• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] AGL Baobab

Froth

Par Member
Questions arose in the Stego thread and rather than continuing to go on in there I figured it would be better if this had its own place here. So, AGL Baobab… Go! I'll throw up some of the comments and quotes that came from the Stego thread. For those unaware, the Baobab is a Stego with a Gateway Shaman bottom which removes the bead found on a Stego, I find the Baobab to be more comfortable for my hands while still being hilariously OS.

No Baobab thread, anyone in here thrown them?

Yeah, it's good. Basically like a beat in Stego right away. Not as good feeling to me, but still pretty nice.

Excellent disc if you're looking for a Stego but don't like the feel of the bead on em. Out of the box it's a touch less OS than the Stego however that still makes it the most OS 4 speed you'll find in anyone's bag that isn't a Stego. AGL baseline plastic(Woodland) seems to hold up better for tree hits in my experience than the Stego baseline plastic as the Baobab doesn't crease when you mash it into a tree, seems to bounce back to shape more. Only have the Baobab in Woodland plastic currently but I have an Alpine plastic version on the way.

I got my Alpine Baobab in yesterday and threw it, while the Alpine plastic is noticeably more OS than the Woodland plastic it's still not Stego level and I believe I have figured out why. The Stego possesses a unique feature that it gets more OS the harder you throw it but the Baobab doesn't do this, for 100-150 foot shots the Baobab and Stego are almost identical but the difference is if you throw the Baobab hard enough it will not get more OS, so into a ripping headwind with enough torque it can actually be affected by it, it doesn't flip up from a hyzer but it'll push straight longer than a Stego for sure and it'll hold the extreme chop anhyzer longer before it fights out.

Welcoming other thoughts on this awesome disc, even if it can't find a slot in the bag well just look at it! Fancy. Big fan of Alpine plastic, reminds me of a slightly firmer Discraft Z FLX.

Attachments

• 9391482F-973E-4041-8D1E-E939DB7523B4.jpg
    9391482F-973E-4041-8D1E-E939DB7523B4.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 47
I have a Alpine on the way. . .OTB have it at (4) - Neutral Flatness. . my Woodland are basicly flat

I use it on short FH where the Zone don´t have "time" to fade.

I have not thrown my Woodland that much but the flightplate i VERY warped...hope the Alpine holds up better

I have a Alpine on the way. . .OTB have it at (4) - Neutral Flatness. . my Woodland are basicly flat

I use it on short FH where the Zone don´t have "time" to fade.

I have not thrown my Woodland that much but the flightplate i VERY warped...hope the Alpine holds up better
Alpine is flatter in the two discs I have, so there's hope for sure. Replaced my most OS Zone with it and it's been basically perfect thus far.

I kinda want to get an Alpine Baobab, solely to compare it to my Armor? Stego.

The Baobab I have has specs in it like hemp plastic, but feels like Armor/Hyperdiamond is that Alpine?

The Baobab I have has specs in it like hemp plastic, but feels like Armor/Hyperdiamond is that Alpine?
That sounds like some kind of Alpine mix/blend which AGL says they do sometimes on their website, my Alpine is perfectly clear with no specs like Z or Champ plastics are.

That would be an Alpine Hemp Baobab. I love my Alpine Hemp Mags, and would love to grab an Alpine Hemp Baobab when I can get my hands on one.

I want to try the Baobab and a Stego (again), but I can't see them fitting in between Bergs and Drones. Neither of those molds are leaving my bag period. Any input from others? Don't want to waste money on some paper weights if I find them redundant which I'm assuming I will.

I want to try the Baobab and a Stego (again), but I can't see them fitting in between Bergs and Drones. Neither of those molds are leaving my bag period. Any input from others? Don't want to waste money on some paper weights if I find them redundant which I'm assuming I will.

That's an interesting take… Stego is much more OS than either of these and achieves some unique shot shapes. I don't know that they would overlap at all for me.

I throw some beefy Buzzz OS's and the Baobab doesn't overlap at all, totally different shot making abilities especially thrown slow with a lot of angle.

Aaaaand I'm gonna buy a few:popcorn:

Can anybody weigh in on the different AGL plastics besides alpine?

I currently am running the rest of the summer at my local par 3 homerun derby course bagging only Serpents and Stegos. serpents for drives and long or downhill putts stegos for short putts FH approach, the odd roller and any hail Mary tomahawk.(so the harder you throw it the more OS it is, but at my lowest power/spin the stego seems more neutral/true stable than my serpent that fades out. I have to whip my serpy a Lil harder for a straight line and even without whipping it harder- the serpy rolls more than the stego. I play in the mountains lol, so putts can roll far)

Is there a really soft base plastic for AGL like RDGs' tarpit that could break in heavily and puddle top after a few tree hits?

I feel like I might be able to drive a broken in Baobab like I can a Serpent.

Are they making them in lower weights?

I got my Alpine Baobab in yesterday and threw it, while the Alpine plastic is noticeably more OS than the Woodland plastic it's still not Stego level and I believe I have figured out why. The Stego possesses a unique feature that it gets more OS the harder you throw it but the Baobab doesn't do this, for 100-150 foot shots the Baobab and Stego are almost identical but the difference is if you throw the Baobab hard enough it will not get more OS, so into a ripping headwind with enough torque it can actually be affected by it, it doesn't flip up from a hyzer but it'll push straight longer than a Stego for sure and it'll hold the extreme chop anhyzer longer before it fights out.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Both of my Baobabs definitely act more OS the harder you throw them.

Very interesting. I dont have any yet, but that was what another user said about them. I have a stack of medium woodland hemps on the way to compare to my tarpit stegos and will weigh in once I've beat one in
I'm just Hopi g for a "stego" with a shapable s curve

Can anybody weigh in on the different AGL plastics besides alpine?

I currently am running the rest of the summer at my local par 3 homerun derby course bagging only Serpents and Stegos. serpents for drives and long or downhill putts stegos for short putts FH approach, the odd roller and any hail Mary tomahawk.(so the harder you throw it the more OS it is, but at my lowest power/spin the stego seems more neutral/true stable than my serpent that fades out. I have to whip my serpy a Lil harder for a straight line and even without whipping it harder- the serpy rolls more than the stego. I play in the mountains lol, so putts can roll far)

Is there a really soft base plastic for AGL like RDGs' tarpit that could break in heavily and puddle top after a few tree hits?

I feel like I might be able to drive a broken in Baobab like I can a Serpent.

Are they making them in lower weights?
My Baobabs are mainly in Woodland, AGL's baseline plastic, which comes in differing stiffnesses. Mediums and Softs are the closest to Tarpit, although it should be noted that Tarpit has more grip and give overall.

For low power chip shots/putts beat ones fly similarly to fresh Armor and Fossil Serpents but are still more high and low speed stable, and I consider, and use them, as my OS Serpents.
On stronger throws the spoiler effect kicks in and increases the high speed stability, just like on the Stego. The difference, and what might cause somebody to think that spoiler effect doesn't happen, is the lack of fade the mold has. This is readily apparent when throwing the two molds back to back.

Thrown on a steep anhyzer a Stego will pull to flat and then a hyzer angle while ending up off the centerline, left of it on BH and right on FH. Baobabs pull to flat and land on the centerline.

I've got a 157 Tarpit that does those lines really well. No hate to AGL, but I prefer the OG.

Latest posts