• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30' basket to tree guideline (A tier vs..) guideline

There are no stories or memories made in a 30' flat empty circle

True story!

Buyer beware: The State of California has determined that standardizing the sport is a known cause of boring.

Thank you for citing that rule. In the case where a disc goes in the water, you know exactly where it is, but just can't get to it or even see it, is the disc considered lost or OB? This happens very often on that hole where the deep creek is 5 feet behind the basket? It can be the difference between a circle 3 and a 5.

Lost in the context of the rules is defined as a disc that can't be located, not one that is irretrievable. If the disc is seen going into an OB area such as a body of water, it's considered OB even it can't be seen or retrieved. Says so right in the rules (804.04 C).

Already happened more than once and it was made a rule option partly as a result. Barry Schultz (spectating not playing at the time) knocked down a player's throw at the Memorial several years back to keep it from going in the water. I don't think he was penalized but thrower did get the OB penalty. Spotters at various times have saved throws at the last minute from the water. The Rules Committee decided to allow other people to save your disc if you asked them. Then, you had to play it as if it was lost and re-throw with a penalty (804.03G).

I was "that guy" at 1992 Worlds(River Bends in Utica, Michigan)........... Kevin Rounds tee shot was rolling @ high speed toward a OB creek that was eating discs. I was standing at the waters edge(2ft drop to the water) and caught the disc midair as it launched off the edge. His bitch was that the disc COULD'VE landed in the muddy(nearly vertical) bank and not gone in. I said that I had caught his disc in midair as it was crossing the OB line. His vantage point from 300' away was very poor and I was standing basically on the OB line. He was adamant that I had touched his disc while it was in play.
He played it out and brought it to the TD afterwards and the TD called it spotter interference and he was not penalized a stroke.

Fast forward to 2007 and I'd just moved to NY. Showed up at Joralemon and I join some locals on the course. One guy asks me where I'm from and what's my home course. I say im from Michigan and played River Bends. He asks me if I played 92 Worlds and I say no but I was a spotter. He proceeds to re-tell the above story(without knowing I'm "that guy") and he gets about halfway thru it and I stop him and say "let me finish this story for you". They all look at me like im nuts but I finish the story to the letter and jaws drop like "how did you know this?" ............... I was THAT spotter ! :doh:

We've been good friends ever since.