• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Advice for my first distance driver?

Try a Dynamic Discs Escape!!!! Flies on a similar line to a Teebird (with a touch more high speed turn) but with Moar glide and more of a true distance driver feel in the hand and in the air. To me, it is the ideal step up from a Teebird while still having less of a high speed power requirement than faster drivers like an Orc, Wraith, PD etc. A Valk or Sidewinder would also be a good choice it just depends on how much high speed turn you want to play with. A Valk and an Escape makes a great combo in the bag.

Star Valkyrie would be a great choice. It might even be worthwhile to pick up a DX Valkyrie at the same time. The DX will get flippy fast but they bomb! One other thing to consider is weight. I'm not sure what weight you usually throw for our drivers but I would suggest trying something 165-170 for whatever distance driver you choose.

Star Valkyrie would be a great choice. It might even be worthwhile to pick up a DX Valkyrie at the same time. The DX will get flippy fast but they bomb! One other thing to consider is weight. I'm not sure what weight you usually throw for our drivers but I would suggest trying something 165-170 for whatever distance driver you choose.

Planning on 167-169, thats my favorite weight for all drivers, only my putters and mids are max weight.

Planning on 167-169, thats my favorite weight for all drivers, only my putters and mids are max weight.

My suggestion is to start with a Pro Valk in that range, then get a Star in case you get one that's a little OS.

My problem with the Tern suggestion is I'm guessing I could throw a speed 9 just as far because my power isn't huge. From speed 7 to 12 is a huge jump. Good to know about the thunderbird though. Leaning towards the valk
Having thrown both, the Tern isn't as much of a jump as you'd think, but the Valk is a very good disc. The Tern is straighter, where the Valk turns right before coming back. I replaced the Valk with the Avenger SS, and eventually with the MVP Inertia, but the Valk was a great disc. Working your way up is not a bad plan at all.

Within the given choice, T-bird I think would be nice, with the Discmania one mentioned a close second. If you were looking outside of that, the Escape from DD and the Amp from MVP are also solid choices.

You may even consider going lighter than 167...I was in a similar situation as you, where I was maxing out at about 300-320' using a PFN 173 Sidewinder and a 174 Star Beast for driving duties. One day I found a 158 Katana in the river with no ink, and the lighter weight (instantly) gave me another 40-50 feet. I may be wrong (or stating the obvious), but lighter weights seem to negate some of the overstability of the higher speed discs that I thought were "too much disc" for my arm.

You need to decide if you want to step up in speed, but stay with a control driver, or do you want to step into the 20mm range, what I would consider a distance driver.

If you want to stay with a control driver I'd say go with something faster and a tick more understable then your bird, like an opto Saint.
If you want to step into driver world, then start with a mvp inertia, it's the pdga disc this year for a reason, it will s nicely for you and when you get your arm up to speed it will go waaaay right then settle down to the ground flat as it slows but never hook back like the tesla does.

Another suggestion I have not seen is a vip northman, it will give you an s and if you don't have the arm speed for a big rim disc a soft finish, it doesn't dump like faster discs will unless you really power down.

Star Valkyries are AWESOME first distance drivers. I strongly recommend (you can use it for turnover shots once it beats in).

Another vote for the valk. Worked best for me at this distance. The small rim makes it easy to snap stiller and the high speed under stability is useful to get that nice full distance line.

Pick up a tern and give that a whirl too, may not net you much extra distance with useful control at first, but should help you get the hang of leveraging the weight of a true distance driver and eventually you'll be bombing them.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but you can't go wrong with a upper 150,s gram Archangel. These things really sail for a 8 speed disc.:thmbup: