• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Adding Discs Mid Round

Sean Johnson

Eagle Member
So I wanted a few outside opinions regarding something that came up this last weekend:

During the final round of the tournament, I managed to leave every putter I had in the car. After two holes, the flow of the course would have allowed me to swing by the car to grab them.

I asked the TD, who was on my card, whether I had time to do so. My expectation was that he would shoot me down for pace of play (etc.) reasons, which I would have 100% agreed with.

However, his reason for saying no was (and I'm paraphrasing here): "you can't use any discs during the round that you did not start the round with."

Try as I might, I haven't been able to validate that in the Competition Manual or Rule book.

The same question would apply for other, similar situations. I like to park my car in locations where I can swing by and grab extra water or towels, and have considered picking up discs while there.

What say you DGCR? Please reference the specific rule, if found.

No rule. You can add discs from your car, you can buy discs mid-round, you can borrow discs from another player. As long as the disc is legal for play and uniquely marked (the rules don't have to say it's your mark either) you're good to go. Yet another "rule" that's been passed between players who've never read the rule book.

I've heard something to that effect myself: you can't obtain an additional disc during the round, but I can't recall running across it in the book.
No rule. You can add discs from your car, you can buy discs mid-round, you can borrow discs from another player. As long as the disc is legal for play and uniquely marked (the rules don't have to say it's your mark either) you're good to go. Yet another "rule" that's been passed between players who've never read the rule book.
Thanks - good to know.

What about using an otherwise approved disc from your buddy's bag, assuming they weren't using it?

^ Would this be legal?

Last edited:
So I wanted a few outside opinions regarding something that came up this last weekend:

During the final round of the tournament, I managed to leave every putter I had in the car. After two holes, the flow of the course would have allowed me to swing by the car to grab them.

I asked the TD, who was on my card, whether I had time to do so. My expectation was that he would shoot me down for pace of play (etc.) reasons, which I would have 100% agreed with.

However, his reason for saying no was (and I'm paraphrasing here): "you can't use any discs during the round that you did not start the round with."

Try as I might, I haven't been able to validate that in the Competition Manual or Rule book.

The same question would apply for other, similar situations. I like to park my car in locations where I can swing by and grab extra water or towels, and have considered picking up discs while there.

What say you DGCR? Please reference the specific rule, if found.

He was DEAD WRONG. There is no rule that says you can only play with what you started. Never has been, and frankly, there never should be in the future. Just another made-up rule that people think is right but is absolutely not.

The pace of play argument is probably the only one that might hold water in this case, but if you take too long to run to your car, you just get a warning (or a penalty if you've already been warned) for excessive time. You still get to go, though. He can't stop you from going.

I hope this was not a PDGA sanctioned event. Because if it was PDGA sanctioned, that means this guy took the official's test to "prove" he knew the rules. It's borderline shameful when people pass that easy open book test and still don't know the rules.

It was a C-tier. I didn't really argue because the group would have had to wait for me (though they were all totally fine with it) and it truly would have been a pace of play violation. Just seemed like a fishy rule and it seems my suspicions were correct.

I've heard something to that effect myself: you can't obtain an additional disc during the round, but I can't recall running across it in the book.

Thanks - good to know.

What about using an otherwise approved disc from your buddy's bag, assuming they weren't using it?

^ Would this be legal?

As long as its uniquely marked yes. Could be his name.

I think this is one of those times a person may be confusing disc golf tourney rules and ball golf tourney rules. In ball golf during a tournament you are not allowed to use a club that you didn't start the round with..., unless a club was damaged during a legal golf swing.

But it's a little disconcerting for the Tournament Director to get it so wrong.

A Tp Tursas. Shot like crap, but my putting wasnt the problem. I never really got close to catching 1st and had enough cushon to hold off 3rd.

Those soft N Ions you sold me :D. They're currently en route to Goose for a mindwarp/spin dye combo, so I'm bagging a Soft P Anode (which I'm pretty sure came from you too, lol).

I want to add that I do think that it was an honest mistake on his part and there's no hard feelings on my end.

:hfive:

I threw a sick USA flag like dye on my one, have a stock stamp for my putter and then a 1/2 blurple/pink watercolor like split dyed back up for a thrower. Have a few anodes but they haven't made it back in the bag I cant get myself to throw any other putters really lol.

The TD was wrong and there is no rule saying you can't add discs that are yours. However the only time you can take a disc from another player is before play begins or if that player is your partner. You can't, for instance, ask another person on your card to try out that sweet new disc that he got while playing your round. I didn't dig through the rule book, but I am almost 95% sure that is the case.

:clap:

I specifically asked Emac this last year at the monkey island open and he assured me it's fine to add discs during a round. No rule against it.

I think people assume like I did that you can't because it's a rule in golf. At least I was always told that. 14 clubs to a bag and no clubs added once your round starts. I think people have taken that and applied it to disc golf minus the numbers part and spread it around like you can't add discs mid round.

The TD was wrong and there is no rule saying you can't add discs that are yours. However the only time you can take a disc from another player is before play begins or if that player is your partner. You can't, for instance, ask another person on your card to try out that sweet new disc that he got while playing your round. I didn't dig through the rule book, but I am almost 95% sure that is the case.

Sorry, but this is just flat wrong. As long as it is legal for PDGA play, and is uniquely marked (doesn't have to be YOUR mark, either) you can throw it. If it's someone else's disc, you should probably ask them before using it, though

:clap:

I specifically asked Emac this last year at the monkey island open and he assured me it's fine to add discs during a round. No rule against it.

I think people assume like I did that you can't because it's a rule in golf. At least I was always told that. 14 clubs to a bag and no clubs added once your round starts. I think people have taken that and applied it to disc golf minus the numbers part and spread it around like you can't add discs mid round.

Maybe I did pull the "borrowed" rule from ball golf. However you can add clubs if you have room in your bag at any point (time limits on play apply) and replace clubs. I know for certain that you can't borrow a club as one guy accidentally dropped his in a pond during a tournament round. In fact, that was the rule. You can borrow a club from your playing partner only if both bags don't add to more than 14. Otherwise you have to play your own and each can have 14. It's too damn hard going back and forth with the rules in both golfs.