• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

5 Future Courses in Colorado Springs, CO

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
The Gazette, Colorado Springs' newspaper, had disc golf on the front page today, March 9th. It has a fairly decent article along with a huge basket photo. It talked about how Cottonwood is over-crowded and HP is basically gone causing a need for more courses. The council approved the addition of 5 courses at a cost of $60,000. They now have to determine funding and use of land. They also talk about wanting to be able to host tourneys. Looks like Colorado Springs is really steping up as far as disc golf is concerned. I'm excited to hear about this and really look forward to what comes out of it.

I'll try and post pics and links when we get back tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

And on another note, CSU Pueblo is steping up as well. They've really put some time in returning the course to it's original glory, after a long period of neglect. Brand new baskets have replaced the stolen ones, all new locks, new tee pads on the holes that had none, new tee marker poles and numbers, etc.

Gotta love Colorado.

here is the link to the article, I have an invite into the reporter to go throw. When I get more info I'll post as well. Some of the facts are slightly inaccurate, but it puts an overall good spin on the sport.

You know the funny thing I remember from when I was out in CS back in July was how crowded Cottonwood was (on a weekday morning no less). Later that day, I crossed town and went to Widefield (which is a better course IMO) and probably didn't even see five players.

You know the funny thing I remember from when I was out in CS back in July was how crowded Cottonwood was (on a weekday morning no less). Later that day, I crossed town and went to Widefield (which is a better course IMO) and probably didn't even see five players.

crazy how that is.. Cottonwood is a small slice of hell for me.. and you were here in July and you didn't call??? Next time you come out let me know. :thmbup:

Hey Fishy, I still haven't forgotten that invite to show me around Jellystone. I might be out early April. Can you get a day off during the week? April 11 or 12?

NOw if they can only place a course within walking distance to my house and I will be happy! I have long said a city the size of Springs should have more then the "2" that we currently have. For a population of over 400,000 that just didn't make sense.

Hey Fishy, I still haven't forgotten that invite to show me around Jellystone. I might be out early April. Can you get a day off during the week? April 11 or 12?

I might be able to swing that. let me know closer to the date. I could probably play sick for a day. We are doing tourney there on the 7th of April if you can get down earlier.

I might be able to swing that. let me know closer to the date. I could probably play sick for a day. We are doing tourney there on the 7th of April if you can get down earlier.

I've got a tourney out here at Shelton Springs, also on the 7th. I'll get back with you.

justin pointed this out to me.. this is from here

Many questions come to mind

Great front page story March 9 about the apparent need for the construction of six disc golf facilities. I'm puzzled as to how we can afford these new facilities when the city's pools can hardly be kept open and there has been a great furor over maintaining the tennis courts which have already been built.

Many questions come to mind. Will there be green fees paid for disc golf? Will we need to build five pro shops to cover the equipment needs of the discees and diskettes? Will we need additional employees to man the pro shop or act as starters for the participants? How many maintenance people will be needed to groom the fairways and see that the goals/holes are adequate?

Will we continue to water the disc golf courses the next time we decide to curtail watering the parks?

Howard Smith

Colorado Springs

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/wall-134920-history-kristin.html#ixzz1owMmoUmn

justin pointed this out to me.. this is from here

Many questions come to mind

Great front page story March 9 about the apparent need for the construction of six disc golf facilities. I'm puzzled as to how we can afford these new facilities when the city's pools can hardly be kept open and there has been a great furor over maintaining the tennis courts which have already been built.

Many questions come to mind. Will there be green fees paid for disc golf? Will we need to build five pro shops to cover the equipment needs of the discees and diskettes? Will we need additional employees to man the pro shop or act as starters for the participants? How many maintenance people will be needed to groom the fairways and see that the goals/holes are adequate?

Will we continue to water the disc golf courses the next time we decide to curtail watering the parks?

Howard Smith

Colorado Springs

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/wall-134920-history-kristin.html#ixzz1owMmoUmn

Good link up there Fishy. I wonder the same as well. To spend that kind of money on the disc golf courses just doesn't seem to jive with this economy and the other fundamental problems with the city. When the city has to turn off certain street lights to save money, just doesn't seem like they would spend the money on disc golf. In reality I would like to see 2-3 new GOOD courses soon, with the option to add others as the city improves it economic situation. I am certainly for the possibilty of pay to play for a good public course. That way we would minimize the impact of the "unwanted" disc golf crowd that is sometimes spotted at other local courses.

personally I hope they use the same tax money they used to turn back on the lights (MMJ taxes). Also I heard there is a $2.4 million budget just for watering the parks, that was this weekend on one of the news channels. So if they took 60k out of that, I think it would mean they would have to water 2.5% less than normal.. if they water 50 days/ summer that would shorten it by 1 day. I think the grass will survive.

Each course is gonna need a good 'club' of disc golfers that enjoy keeping their course nice and in good condition. If players are willing to put in the effort, I think these courses can do alright.

When I used to ride BMX every day, we would spend an hour or more before riding fixing, building, and grooming our jumps and trails. I think this type of mentallity should be and is present a lot in disc golf.

This is a huge step but coming up with the cash is going to take a lot of work. Cottonwood has been my home course for the last 15 years and it is ridiculously busy. I used to be able to do a cardio round in 45 minutes but it is way too crowded now. But on the subject of the economics, if we put in some premium courses lets say at Palmer Park etc. and maybe a temporary course at Garden of the Gods we could easily host worlds. (I say temporary because I don't think there is any way they'd allow a permanent course there.) The tax revenue from filling up the hotels and restaurants would far exceed the price tag for the courses. To be able to host a tourney with America's mountain as the back drop would have huge appeal. And the altitude would be a great challenge for the worlds best.

I was surprised to see they were approving 5 new courses at once. Do you guys know the details of the locations of these proposed courses? Are they proposing five 9 holers, a mix of 9 or 18, or is it even that far yet? Sometimes quality beats quantity, and if this was happening in my area I would rather have 2 quality 18 hole courses than 5 nine-holers. It also might get the wheels turning faster if they can concentrate on only two properties, but I don't know how much land is available.
These are just my thoughts, but either way it sounds like things are really looking up in the Springs.They are long overdue just like they are in the Fort.

So far specific sites have not been identified as far as I know. There are only a few parks owned by the city with enough acreage to accommodate 18 holes and I totally agree each one should be an 18 and top quality. It is almost a certainty that currently undeveloped land would need to be drawn into the mix. The smart move would be to put the first one in at Palmer Park. A course there could be absolutely epic. There is a great mix of conifers, scrub oaks, rock formations, elevation changes and views of Pike's Peak. With a 12K per course price tag I don't know if that leaves room in the budget for professional design? One thing is for sure, this town is one of the best venues for disc golf anywhere. The weather is favorable year round including low humidity. Often one of my buddies will point to the mountains and say, "We get to play here."

I think hosting worlds might be a bit of a stretch since we'll be competing with the new courses in Pine (that place is gonna be off the hook!). I think we would be better having more sanctioned or unsanctioned tourneys. As far as the local club goes, I like a lot of the guys, but then again I don't play with them. There is such animosity and old grudges locally between some of the guys that I doubt it will ever actually come together to form more than "We play on Saturday to fund the best guy's beer money" kind of club. It sucks.

And really as far as Cottonwood is concerned, we better hope that no one from the city ever shows up and see's how bad the property has been treated by the "chuckers". Everytime I play there it's more broken or cut branches/ trees. We just lost HP because of it.

So far specific sites have not been identified as far as I know. There are only a few parks owned by the city with enough acreage to accommodate 18 holes and I totally agree each one should be an 18 and top quality. It is almost a certainty that currently undeveloped land would need to be drawn into the mix. The smart move would be to put the first one in at Palmer Park. A course there could be absolutely epic. There is a great mix of conifers, scrub oaks, rock formations, elevation changes and views of Pike's Peak. With a 12K per course price tag I don't know if that leaves room in the budget for professional design? One thing is for sure, this town is one of the best venues for disc golf anywhere. The weather is favorable year round including low humidity. Often one of my buddies will point to the mountains and say, "We get to play here."

I agree that Palmer Park would be awesome, I've heard Pulpit Rock also bantered about, that would be a good one also. I think there needs to be one on the westside, I like the Garden of the Gods idea, but I can't see it happening. I know Bear Creek was also bantered around several years ago, I think it could be either awesome or total crap, depending on what part. Last time I was up at Red Canyon Open Space I noticed there is some unused area on the west side of it. I have heard the Powers and Woodmen area touted as well, I think it would be a huge mistake, we already have one crappy, open, windy course at Turkey Creek.

Too bad about your local club. Sounds like a group of guys with each other's phone numbers rather than an organization.
Anyhow, I was wondering if you knew someone with experience dealing with park boards (or something similar) that might act as a "consultant" to push the advantages of two 18 hole courses. I would think these could be fully installed for $25,000/ea., with a savings to the city of 10 grand. I've not looked at a course cost proposal in a while but I think this is in line with 18 holes with all bells and whistles. They can even use the other $10,000 on a 9 hole course somewhere if they choose to. I know there's a lot of guys on the front range that do course design,too. I wish you guys well. Fishy, I'll shoot you a PM before I head out to CO. in a couple weeks. Maybe we can get a round in. :thmbup:

Too bad about your local club. Sounds like a group of guys with each other's phone numbers rather than an organization.
Anyhow, I was wondering if you knew someone with experience dealing with park boards (or something similar) that might act as a "consultant" to push the advantages of two 18 hole courses. I would think these could be fully installed for $25,000/ea., with a savings to the city of 10 grand. I've not looked at a course cost proposal in a while but I think this is in line with 18 holes with all bells and whistles. They can even use the other $10,000 on a 9 hole course somewhere if they choose to. I know there's a lot of guys on the front range that do course design,too. I wish you guys well. Fishy, I'll shoot you a PM before I head out to CO. in a couple weeks. Maybe we can get a round in. :thmbup:

We have some great guys in the club that are very professional. If we got 2 great courses in good locations that would be far superior to 5 courses in BS areas. We also have a tremendous amount of DB's here, too, that need their egos stroked or they act like 12 year olds. I could literally see someone undermining the whole thing if they thought they weren't a big enough part of it. We'll see. I think the club here has a lot of potential, they all need to learn how to put their pasts behind them and work for the greater goals. Let me know when you get here jeff and we'll go hit Jellystone for sure. I'd like to get up to Mountain Meadows soon as well.

Palmer park has got my vote! I could drive there in 4 minutes! I will say it now, I am for pay to play with any of the new courses being built. I understand the cost issue and would like to keep the disrespectful players out of it. I would hate to see a new course being trashed by such players, it has happened many times before in the Springs, i.e. Cottonwood and H.P.

Latest posts