• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$30 AGame backpack bag at Academy Possible Magellan replacement?

I totally get it. I'm a smallbusiness owner myself.

My point was, for someone who doesn't play every day or cares what the bag looks like (all the sexy upper park/Dynamic patterns, etc) I can't justify spending 5-6x the price on a bag.

Just ordered one. I'll have a video review up whenever it gets here. If there's anything specific you'll want me to cover let me know.

Any progress on the video review? Does the bag fall over a lot? Also, is the front pocket with the mesh on each side 3 individual pockets or one big pocket and if so how many putters fit in it? Thanks.

I love my AGame. I bought myself a Flak4 for Christmas and now I am never going to use it. The AGame is sooooo much better, and a fraction of the price! I really like how light it is and it fits a ton of discs. I will probably end up buying a few backups I like it so much.

Rating: A+

Happens. No worries. Just sucks that with a structure mod that costs you $5 to do at home, an Innova logo, and plaid vomit colors, Innova took a $30 bag and charges $80! What the deuce?! You can do so much better in that price point.

There is one major difference between Academy's Magellan and Innova's HeroPack. Academy only sells directly to consumers. Innova is selling them at wholesale prices to retailers. Given the improvements over the Magellan and the wholesale component, the $90 msrp for the HeroPack is clearly addressing a need because I sold a lot of them last season. Also, Innova already made some improvements to the initial HeroPack design.

Prodigy's BP-3 blows me away. For them to distribute a disc golf backpack with a $30 retail price point is impressive.

There are a lot more lower priced backpacks than there used to be. It was a big deal when Fossa came out with the Tana at $100. Now we have the HeroPack, Commander (DD), Sniper (DD) and BP-3 between $30 and $125. Just a few years ago, the cheapest backpack we had in stock was DD's Ranger at $175.

There is one major difference between Academy's Magellan and Innova's HeroPack. Academy only sells directly to consumers. Innova is selling them at wholesale prices to retailers. Given the improvements over the Magellan and the wholesale component, the $90 msrp for the HeroPack is clearly addressing a need because I sold a lot of them last season. Also, Innova already made some improvements to the initial HeroPack design.

Prodigy's BP-3 blows me away. For them to distribute a disc golf backpack with a $30 retail price point is impressive.

There are a lot more lower priced backpacks than there used to be. It was a big deal when Fossa came out with the Tana at $100. Now we have the HeroPack, Commander (DD), Sniper (DD) and BP-3 between $30 and $125. Just a few years ago, the cheapest backpack we had in stock was DD's Ranger at $175.

One correction...Innova's HeroPack has a $80 MSRP...not $90.

Also, Innova just released the Super HeroPack with an MSRP of $110. It look another really solid/less expensive backpack option.

I'm looking around for pics of the fabric choices in the new Super Heropack.

The old Hero were some of the most terrible color choices around.
Not speaking as a woman, but as a player, all of those colors were awful.

I'm looking around for pics of the fabric choices in the new Super Heropack.

The old Hero were some of the most terrible color choices around.
Not speaking as a woman, but as a player, all of those colors were awful.

I'm not sure online where photos are available. We received a dealer email today. Four choices for the HeroPack and four different choices for the Super HeroPack.

I mean so what? Academy got them wholesaled to them for significantly less than $30. And so could you if you did Academy volume. Not sure what value your statement has.

I guarantee you that if you stocked Magellans at $35 and HeroPacks at $80 you would have sold ten to one Magellans. Saying they address a need is not accurate, they have brand presence and distribution, nothing more.

As far as Tana's, BP-3, Rangers, and Snipers are concerned, this AGame blows them all out of the water.

I mean so what? Academy got them wholesaled to them for significantly less than $30. And so could you if you did Academy volume. Not sure what value your statement has.

I guarantee you that if you stocked Magellans at $35 and HeroPacks at $80 you would have sold ten to one Magellans. Saying they address a need is not accurate, they have brand presence and distribution, nothing more.

As far as Tana's, BP-3, Rangers, and Snipers are concerned, this AGame blows them all out of the water.

You don't understand how a supply chain works. Academy got them directly for a manufacturer, not a distributor. There's a big difference. Maybe you live somewhere with Academy. They aren't around here. Do they even sell them at their brick and mortars? People like to get their hands on bags before buying them.

You're right...I would sell more Magellans at $35 than HeroPacks at $80...but Academy doesn't distribute them so what's your point?

It's accurate from my perspective as someone who has been working in disc golf retail for almost nine years, but what do I know.

You don't understand how a supply chain works. Academy got them directly for a manufacturer, not a distributor. There's a big difference. Maybe you live somewhere with Academy. They aren't around here. Do they even sell them at their brick and mortars? People like to get their hands on bags before buying them.

You're right...I would sell more Magellans at $35 than HeroPacks at $80...but Academy doesn't distribute them so what's your point?

It's accurate from my perspective as someone who has been working in disc golf retail for almost nine years, but what do I know.

Innova is a manufacturer... I think I understand supply chain very well, and sorry your credentials as a disc golf retailer kind of hurts your credibility on the subject to be frank.

Innova is a manufacturer... I think I understand supply chain very well, and sorry your credentials as a disc golf retailer kind of hurts your credibility on the subject to be frank.

Innova makes their own discs...not their own bags or baskets. Try again.

You're so right...being in the business of disc golf retail really hurts my credibility on the subject. It's only my livelihood.

Innova makes their own discs...not their own bags or baskets. Try again.

:wall:

Please spell this out to me like I am an idiot. How exactly do the comparative business structures of Innova and Academy somehow justify marketing the same bag $35 at some and $80 at some other retailers?

:wall:

Please spell this out to me like I am an idiot. How exactly do the comparative business structures of Innova and Academy somehow justify marketing the same bag $35 at some and $80 at some other retailers?

I've been trying...trust me.

What should Innova do then? Sell the bags directly to consumers alienating their dealers...nope. The bag presumably cost a little more than the Magellan because while similar, it is better. Innova then has to mark it up and sell it dealers who also have to mark it up and sell it to consumers. Academy and Innova do not have "comparative business structures." Academy is a retail chain that has a bunch of in-house products. Why? Great margins typically. No middle man. Innova is a disc golf brand. They manufacture and distribute products to other retailers. Again, what should Innova do?