• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Plateau - Form Advice

jthayres

Hello,

A little background, I played fairly often from 2011-2013. I just recently started playing again and have played 4 rounds, and this is my 3rd field session which is where I took the videos. I'm at the same distance Plateau I was at previously, I'm fairly accurate at the speed I'm throwing. Here is what I have been throwing and distances as well as videos. Any input appreciated! The first video is 4 drives at different angles, the second is a slow mo. The grass was super wet/slick so my planting was a little more delicate then normal.

Boss - 260-300ft , I can get 300-330 if I do a big anhyzer angle throw on an open shot.

DD2 - 260-300ft, I tend to throw this the furthest but I do sometimes dive it to the right (like in the video almost 😁), so I'm more consistently far with the boss

Wraith/Destroyer/Emperor - 240-260ft

Fairway driver I use a relay and am throwing it about 220ft

Mid ranges roc3 and buzzz I can throw consistently straight 200ft but can't much more out of them

I ordered some slower speed drivers to give a try as well.

Attachments

• InShot_20230821_103358534.mp4
    35.6 MB
  • InShot_20230821_102431519.mp4
    32.6 MB
#1 Issue: You are keeping the disc curled to your chest during the entire reachback. You are essentially starting from the power pocket with almost no momentum. Pause your first video around the 1 second mark when your front foot hits the ground. Your arm is curled into your chest - it should be extended and pretty much straight at that point; some pros have a slight bend at max reachback extension, but the main thing is that you need to extend the arm / rotate shoulders away from the target before throwing.

#2 Issue: You are planting wide open. Fix this after fixing #1. You are in a "horsestance", with front foot towards the throwing line and rear foot away. Power comes from hips engaging and rotating during the throw. You need to plant your front foot more closed to your throwing line (essentially perpendicular) to allow hips to rotate backwards and then forwards again during the throw.

An easy way to feel this:

1. Stand up with feet wider than shoulder width. Point both feet 45 degrees outwards. Rotate hips from left to right and back again a few times.
2. Now, without moving your left foot, rotate your right foot so it is pointed straight. Rotate hips from right to left again and marvel at the highly increased mobility in the hips.

You are throwing well for someone who is just getting back into the sport. Try slower speed drivers and focus on releasing the disc flat to improve your distance. The key is to practice regularly.

#1 Issue: You are keeping the disc curled to your chest during the entire reachback. You are essentially starting from the power pocket with almost no momentum. Pause your first video around the 1 second mark when your front foot hits the ground. Your arm is curled into your chest - it should be extended and pretty much straight at that point; some pros have a slight bend at max reachback extension, but the main thing is that you need to extend the arm / rotate shoulders away from the target before throwing.

#2 Issue: You are planting wide open. Fix this after fixing #1. You are in a "horsestance", with front foot towards the throwing line and rear foot away. Power comes from hips engaging and rotating during the throw. You need to plant your front foot more closed to your throwing line (essentially perpendicular) to allow hips to rotate backwards and then forwards again during the throw.

An easy way to feel this:

1. Stand up with feet wider than shoulder width. Point both feet 45 degrees outwards. Rotate hips from left to right and back again a few times.
2. Now, without moving your left foot, rotate your right foot so it is pointed straight. Rotate hips from right to left again and marvel at the highly increased mobility in the hips.
Thank you for the feedback. Pulling the arm all the way back is definitely something I need to do, but man did it throw my whole timing off, was throwing about 210, started doing this motion from a stand still and was getting 240, after doing this a bit was hitting 290 on a slow approach with my wraith and DD2 but I can feel a ton is still off with timing, but encouraging to hit 290 with my motion all off!