• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Plastic Pancake

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was at at tournament last weekend, and they had some discs for sale. One disc I looked at was extremely soft, and felt like a plastic pancake. Very, very floppy. I don't remember the name one the disc, so I am wondering if anyone has seen a disc like this. It seems like it might make a good approach disc, so I would like to get the name so I can look at the flight chart of the disc. Let me know if this rings a bell.

From looking at pics online, I think it might be a "Blow Fly". Anyone have or have thrown this disc? I am looking for an approach disc that sticks.

Midnightbiker said:
From looking at pics online, I think it might be a "Blow Fly". Anyone have or have thrown this disc? I am looking for an approach disc that sticks.
I have never thrown one but I play with a guy who uses it for approaches and putting. Overall he has good control with it and I was impressed with the way he used it until one windy day. Then that was a different story. That thing was all over the place for him. So from my observations if there is no wind it should be fine but once that wind picks up watch out.

Midnightbiker said:
If it is a Blow-Fly you'd be better off just throwing a pancake. Floppiest disc I've ever seen, not really good for anything except sticking to the ground; unless you like to try and make putts through the cage...

I threw the Blowfly as my main putter for about 4 months. It somehow finds it's way into the basket after hitting ridiculous spots on the target. However, it hits more ridiculous metal than any other putter I've ever thrown. Conclusion: Forgiving when you are inaccurate, but is always inaccurate.

Edit: The reason for the inaccuracy is that you can't pitch putt with it. It flops to much. Because of this you have to spin putt it, leading to more misses in every direction for me.

For approaches, it is not really that much better than slightly stiffer discs. I've had plenty of bad roll-aways with the Blowfly.

The only place I found it to shine was in short drives where you have a high probability of hitting trees. I can easily get the Blowfly out to 250' and when it hits a tree, it drops. Who wants to step up to a shot planning on hitting trees though?

Bottom line: You can do better. You are already throwing a Soft Mag aren't you? That will do just as well.

cmlasley said:
For approaches, it is not really that much better than slightly stiffer discs. I've had plenty of bad roll-aways with the Blowfly.

There are two guys in my club that swear by the blowfly. They mostly use it for putts that they're afraid of rollaways. Recently we played a course with a basket on the side of a hill. Of course one of them used their blowfly. Of course they didn't make the putt and it proceeded to roll down the hill about 100 feet. I don't see the point, I'll stick to my wizard.

ky chris said:
Of course they didn't make the putt and it proceeded to roll down the hill about 100 feet. I don't see the point, I'll stick to my wizard.

It's important to note that this can and does happen with any other putter out there. I've seen similar problems from Cam Todd challengers (which are SUPER stiff), Soft APXs, Reefs (which are a stiff APX), magnets of all varieties, wizards, aviars, an omega, you name it. It's not inherently a blowfly problem.

I've seen people who're sick accurate with blowflies, I've seen people who're sick accurate with rubber putters... I can't say I'd use either, but that's more due to my preference of flight path when thrown flat than the plastic used.

The blowfly is actually a good disc if you're a spin putter...but I'm starting to think I'm one of the last spin putters on planet Earth.

I personally can't stand throwing floppy discs. The flexibility of the flight plate screws up the release.

I've also seen floppy discs have just as many roll aways as anything else. Sometimes round objects tend to roll. It's just the way it is. Many new players go through a period of having to get the softest putter possible, to stick to chain better and stop when it hits the ground. I had this phase myself. It passes after you realize the negatives outweigh the positives.

I have a Gumbputt that I used to LOVE. I spent lots of time learning it and eventually got an ace with it. I never felt like it was inconsistent (but you do have to figure out how to throw floppier discs). The strangest thing about that disc that I had to learn was the slope of the inside of the rim.

I liked that disc for one disc rounds at our local hillly and short course. It is long enough to hyzerflip a 300' drive and sticky enough to stay seated. Rollaways on my course can easily change a birdie into a double bogey.

marmoset said:
I have a Gumbputt that I used to LOVE.
Blunt Gumbputt or Powerdrive Gumbputt? I tried both, and thought the PD was just too floppy. The Blunt isn't bad though, and is actually pretty good for playing catch.

adamschneider said:
marmoset said:
I have a Gumbputt that I used to LOVE.
Blunt Gumbputt or Powerdrive Gumbputt? I tried both, and thought the PD was just too floppy. The Blunt isn't bad though, and is actually pretty good for playing catch.

blunt. I agree about playing catch with it.

SkaBob said:
It's important to note that this can and does happen with any other putter out there. I've seen similar problems from Cam Todd challengers (which are SUPER stiff), Soft APXs, Reefs (which are a stiff APX), magnets of all varieties, wizards, aviars, an omega, you name it. It's not inherently a blowfly problem.

Correct.

The problem is that many people get a Blowfly and think all their roll-aways will go away. Then they throw it with no concern with how it will land because they think it will always stick - and it's gone daddy, gone.

And they got it just to prevent roll-aways. If you are buying and carrying a disc just to resist the roll, you're wasting weight and resources.

cmlasley said:
SkaBob said:

Correct.

The problem is that many people get a Blowfly and think all their roll-aways will go away. Then they throw it with no concern with how it will land because they think it will always stick - and it's gone daddy, gone.

And they got it just to prevent roll-aways. If you are buying and carrying a disc just to resist the roll, you're wasting weight and resources.

This was my point exactly. The only reason the guys in my club carry the blowfly is because they think it will prevent rollaways. I thought it was ironic that his blowfly resulted in perhaps the longest rollaway that any of us have seen. I didn't want to imply that it won't happen with other discs.

Well, after all of the reading, I think I will stick with my soft Magnet as my approach disc.

Eric O said:
I personally can't stand throwing floppy discs. The flexibility of the flight plate screws up the release.

I've also seen floppy discs have just as many roll aways as anything else. Sometimes round objects tend to roll. It's just the way it is. Many new players go through a period of having to get the softest putter possible, to stick to chain better and stop when it hits the ground. I had this phase myself. It passes after you realize the negatives outweigh the positives.

^^ What he said. Eric is very wise.

Latest posts