• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

When you're comfortable shifting like this and on a non-flat swing plane, you can start adjusting the timing so that your move to the plant leg (forward swing) happens just before you reach the top of the backswing. I was very confused on this for a long time. I would let the weight go all the way up to the top and then when I made the move onto the plant leg I was too late. That's what Shawn clement means by the move happens IN the backswing. And it's also what SW and all the good folks here mean when they say keep the arm taut like a ball on string.

Hope that's clear enough and I'm saying the right things!

I think I've been doing this. Something for me to focus on tomorrow after the rain stops.

When I get it right it's like I feel connection through my arm/body to the disc throughout both the backswing and forward swing.

I was missing the leverage feeling and this was it. I had some slack in my string. I really noticed the difference with my forehand and not being able to get the ball on a string feeling until I shifted first. I know SW has covered it a million times but it was going over my head until you phrased it the way you did. Thanks Parbequeue.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fog Horn Leg Horn.JPG
    Fog Horn Leg Horn.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 197
I was missing the leverage feeling and this was it. I had some slack in my string. I really noticed the difference with my forehand and not being able to get the ball on a string feeling until I shifted first. I know SW has covered it a million times but it was going over my head until you phrased it the way you did

Really happy to hear that! Merry Christmas everyone!

Bro...think I'm getting closer. Take a quick look at the side by side, along with the video and tell me if I am on the right track.

Bottom pick is how I have been making my backswing since...well since I started a backswing. Basically trying to keep my arm/disc on a hyzer plane, but I think how I was turning my disc/wrist/arm was doing something funky with my spine.

On New Year's Eve, I started to backswing like the top pick and I was shocked how different it felt. Looking back at my previous backswing, and going through the motions in my office...it looks and feels...kinda kinked? I've always looked twisted compared to SW, who looks much more anchored, but I could never figure out why.

Lots of work to be done, but hoping this change is (A) correct (B) makes other aspects I'm working on easier.

Attachments

• side by side.jpg
    side by side.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 25
Looks like you are finally moving your arm with your body and not the other way around. Sequencing looks better.

Yeah, swing getting better. Still tipping your upper body over your hips from top of the backswing. I would pull your heels closer together more under hips and flare both toes out some more to unrestrict your hips more and allow your front knee to get in front of your front hip. I don't like to see your pants crease on your front hip, means your hip is collapsing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 4.00.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 4.00.42 PM.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 174
Definitely better man! Like SW said you're shifting too much over on top of your front hip instead of "bracing" against it. When you're comfortable with the feeling of making your backswing with your lower body (like you're starting to do now) you can start the forward swing the same way, and when you make the move to the front leg/hip make sure you're doing it via your instep. By doing this you should feel a sort of resistance/brace as you swing through to the target. I found this really apparent with the hammer.

Hey Jet , Rfrance posted this on my thread and I thought it might help you out. I'm talking in particular how to shift between legs/hips, the little knee flex (with plant leg, starting the weight shift) away from target (I guess towards back left teepad ish) to start the backswing, then the knee flex toward target (with rear leg, towards front left teepad) to start the downswing. When I do it without a disc I feel like I'm sitting up on each hip as flex the knee to change between the two.

When you do this correctly your backswing position looks like " ( " and then the forward swing like " ) "

The / and \ reminded me of this video of Mike Austin coaching Mike Dunaway on this using the hinged door analysis that both SC and SW talk about. It's about 4 minutes. The whole video is great and restates a lot of what is talked about in the Technique and Form Analysis forums.

https://youtu.be/k7FyCquJzII?t=1520

attachment.php

I'm sharing this because it's the easiest way ive Interpreted how to shift between the feet.

He talks about what the knee does at 24:00

Last edited:
Thank you PBQ for this. I've been a bit frustrated lately; I wasn't planning on posting this video as I'm still working at it... but here is where I'm at with my hips right now.

Over the past couple weeks, I just hear SW..."I don't like seeing your pants crease, it means you're collapsing..." The trouble I have been having is A) Not collapsing B) If I manage to not collapse/collapse less, then my upper body is wonky.

So I'm just continuing to work through this. The hip video that SW posted was helpful and enlightening...? I've certainly not been moving my hips in this way. Question...(although after PBQ posted the time stamped Austin video, I think I know the answer...but just in case)

At the 6:48 mark of this video...This is what my hips should be doing in my swing? I believe the answer is yes, but as I mentioned...I've just not been able to get my upperbody to feel right using this move. Among other things...I have had a hard time maintaining that taut feeling. If I do maintain that ball on string/taut feeling, my arm gets pinned to my chest.

In that wide of a stance you need to move your front knee forward ahead of the hip. Your front knee barely moves while your hips move or sway more. Note how much further my front knee moves back and forth in perpetually longer swing drill and turns clockwise back to neutral into the plant after shifting and turning back much further. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m56s

Make your rear knee oscillate (counter clockwise) like Mike Maves shows below, this is the rear knee action in the throw. Make both knees do that circle with your CoG, so pressure moves counter clockwise from rear toes to rear heel to front heel to front toes and back to rear toes and around. Try reversing the circle with both knees, so your pelvis should be doing a hula hoop action in either direction with the circle action of the knees. Now when you actually shift forward to throw the front knee will reverse the circle clockwise so the CoG/pressure goes toe to heel on the front foot(crush the can) and then back around to the toes after the foot pivots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Zrf5GbvdE#t=1m50s

That's looking better IMO! Your hip action is starting to look like It should. Try turning all the way back 180 degrees ontop of the rear hip nice and tall , i found it easier on tippy toes if it helps, then drop down/shift onto your plant leg and swing through. Then you can start to play around with the little knee/foot move move to shift it all back to the front leg in the backswing. I think you're on the right track man!

Last edited:
My right knee seems to be one of my biggest areas of opportunity. It is simply preventing me from even setting up correctly. I'm quite certain it is physically impossible for me to get posted up on my lead/right leg, because the path of my right knee movement (or lack thereof). I jam my hip Every. Single. Time.

I started working on my right knee move/path going back in forth in FH/BH like in SW's swing drills. Although I was focusing strictly on my right knee on the back/forward swing, I could start to feel the tautness everyone talks about, but I didn't have to force it with my arm.

I'm tired of seeing myself raise up as I plant, while you talented people drop into the plant. Tired of seeing me collapse/jam, while yall are turning greasy/smooth on your front leg. Hopefully this is the start of that change.

Your FH body motion is more proper although swinging early with arm. You get the hips forward and torso to lean back going into the FH plant.

When you switch to BH your upper body tips over, so you aren't mirroring your leg action. I don't think it's an issue with your right knee, but how you move off the rear leg or don't shift your lower body off it. You aren't pushing your hips forward, you are pushing/tipping your shoulders over instead. I like your stance for this exercise.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.22.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.22.17 PM.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 120
I'm going to figure out how to setup and swivel properly on my front leg. I know I received some positive feedback with my lefty hockey slapshot ("By far the best"); SW could you elaborate a little further on why it was better?

I'd like to go back and tie this positive hockey feedback to my DG swing critiques. Re-watching the slapshot, it looks like I don't collapse into my front hip. I can see my right knee move, accept my weight and stay inside my posture as my right hip clears back. Looks like I load into my rear hip, but my hips don't turn/swivel much.

Just trying to wrap around my head the parts of my slapshot that I can translate into my swing.

1 big part of why it's easier for me to personally do a hockey shot than a backhand, is that it's like throwing a steep hyzer. It's easier to stay behind your hip on a steep hyzer and as you lessen the angle - it gets more important that your hips are shifting with the right timing and your butt is staying back in the backswing and the downswing.

This was a video I just made to talk about hips for a guy that I'm helping in some private coaching and I think it might help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUtnBMNsnbg

Last edited:
I'm going to figure out how to setup and swivel properly on my front leg. I know I received some positive feedback with my lefty hockey slapshot ("By far the best"); SW could you elaborate a little further on why it was better?

I'd like to go back and tie this positive hockey feedback to my DG swing critiques. Re-watching the slapshot, it looks like I don't collapse into my front hip. I can see my right knee move, accept my weight and stay inside my posture as my right hip clears back. Looks like I load into my rear hip, but my hips don't turn/swivel much.

Just trying to wrap around my head the parts of my slapshot that I can translate into my swing.

That lefty hockey slap shot is how you should be moving/shifting back and forth from a wider stance and a two-handed swing center. Hit the ball like that with only your lead arm or fist like tee ball, don't even need the stick. Your arm is the club/stick with a hinge or hinges. How would you adjust your body/stance/ball position to deliver the blow?

Your legs aren't collapsing, you aggressively go the ground and stick them in the ground like a running back changing direction which winds/loads and unwinds/unloads the hips and torso automatically, instead of really trying to rotate them. You just need to swing your lead shoulder further back for disc golf and the trail shoulder moves out of the way into center to really swing the lead shoulder.

I've been rotating a few drills, so apologies if I seem a bit all over the place.

Couple clips of swing drills, switching between FH/BH. Just trying to mirror my swing, and slowly but surely smooth things out. With my World Champ KC hat on :thmbup: my focus was keeping good posture, and moving off my left side, more similar to how I move off my right side.

5 months ago is the last time I did field work; although I continue to practice/think about this stuff often, I'm sure not being able to see how the disc fly's out of my hand is at least slowing down or limiting my progress a little bit. I bring this up because the feeling/sensations I have now with the swing, it doesn't feel nearly as powerful as my more flawed form.

As always, thank you all for your help

5 months ago is the last time I did field work; although I continue to practice/think about this stuff often, I'm sure not being able to see how the disc fly's out of my hand is at least slowing down or limiting my progress a little bit. I bring this up because the feeling/sensations I have now with the swing, it doesn't feel nearly as powerful as my more flawed form.

Feeling powerful doesn't necessarily = power. Leverage is the key. When you hammer a nail into a wall, do you feel powerful? Or do you feel connected to the weight of the hammer?

As far field work is concerned, I think it's helpful to get feedback from the disc, at least periodically.

Feeling powerful doesn't necessarily = power. Leverage is the key. When you hammer a nail into a wall, do you feel powerful? Or do you feel connected to the weight of the hammer?.

Hit the nail on the head!

...I'll see myself out.

Seriously though, that's a great nugget right there that could help a lot of folks!