• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Weekend in Austin for World's Biggest

jsc430

Double Eagle Member
A couple of friends and I are heading to Austin from Houston next weekend and Im looking to get some condition updates and general feedback about our plan.

Austin has so many great courses its been real hard to narrow it down when we only have two days to play...I wish I could stay for a month. This is what we came up with:

Thursday
PM: East Metro or Moody's (depending on if we can get on)

Friday
AM: Searight (Birdie-Fest?, Recent Redesign); Circle C
PM: Austin Ridge Bible Church

Saturday
AM: Circle R - Hills
PM: Circle R - Meadows

We are considering adding the MetCenter(Mud?) or one of the Parkshire courses. We have also looked at Bart and Wilco - are these two worth the trip?

Any suggestions? Course Updates?

The course pages have been alot of help in planning the trip but theres no sub for first hand info. Thanks for your help...

Looks like a good mix of courses. If you are deciding between Searight & Circle C, I'd definitely choose Circle C. Austin Ridge Bible Church is a great course, but holes 14-18 are closed due to parking lot construction. IMO, still worth checking out even w/ the closed holes. Don't forget the two "alternate" holes A & B @ the Ridge. They are after hole #11. #A goes straight up a hillside (260 ft hole, par 4!). #B goes straight back down the same massive hill. With these two extra holes, you still get 15 total.

MetCenter should be renamed "mudcenter" & is sub-par IMO to the other courses you listed. Wilco is a great course & is worth the drive if you have the time. It does cost $1 to play & is closed if there has been a recent rain. I'd choose it over Bart. Bart is getting a little over-grown in some parts along the creek & can be a nightmare to navigate if you've never been there before.

IMO, the top must-play courses in the Austin area are Circle C, East Metro, Austin Ridge Bible Church, Wilco, and the Circle R courses.

As far as cart friendly:

Circle C will be a little tricky in places

East Metro should be cart-friendly if we don't get anymore rain this week.. it can get pretty muddy in spots

Austin Ridge will be tough. Lots of elevation on every hole. If you have a bag, I'd bring it b/c it'd be worth it to play this course...

Wilco will be a breeze w/ a cart

Circle R courses should be fine, short of a couple of spots (creek crossings and such)

Hope this helps & hope to see yall out @ World's Biggest :)

^^^^ Thank you much for the info. Our plan is to play Searight first (to catch some birds and build our confidence :hfive:) then head to Circle C with at stop at disc nation in b/t. I would really like to throw wilco in the mix but i think we'll have stick to the south side this trip.

I'm sure you seen the thread about one our fellow dgers who had his car broken into at pease. I've played there so i know there are plenty of crazies to go around but, is this an exception? We will be in a truck and will have a coolers, the cart(when not in use), lawn chairs, etc in the back while we are playing. Should we be worried about theft?

Searight is cart friendly. The ridge and circle c are bumpy and hilly but carts have been dragged through them both. I am just not sure it will save any energy dragging one around on either course. I do recommend both courses though. I will be at circle r saturday. I love those courses. the hill course has had some cedar removal this week so the view is even more spectacular. Pease was the first course I ever played back in 93 and the only course I played for about 3 years. It is not common for a locked car to be broken into there, but it can happen anywhere there is a person who wants something they can see through a window. You would be less likely to run into that issue if you park in the north end of the course where the dog park is and start on hole 5. The basket for 4 is right there as well so you can start and finish near your truck and be away from the main lot for the park.

Latest posts