• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

Feeling powerful doesn't necessarily = power.

100% agree! Reading back my message, I didn't really finish my entire thought process...

While it certainly does not "feel" as powerful, I know from hearing specifically from SP...that once I start "getting this" it is going to feel less whippy/fast. Hopefully that is the track I'm on.

Speaking of nail on the head; while going FH to BH back and forth, I was curious to see what it would look and feel like going left handed BH/FH. Looked like a times that I was doing a pretty good job of slashing or pounding a nail in. Couple general observations from my moderately trained eye.

I think my lower body looks much better moving into my right side when throwing a lefty FH. Weight seems to transfer better...but why is that? I'm not nearly as tilted as my lefty slapshot. Something about bringing my arm across my body must really throw off my balance...

Those are looking better in general and agree with you are saying. The main thing that sticks out in RHBH and with what you said about bringing the arm across your chest, is you never swing your lower arm/disc inward toward your center. Your elbow is never really forward of your shoulder so you are still kind of hugging yourself and not hugging the disc into center or swinging out from center, the disc is just swinging out around your center.

Try this, hold the disc in a FH grip and turn the disc/arm upside-down and bring your hand into your center chest and fling out from center upside-down, should really feel springy leverage on the disc this way, so the disc really wants to pivot out targetward at the end off the finger/s. It's basically the right pec drill upside-down but with your wrist/disc in the opposite orientation(much stronger/snappier orientation). If you do this with disc vertical at right ear and elbow at shoulder height with lower arm vertical, it should be just like a basketball throw. Start slow doing this with just arm and then add some body motion to it to juice it a little without having to use the arm. You just need to feel the spring action, don't need to move fast or hard.

If you can feel that elbow/wrist spring action like that without and then with the body motion... then keep the disc upside-down and invert your grip on it, so your thumb is above disc and leveraging against the inner rim basically like a fan grip on upside-down disc or a grenade throw. Now the disc will want to spring/pivot targetward off the thumb. Your thumb will be a much stronger position than your fingers even when you put the disc into normal position.

Last edited:
Those are looking better in general and agree with you are saying. The main thing that sticks out in RHBH and with what you said about bringing the arm across your chest, is you never swing your lower arm/disc inward toward your center. Your elbow is never really forward of your shoulder so you are still kind of hugging yourself and not hugging the disc into center or swinging out from center, the disc is just swinging out around your center.

Try this, hold the disc in a FH grip and turn the disc/arm upside-down and bring your hand into your center chest and fling out from center upside-down, should really feel springy leverage on the disc this way, so the disc really wants to pivot out targetward at the end off the finger/s. It's basically the right pec drill upside-down but with your wrist/disc in the opposite orientation(much stronger/snappier orientation). If you do this with disc vertical at right ear and elbow at shoulder height with lower arm vertical, it should be just like a basketball throw. Start slow doing this with just arm and then add some body motion to it to juice it a little without having to use the arm. You just need to feel the spring action, don't need to move fast or hard.

If you can feel that elbow/wrist spring action like that without and then with the body motion... then keep the disc upside-down and invert your grip on it, so your thumb is above disc and leveraging against the inner rim basically like a fan grip on upside-down disc or a grenade throw. Now the disc will want to spring/pivot targetward off the thumb. Your thumb will be a much stronger position than your fingers even when you put the disc into normal position.

Or try the Barry Shultz backswing. Let the disc float away from you in the backswing then in the transition forward see how late you can wait to apply the arm to the shot. Should just be the elbow leading and the lower arm lags back in towards chest effortless/weightless. Then add to the sling super late. Closed shoulder drill can help feel that whip.

Brodie calls it the future of disc golf: :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pE_ANHyWs#t=6m5s

HA! That's so great. I haven't watched this yet, but was planning on it this weekend.

Using your suggestion, it definitely made my thumb feel like it was in a much stronger position to leverage the disc forward. Then I was able to go back and replicate it pretty easily the correct way.

Struggle right now is tipping my upper body over, instead of moving my lower body underneath. In the side by side it is so obvious, but fixing it is so slow. They say hardest part of solving any problem is understanding/acknowledging that you have one. I wish that were the case in this instance.

Understanding something is much easier than doing or fixing.

I would recommend you turn your rear foot slightly further away and widen your stance just a little bit and get into more athletic forward tilt from the hips so your shoulders pendulum and rotate more vertically. Your rear hip is swaying back too far laterally over your rear foot, instead of turning back away and moving targetward before getting to the rear foot.

Get the stick vertical at the top of the backswing so disc and stick are moving forward together in forward swing. Reach up to the sky in the finish. Your swing is very horizontal and release is over to the right instead of up/straight out.

Morning,

Continuing to try and mirror my backhand to my forehand. I don't think I am tipping as much, but still not getting my lower spine all the way to my front leg before the swing. I am letting the disc swing in a bit better, but still needs more hinge.

I don't swing like this during rounds; although I know this type of swing is "more correct"/"getting better" mentally I struggle because it looks and feels like I'm just going to throw the disc on a soft/high hyzer that goes nowhere.

Put some omf into it. Because it looks like you are throwing the disc on a soft/high hyzer that goes nowhere.

Put some omf into it. Because it looks like you are throwing the disc on a soft/high hyzer that goes nowhere.

Fair critique :)

Decided to do a quick SBS of myself from last year. Motivating to see that I am looking smoother/more efficient; this makes sense as to why I am so much more consistent in rounds, but still missing some secret sauce for 400+

I like the motion and finish position there, but your right shoulder is barely swinging back, so your shoulder on FH is stopping short and your BH doesn't really have much backswing. Swing shoulders over both feet.

Felt like a pretty good series of swings. To RC's point however; if I were to gas it, I don't know if I can maintain it right now...

Somewhat better. Looks like your front foot is rolling over to outside edge instead of pressure staying more underneath your foot and inside heel/pivots around heel edge. You spin your heel away from target when you plant. I'd like to see your front heel planting forward from where it ends in your backswing/FH. It doesn't have to plant forward of the toes, it can be moving forward into plant and still be behind the toes. If your heel is moving forward then your weight is moving forward. If your heel spins away your weight is moving away or putting your over top the heel.

Forget about swing plane of the disc. Hold the disc like this and fan/whip the air to the target with the disc. Whoosh! Grip it so you can swing it without fear of it!

Last edited:
Haven't figured it out. Today was my 3rd or 4th time doing this drill. My video is mirrored to match SC. No matter what I do, my tilt won't match His.

Sure looks like SC is more closed, but if I try to match it, I feel a lot of strain in my hip/knee.

Haven't figured it out. Today was my 3rd or 4th time doing this drill. My video is mirrored to match SC. No matter what I do, my tilt won't match His.

Sure looks like SC is more closed, but if I try to match it, I feel a lot of strain in my hip/knee.

Are you trying to mimic what SC is doing or are you trying to swing/slash thru something?

Are you trying to mimic what SC is doing or are you trying to swing/slash thru something?

Yes.

Kidding aside, I would say I started by working by feel, but quickly moved on to comparing my positions to SC. I hear you...

Appreciate it.

Took a break from videos, comparisons and drills. Thought it might help just putting stuff away for a bit. Still throwing on the weekends, but definitely not actively practicing. Shot a terrible putter only round yesterday, kept rolling over my drives...so it is time to get back at it.

Here is a shot from my putter round (rolled it over), and a clip from today just working on stuff.

It's like you are kicking the front leg forward while leaning back and then trying to push your hips forward after, instead of driving the hips forward to swing/kick the front leg forward.

The inside vid you can see how your front foot swings upward before the plant as your body is leaning back instead of moving forward. Do door frame drill with your front heel striding/gliding 1-2" above the ground. Your CoG should have to lower on rear leg to keep heel lower forward and plant front heel.

Go down your stairs and feel how your rear foot will maintain plantar flexion while you bend your rear knee/hip to drop the front foot/CoG. Feel how to control slow down the fall and then accelerate the drop from the rear leg or reverse and raise back up, like squatting on one leg.

If you do this from the last step you can stride/leverage further forward while dropping into plant.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 4.52.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 4.52.38 PM.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 76

Latest posts