• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Air bubbles in the rim

Here are two Destroyers I had right beside me; the champ one has what I would dub "acceptable bubbles" doesn't seem to affect flight.

The purple G*, which to be fair is an F2, is definitely less stable and has tons of surface bubbles that I would not say are acceptable. Some stock runs have these that are not F2 and that is a mistake IMO.

How does that Champion Destroyer fly? I find the lower domed ones to be less power needing to get the flight you want unlike most Star Destroyers where you want the normal dome as the Star plastic takes a fair bit less power to get going then Champion.

Yeah, I'm not liking any of Innova's air bubble stuff, blizzard or otherwise. Lately I've even been seeing star discs with air bubbles. The disc itself has a rough texture and the plastic looks cheap.

I guess Innova doesn't have good plastic anymore. I think Innova's champion plastic peaked in 2008 or later. Good, clear champion plastic that was hard and smooth. Lately their plastic simply isn't as good.

Obviously the stuff they make for tour players is still top notch, but their QC department seems to be letting a lot of subpar regular discs enter the market lately.

I disagree. They have plenty of great plastic out there. In the last few years we've seen the return of Jolly Launcher champ. Driver pro is making a comeback, and Star has been grippier than ever.

I don't doubt you've seen duds, Innova makes a absolute ton of discs, a lot more should probably be F2, but I haven't bought anything from infinite or Discmania store that I would return. I've easily bought 200+ discs over the last 4 years, different molds and plastic.

If your local retailer isn't getting better stock tell them to report that to Innova wholesale.

Not a stump speech, I have no idea if Innova will assist them, but they should try if it's that big of an issue

I disagree. They have plenty of great plastic out there. In the last few years we've seen the return of Jolly Launcher champ. Driver pro is making a comeback, and Star has been grippier than ever.

I don't doubt you've seen duds, Innova makes a absolute ton of discs, a lot more should probably be F2, but I haven't bought anything from infinite or Discmania store that I would return. I've easily bought 200+ discs over the last 4 years, different molds and plastic.

If your local retailer isn't getting better stock tell them to report that to Innova wholesale.

Not a stump speech, I have no idea if Innova will assist them, but they should try if it's that big of an issue

Jolly Launcher was (IMO) the best champion plastic Innova made. That or the old, indestructible pearly stuff from the early 2000s.

How does that Champion Destroyer fly? I find the lower domed ones to be less power needing to get the flight you want unlike most Star Destroyers where you want the normal dome as the Star plastic takes a fair bit less power to get going then Champion.

It's the Destroyer I used in this video, pretty steady, not crazy beefy but not bad.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpKkjkrKA8

It's the Destroyer I used in this video, pretty steady, not crazy beefy but not bad.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpKkjkrKA8

I know my 170 gram is OS but has good glide. The 167 gram has the mini S curve the flight shot is showing on the Innova disc chart and has average glide on a Destroyer when I do not nose the disc in the ground, I have that problem when driving from the beginning of throwing too low across the body. A major reason I like the Valkyrie is the mold flies well when thrown a tad low.

It is not that big an issue though the Star Shark discs I got online as backups for are very finicky, reason those were stopped in production right before the flight number addition is that the Star Shark plastic would not mold up well for the disc. One of the 3 backups I have is a dark red that is supposed to be a cherry red and was over cooked by Innova to the point the disc is almost G-Star just missing the extra grip G-Star has and I wrote Almost G- before the Star on the stamp to remind me that disc for when I put it in my bag eventually to replace my Pro Shark wen it gets too US to use, currently the disc is worn in to straight. The one that I got originally I could not throw until I had used the disc for wind putting due o how much flashing was on the disc, about 1/2 inch of flashing on the rim.
oh and somehow my Star Valkyrie has gotten more and more OS over the years as it went from low dome to flat top.

I bought 2 Star Caimans late 2019 and one was typical star and the other has got these bubbles in the rim. The normal one does fly much better for me then the one with bubbles, but we all know different discs of the same mold can have different flights.

What bothers me more about these bubbles in the rim is the speed at which the rim starts to show damage and break down. Its almost like the plastic is fraying like string idk how to explain it but its rough and does not feel good to grip and i do think it will beat in to fast.

This concerns me very much because online retailers have gone to great strides to provide good information on the individual discs we want to purchase but this does not seem to be a detail that they are taking into consideration yet and i have been discouraged from buying innova discs online.

This concerns me very much because online retailers have gone to great strides to provide good information on the individual discs we want to purchase but this does not seem to be a detail that they are taking into consideration yet and i have been discouraged from buying innova discs online.

3 courses of action are open to you; they apply to all manufacturers. Innova just gets all the hate online but all of the big 3 have issues with quality control.

1) contact Innova directly. The factory store will answer the phone and/or email. If a disc is truly "defective" they will take care of you.

2) contact the retailer. They likely want your repeat business and have their own mechanisms for dealing with defective discs they receive. I've never had a "bad" disc arrive from Infinite for example but I suspect they would send me a replacement if I ever complained without question.

3) decide you don't like the hassle of buying something sight unseen and shop in person. Your local DG shop will definitely appreciate your business! If this isn't possible due to distance I emphasize with you, I love taking a trip to the local shop even though I buy mostly online.

I bought 2 Star Caimans late 2019 and one was typical star and the other has got these bubbles in the rim. The normal one does fly much better for me then the one with bubbles, but we all know different discs of the same mold can have different flights.

What bothers me more about these bubbles in the rim is the speed at which the rim starts to show damage and break down. Its almost like the plastic is fraying like string idk how to explain it but its rough and does not feel good to grip and i do think it will beat in to fast.

These are all valid concerns. I agree that discs with air bubbles in the rim seem to wear out faster. They simply seem like a shoddy product. Innova is the only company selling such discs. I feel like any other company wouldn't let discs like that enter the market.

These are all valid concerns. I agree that discs with air bubbles in the rim seem to wear out faster. They simply seem like a shoddy product. Innova is the only company selling such discs. I feel like any other company wouldn't let discs like that enter the market.

That simply isn't true. Many discs will have air bubbles in the rim and you won't seem them because the plastic isn't clear enough for you to see it.

Injection molding with polymers will lead to air being introduced to the interior of the substrate.

That simply isn't true. Many discs will have air bubbles in the rim and you won't seem them because the plastic isn't clear enough for you to see it.

Injection molding with polymers will lead to air being introduced to the interior of the substrate.

OK, I'll rephrase that a bit. Innova is currently the only company selling discs that have surface bubbles. Those produce that rough, worn texture on star and champion plastic.

OK, I'll rephrase that a bit. Innova is currently the only company selling discs that have surface bubbles. Those produce that rough, worn texture on star and champion plastic.

That may be true, I haven't bought a non-innova made product in the last 3 years so I wouldn't be able to provide any first hand experience on that note.

Also the post title? of my last post was somehow a :mad: face. I didn't even know there was such a thing as post titles. I post on my phone, maybe I accidentally added something somehow. Weird.

I have seen this a lot in gstar lately. After throwing my friends flippier star destroyer, I bought a few 165-170g gstar Destroyers hoping they would be somewhat close to a seasoned SDS. One is stock stamp and two are sockibot stamps. The sockibot ones have the blizzard rims a little bit but the stock stamp has it bad. After a few rounds with teh stock stamp, it is taking the place of the star mamba that I have been trying to get to be my hyzer flip to turnover disc. Ive played a lot more with the mamba but that gstar blizzard destroyer is already way flippier. Honestly, I am happy that it got be a disc I wanted for some silly shots but I feel like a few more rounds and it might be hyzer flip to roller which is a little crazy for a destroyer. It does seem like a QC issue to me or an issue with the plastics they are getting now.

Last edited:
I have seen this a lot in gstar lately. After throwing my friends flippier star destroyer, I bought a few 165-170g gstar Destroyers hoping they would be somewhat close to a seasoned SDS. One is stock stamp and two are sockibot stamps. The sockibot ones have the blizzard rims a little bit but the stock stamp has it bad. After a few rounds with teh stock stamp, it is taking the place of the star mamba that I have been trying to get to be my hyzer flip to turnover disc. Ive played a lot more with the mamba but that gstar blizzard destroyer is already way flippier. Honestly, I am happy that it got be a disc I wanted for some silly shots but I feel like a few more rounds and it might be hyzer flip to roller which is a little crazy for a destroyer. It does seem like a QC issue to me or an issue with the plastics they are getting now.

Yeah with the Ricky Signature on the model, those are the most beefy ever basically like a beefy Champion Destroyer or an Xcalibur disc. The max weight in that Ricky Signature on the model discs had to be recalled for being over the limit for weight to the size of the disc. Then the Champion in some runs since mid 2010's are big bubbles in the rim yet not so big they mess with the feel of the rim are enough OS the mold is an Xcaliber in flight. So yeah Quality Control at Innova is not consistent with the discs.

I have a couple Blizzard Bosses I bought quite a few years ago from DGC that have the bubbles in the flight plate. My cousin has newer Bosses with bubbles in the rim and its quite a bit more overstable. Didn't care much for the newer discs, but I sure like my older Bosses. I just cant replace them:\

i have a few of these new blizz bosses..
the light ones have been very overstable..like the most os i own....but i got one with a straighter wing and lower plh and it was gold.....then i left it in a field. when practicing.... doh.