• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

7 Mold/25 Disc Limit

Well I'm under the belief that the plastic can change between the mold but not the actual configuration of the disc itself. So an Aviar PnA is a different mold then a Yeti or KC Pro. An addition of a bead makes it a different mold IMO

There are two approved Aviar molds on the "official" doc, yet there are (supposedly all approved...):
Beadless (PnA)
Small Bead
Big Bead
Big Bead Aviar-X
Big Bead PnA
Yeti Pro Test Config

I'm sure I left some out too so if anyone wants to fill in the blanks, feel free.

For purpose of this exercise, does having the same mold in two different plastics count as two molds?

No. I think that would be too limiting considering people use the same mold in various plastics. That brings up an interesting consideration though, since I have a couple of discs that are of the same "mold" but are considerably different...like two pre-Avery Star Destroyers that have difference wing curvature and PLH.

(4) BB Aviars - Champion -3@ 175g, 1@ 150g (flippy)
(1) Zone - Z - 172g
(2) Buzzz - Cryztal Z -178g (flippy), Glo - 178g
(2) Leopard - Pro - 174g (flippy), Champion - 174g
(1) Eagle X - Star - 172g
(2) Valk - Star - 174g (flippy), Star - 175g
(2) Wraith- Star - 170g, Champion- 172g

My normal bag would add a Buzzz SS, Eagle (L), and the rarely used Blizzard Boss. Depending on the course. I don't like a heavy bag.

why does it have to be limited to a certain number of molds... that's just dumb if you ask me. i can see a disc limit but mold limit?

It was just being talked about on the McBeth sticky as something he responded to a question about doing like ball golf and limiting the number of clubs (in our case, discs) you can carry. He mentioned disc limit and mold limit so I thought I'd have some fun w/ it.

i understand where you're coming from, i'm just saying I think Paul's mold limit idea is dumb.

I think it's great to talk ideas like this out before it ever even becomes a twinkle in the PDGA rules committee's eye. While I don't think it's a completely dumb idea, I think it would be difficult to implement and would require defining what constitutes a mold...haha, good luck w/ that one.

3x Nuke 1-z glow 2-esp
3x Wraith 1-pro kinda beat 2-star in different stages of wear
2x Roadrunner 1-camp glow 1-star
2x Comet 1-z 1-esp
1x Warship tournement
1x XD does anything I want. I don't know why there isn't more talk about this disc.
3x Wizard 1-RFF 2-ssss

I would only be taking a firebird and zone out of my current bag for this setup.

This is messed up, but I almost can't do it with only 7 molds. 25 discs is easy for me, but I prefer to have a durable version of each mold I prefer.

Fun exercise, but while a 25 disc limit rule seems feasible, the 7 mold limit seems much harsher to me.

Seems like a 25 disc limit, but only 7 molds, caters to those who like to rotate beat-up-able plastics in the same mold...or to be more blunt, those that throw Rocs, the disc that's essentially 7 molds in one. I hit too many trees to count on relaibly breaking in 'cheaper' plastics. The best I can come up with:

3x Destroyer
1x xXx
1x Volt
3x Tbird
1x Cryztal Buzz
1x Opto Fuse
3x Ion

Sobering thought, if I ever had (have) to do this for a PDGA event I would struggle, given my current bag set-up of something like:

1x Katana
1x Destroyer
1x Beast
1x xXx
1x (sometimes) Sidewinder
1x Volt
1x Tbird
1x River

1x RC3
1x Cryztal Buzzz
1x Opto Fuse
1x ESP Comet
2x Rhyno
2x Aviar P&A
2x Ion

There's a good bit of overlap in this latter, clearly. I'm still trying out some things, narrowing down my "core" bag. But the # of molds vs. discs problem I'd face is clear.

You don't throw your clubs in golf...and you can't lose them (often) Golfballs have limited shot shapes. This would probably hurt smaller manufacturers who might just get a mold tryout in your bag... where you could use 1 mold in a number of ages and plastics from the big manufacturers. Could you imagine the pain if Innova cut 50% of their molds but added twice the number of plastics, lol to get around the mold limit by creating the same mold but different flight characterstics through plastics. I have an eagle in 10 plastics, 5 PLH's, and 5 levels of domey. "Is that KC, JK, R, Performance, Turn, Fade, or Durable Pro plastic? Dang as I started writing it out... I guess they already do that.

I already only carry 7 molds, so my bag would be:

Lace x2-3
Ascent x2
Trak x2-3
Obex x1
Ibex x3-4
VP x3-4
Ridge x2
Summit x2

However, if this was ever put into practice, I'd rather there not be a mold limit. I'd rather just limit the number of discs that can be carried and I personally think 20 is a good number for that.

You don't throw your clubs in golf...and you can't lose them (often) Golfballs have limited shot shapes. This would probably hurt smaller manufacturers who might just get a mold tryout in your bag... where you could use 1 mold in a number of ages and plastics from the big manufacturers. Could you imagine the pain if Innova cut 50% of their molds but added twice the number of plastics, lol to get around the mold limit by creating the same mold but different flight characterstics through plastics. I have an eagle in 10 plastics, 5 PLH's, and 5 levels of domey. "Is that KC, JK, R, Performance, Turn, Fade, or Durable Pro plastic? Dang as I started writing it out... I guess they already do that.

LOL, speak for yourself! A round of ball golf with me can turn into more of an Olympic Decathalon.

This would probably hurt smaller manufacturers who might just get a mold tryout in your bag... where you could use 1 mold in a number of ages and plastics from the big manufacturers.

I don't necessarily agree. I would assume most competitive players don't "try out" new molds in competition...which is where I assume this would be in effect (even those this is just hypothetical)

And, FWIW, if this thread did anything at all (besides upset some people)...at least you re-thought your bag line-up for second or two.

3 Aviars - a 170g KC Pro, a 172g seasoned DX, and a 175g Star Driver
1 Cryztal Flx Zone
3 Rocs - a 175g Beat DX, 175g new DX, and a 165g beat dx
2 Gators - a 175 seasoned DX and a Newer 175g Champ
3 DX Eagles 165, 170, 175g
2 Saints - 165g GL and a 170g Opto
3 Nukes - a 175g Cryztal, a 170g seasoned ESP, and a 170g Elite X

Last edited:
with the ones with 3, having one be somewhat new, another slightly beat in, and the last real beat in

Wizard x 2
Fuses x 3
Pain x 3
Saint x 3
River x 3
Sword x 3
Rampage x 3

Ion (x3 textured bottom 2 med / 1 soft)
Buzzz (x3 1 beat up z / 1 new z / 1 cryztal flx)
Fuse (x2 opto 1 beat / 1 very beat)
Firebird (x2 champ glow for very OS and 11x champ for regular OS)
Teebird (x3 or 4 in champ/star/dx to cover stabilities)
Wraith (x3 or 4 in pro/e* to cover stabilities)

for the 7th spot: summit x2 or zone x2 depending on the course and what shots are needed (maybe something else if there is a need for other shots) Would leave this spot flexible and depending on the course/conditions

Latest posts