, but I am hard core about them.

Wait, because of the names? Seriously? How is the word, ethics, involved in this?

Is no one going to comment on how Dynamic Discs may have dodged a bullet financially this year given the state of things. After all, if relatively little is happening professionally, it is nice to have less financial professional obligations.

Not to mention a huge influx of their target market, new players

I like Trilogy, bag a lot of Latitude and Westside, okay with Dynamic just never clicked with any of their molds much. That being said, Danny Lindahl's voice grates on my nerves like a dentist's drill.

I like Trilogy, bag a lot of Latitude and Westside, okay with Dynamic just never clicked with any of their molds much. That being said, Danny Lindahl's voice grates on my nerves like a dentist's drill.

I can't look at him with that moustache.

This is why I stick to long established classic molds. They're never going OOP as long as the game exists. Plus between them all they cover every shot needed. Anything else is for fun/variety and/or aesthetics IMO. Though I could understand about hand feel preferences.

I thought I was with a few Molds and turns out I was wrong with XL From Discraft in premium plastics that help the mold fly less like a Stalker, my current mold. The Shark 3, I thought for sure being it is a Shark mold barely modified to just be flat top, that the Champion Shark 3 was not going anywhere when I either loose or replace my Champion Shark 3 the mold will be replaced with the Lion in Champion, assuming that mold is still made. The Shark 3 is like a more OS Buzz but not so OS it is more then a Wasp the way the Buzz OS mold is.

I thought I was with a few Molds and turns out I was wrong with XL From Discraft in premium plastics that help the mold fly less like a Stalker, my current mold. The Shark 3, I thought for sure being it is a Shark mold barely modified to just be flat top, that the Champion Shark 3 was not going anywhere when I either loose or replace my Champion Shark 3 the mold will be replaced with the Lion in Champion, assuming that mold is still made. The Shark 3 is like a more OS Buzz but not so OS it is more then a Wasp the way the Buzz OS mold is.

Yeah, you never know for sure and sometimes the companies can surprise you. I don't think anyone was expecting MVP to OOP all of their midranges. And I was looking at the current Prodigy lineup the other day and was surprised that they have missing numbers. Apparently there's no X1 anymore? You would think they'd keep it just to have the rest of the names make sense. I think there's probably only an average of 3-4 absolutely untouchable molds per company (more at Innova and Discraft just do to size).

Yeah, you never know for sure and sometimes the companies can surprise you. I don't think anyone was expecting MVP to OOP all of their midranges. And I was looking at the current Prodigy lineup the other day and was surprised that they have missing numbers. Apparently there's no X1 anymore? You would think they'd keep it just to have the rest of the names make sense. I think there's probably only an average of 3-4 absolutely untouchable molds per company (more at Innova and Discraft just do to size).

Yeah I never thought that Discraft Would get rid of its only Fairway truly OS disc well in the plastic that made the disc a true OS midrange, The XL in Z. That was a head scratcher as the disc was selling fairly well, maybe not among Disc Golf am players who switched from Dynamic Disc to Discraft ONLY due to Sponsored players leaving the Dynamic Disc/Latitude 64 lineup. But the longtime people that use Discraft discs liked the XL, even if they were not using the mold they probably had at least tested the mold.

If MVP got rid of all its midrange disc, did the Company eventually make new molds? Did Axiom still have its midrange molds? I only say this as a good number of players that use the MVP/Axiom lineup only use those brands as those are the only company with that style of over-mold.

Yeah I never thought that Discraft Would get rid of its only Fairway truly OS disc well in the plastic that made the disc a true OS midrange, The XL in Z. That was a head scratcher as the disc was selling fairly well, maybe not among Disc Golf am players who switched from Dynamic Disc to Discraft ONLY due to Sponsored players leaving the Dynamic Disc/Latitude 64 lineup. But the longtime people that use Discraft discs liked the XL, even if they were not using the mold they probably had at least tested the mold.

If MVP got rid of all its midrange disc, did the Company eventually make new molds? Did Axiom still have its midrange molds? I only say this as a good number of players that use the MVP/Axiom lineup only use those brands as those are the only company with that style of over-mold.

Yeah the loss of the XL definitely is a bit of a headscratcher. And from what I remember MVP basically didn't like their mids and were going to replace them with new better molds. But from what I can tell they have not really done so yet. I think there's one current MVP mid and one current Axiom mid. There are enough of OOP ones in stock at various places that it's not a huge problem yet, but if you love overmolds you are going to be hurting for mids if they don't fill out the lineup soon.

Yeah the loss of the XL definitely is a bit of a headscratcher. And from what I remember MVP basically didn't like their mids and were going to replace them with new better molds. But from what I can tell they have not really done so yet. I think there's one current MVP mid and one current Axiom mid. There are enough of OOP ones in stock at various places that it's not a huge problem yet, but if you love overmolds you are going to be hurting for mids if they don't fill out the lineup soon.

Yes if you love that style of overmold, Innova has 2 well soon to have 2 midrange overmolds in a different own style, one with flight like a Lion I forget name of disc., other is the neutral Atlas. Latitude 64 and Dynamic Disc had to stop making that style of overmold immediately due to a lawsuit with MVP/Axiom so The discs like Gobi and something else from Dynamic Disc in midrange are not able to be produced still. What I would like to see if the new midrange molds never get produced, is a move to making the old molds again due to Pro Sponsored MVP/Axiom players threatening to leave if specific molds they love for midrange are not made again. I bet most if not all the Pro players sponsored by MVP/Axiom do not use much for midrange discs anyhow. Both the Company's have a Putter that is almost midrange in distance and a few midrange like fairway discs from both or ether MVP/Axiom.

Wait, because of the names? Seriously? How is the word, ethics, involved in this?

It's fetishizing the criminal justice system in a way that a lot of people may not support.

Some may not feel this way, but using "felon" as a cool marketing term is kinda weird when you think about it. Especially if you were to think about it as someone who thinks there may be over-incarceration.

It's fetishizing the criminal justice system in a way that a lot of people may not support.

Some may not feel this way, but using "felon" as a cool marketing term is kinda weird when you think about it. Especially if you were to think about it as someone who thinks there may be over-incarceration.

Fetishizing? Uhm, no. Maybe some other word, but not that one.

Nothing weird at all about felon. I don't even see how you could manufacture weirdness from it. What does over incarceration have to do with en English word? Damn there's some gymnastics going on in some of y'all's heads.

I think the word you are looking for is - glamorized

It will be in my pleading, your Honor if I did a felony, it's because of Dynamic Discs. :D

Last edited:

While I mostly think this is a mountain out of a molehill take I will say we found it amusing/awkward beating through the bushes at league this week calling out to one another, "What kind of disc was it?" "A black felon."

I'd say someone who sees it that way is reading too much into their naming strategy. I can see where some would be turned off by it, put my gut tells me it's had negligible impact on sales.

That said, I have nothing tangible to support my gut.

I hope they mold Suspects, Convicts, Felons... in a wide variety of colors ... including white.

Last edited: