• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30 second clock

What do you think about the 30 second clock?

• Just Right

Votes: 95 72.0%
  • Too Long

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Too Short

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
Now that I look at it I kinda agree with JC. Maximum of 30 seconds. If at 20 seconds in the kids run in the middle of the fairway or a park walker shows up right in the area you're about to throw to, then I give you that you shouldn't throw right then. But when those two distractions are gone, you now have 10 more seconds until your maximum of 30. I think if they had meant an "uninterrupted" 30-second window then the word "maximum" wouldn't be neccessary.

You get 30 seconds after those 3 criteria are met. Not 30 seconds of those criteria being met.

Personally, I like the sound of 2 minutes. I know, a lot of people are going to think that's a ridiculous amount of time, but for the amount of variables that can significantly affect a shot, I think it's reasonable. I also know that most people will still throw within 30 seconds 95% of the time.

We're talking about telling a story, not throwing. So ... you should argue your point better. We were talking about a non-throwing delay, I brought up another one. Now you've brought up a throwing delay, which is not part of the discussion we were having.

My point is just fine and spot on, maybe you should remember what your point is, Quote #1 is from page 1 while your story telling is from page 10. Good try though Danny, when your argument fails and you look stupid go for the distraction and blame somebody else.

.....and the people who must finish telling their 3-minute amusing anecdote before teeing off.

If anyone is on my card, feel free to finish the story. I'm playing golf, not running track; I can afford 3 minutes.

And this, also. Since that is the conversation you're talking about. I said "feel free to finish the story" not "feel free to take 3 minutes to set up before throwing"

And this, also. Since that is the conversation you're talking about. I said "feel free to finish the story" not "feel free to take 3 minutes to set up before throwing"

That's still three minutes that you're holding up the group behind you.

you should argue your point better.

You should heed your own advice.

I still haven't seen a valid reason for extending the clock...............

You should have kept reading.

:doh:

.....and the people who must finish telling their 3-minute amusing anecdote before teeing off.

Timing is everything in comedy. It's probably not as funny when you have to pause the story to tee off...

If anyone is on my card, feel free to finish the story. I'm playing golf, not running track; I can afford 3 minutes.

Keep on moonwalking it back Danny, can't wait to see what new anecdote you concoct for the next page. :D

If a distraction comes along inside that 30 seconds, then the playing area is not clear.
The rule doesn't say anything about the playing area remaining clear for 30 seconds. It simply says that the 30 second begins when the playing area is free and clear of distraction.

Again, I ask someone, anyone, to point out where in the rule it allows for a resetting or even a pausing of the 30-second clock.

So if a group of kids runs into the fairway, it's just bad luck for the player?

Kinda depends on when they do so, but in some cases, yeah, bad luck.

I'm not necessarily advocating for strict adherence to 30 seconds no matter what happens. I think in circumstances where safety becomes a sudden issue, like kids running into the fairway, leniency is absolutely allowable. After all, the courtesy rule dictates that a player should not throw if they could potentially injure someone. I think that would override the excessive time rule in most cases.

I just don't buy into the idea that if a player is set to throw and a car or motorcycle happens to drive by and the engine noise is a distraction, that the player then gets a full 30 seconds to reset and throw his shot. If they want to step back and regroup because they had to pause their little routine, fine...so long as they're not exceeding their original 30 seconds.

To allow each player to throw the best shot they're capable of.

I'd do best if I'm throwing each shot with a fresh arm. So lets allow 1 hour for each tee shot. That should give me plenty of time to let my arm rest so that I'm fresh and ready to throw the absolute ideal shot on each tee.

It would be terrible if fatigue and conditioning started to be a factor in deciding tournaments...

:wall:

Keep on moonwalking it back Danny, can't wait to see what new anecdote you concoct for the next page. :D

I still don't see how telling a story is related to setting up for a shot, but ok. I don't know one bit what you're talking about anymore. Did you have a point?

I'd do best if I'm throwing each shot with a fresh arm. So lets allow 1 hour for each tee shot. That should give me plenty of time to let my arm rest so that I'm fresh and ready to throw the absolute ideal shot on each tee.

It would be terrible if fatigue and conditioning started to be a factor in deciding tournaments...

:wall:

So we won't extend it to an hour then. Ok. Now you're being ridiculous. Which is fine, I just wanted to point that out.

I still don't see how telling a story is related to setting up for a shot, but ok. I don't know one bit what you're talking about anymore. Did you have a point?

The point is, if you are up, shut up with your story and throw. Stop worrying about wind and distractions. Just focus and throw. Tell your stories when walking to a shot, not when its your turn to throw.

I still think this whole thread has been an elaborate troll as no one could actually believe the BS you are spouting.

I never said I thought it was legal, or should be legal, to tell a story while it's your throw. Just that it wouldn't bother me or the people I generally play with. It would annoy me if someone told someone to shut up and throw because they were finishing a story.

Let's do it! 9 hr rounds! Everyone shoots -18.

Think of the epic playoff battles.

I never said I thought it was legal, or should be legal, to tell a story while it's your throw. Just that it wouldn't bother me or the people I generally play with. It would annoy me if someone told someone to shut up and throw because they were finishing a story.

It sounds like you're talking about casual rounds. Take all the time you want casually.

Tournament play != Casual play

Latest posts