• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace pot payout. Weather cancelation?

I don't see how a CTP is different than an ace pot in this example. Everyone puts in a certain amount of money for a chance on certain holes to win more money back. Some people get to play those holes, some don't.

The leagues around here that have ace pots are flex starts and you can start on any hole you want. I guess if the weather is sketchy, then everyone should just run to the part of the course where there are 3 ace runs back to back to back instead of going to the harder par 4s. This would cause a big backup at the course and some people might not even get to start their round before the weather starts... I guess those that don't even get to start don't get their ace pot back?

Look, you obviously know more about your league and whatnot so im not gonna argue about it with you anymore. Do whatever you want.

I would offer these bits of advice;

Structure your league better. If there are many teams at the start, have them start on several holes. If you come late, you can get in when there is a gap on hole 1.

Whatever you decide to do w/r/t ace pot/payout/hole min etc, put it in writig and stick to it.

My suggestion, pay out aces, and remind everyone of what your SOP is w/r/t weather cutting league short and what happens with an ace.
Good luck

So how do these stagger start league report scores? Does the LD sit around all day and collect cards as they come in?
If they're doubles leagues how do you pick partners?

wow.. there are some greedy stingy people in here who like to whine and make excuses.

if somebody hits an ace you pay them no matter if the round is finished or not. it's just in the spirit of it, who gives a **** if you didn't get to play the "easy" holes he played. quit worrying about getting yours and revel in the joy and reward somebody else attained.

lighten up people, when you can find happiness in other peoples happiness you'll be better off.

Write out on paper a policy to handle such events ahead of time. Inform all players of the policy before you begin collecting money. Follow the policy to the letter, whatever it may be.

I'd be more pissed to get an ace and not get paid than to have someone else get paid for an ace on a hole I didn't get to play.

My 2 cents.

I like the idea of 50% payout in a weather-shortened round. It doesn't seem fair to not pay someone who hit an ace, and it also doesn't seem fair that every player doesn't get the same ace runs. I think the 50% payout is a good compromise.

So why dont you just have anybody who did not play that hole on the shortened day play it the next week? Yes, I understand there are other holes that could be aced, but the hole in question was aced. Give everyone a chance, payout, move on.

Missed it if it was already said, but...

Why not pay out the percentage of money to match the percentage of holes completed?

Missed it if it was already said, but...

Why not pay out the percentage of money to match the percentage of holes completed?

Fair, but then you need a provision for what determining exactly what percentage of holes was finished. You might have some people having finished 10 holes, some 14. All to be calculated while fleeing lightning. More rules.

Easier to say it doesn't get paid, or it does get paid, and leave it at that.

So how do these stagger start league report scores? Does the LD sit around all day and collect cards as they come in?

:confused:

The person running the league gets there at about 5:15. Starts collecting money and people head out when they get a 4-some. He takes off on the last card at about 6:00. When we come back, we just stick the scorecards on his windshield. Since he is the last card out, he doesn't have to wait around.

If a round is called due to weather with one guy having 2 holes to go where he sits at 16 under and the next closest person is only 5 under, do you pay out the win to that player? I just don't see why you should pay out for an ace in a non league round. Agree to disagree :\

An example in another sport: In baseball if you hit a home run in a game that gets canceled due to weather, you don't get the home run. Easy as that. The game wasn't officially completed, so you don't get credit for anything that happened.

Only takes one strike to kill someone.

Actually Johnny Carson interviewed a retired forest ranger back in the mid-80s who'd been struck by lightning 7 times, and he wasn't dead. Yet.
If you've ever been in a lightning storm where its striking every 3-5 seconds, you know how terrifying it can be. Especially above treeline.

An example in another sport: In baseball if you hit a home run in a game that gets canceled due to weather, you don't get the home run. Easy as that. The game wasn't officially completed, so you don't get credit for anything that happened.

Home runs are way more common than aces are. Hank Aaron doesn't list the circumstances and location of every bomb he ever hit in his forum signature. Baseball is also a team sport, not an individual one, so home runs are less relevant than aces. Pay the man.

Here's a possible suggestion, and I can't say that its exactly fair, or even practical in every circumstance, but how about letting everyone who was present at league, but didn't get to play the aced hole, take a tee shot at it either after the weather has cleared, or possibly at next week's league.

If you know bad weather is coming you take the risk of playing. We all have a weather app on our phone that we check regularly right? If one of our league members hit an ace and we got cancelled after 9 or so holes I'd be more than happy to shake his hand and congradulate him for an ace.

If it makes anyone feel better, I was extremely close to hitting an ace last night right before we canceled. I would have had no problem not getting paid...