• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alas poor MacBeth, we hardly knew ye

I don't think that Paul is as good as he is because of skill. His mental game is the strongest on tour. There are a few people who are close to as strong, but they aren't as good at throwing the disc. The fact that he's in the top 2-3 throwers plus the fact that he has the strongest mental game makes it hard for him to be beat. That's also what made Climo so good.

That's rare. I don't know how long it takes for that combination to come around again, but it's amazing that we've had two of those people in the last 30 years.

I don't know, there are some very quality young players out there. Read of Gannon Buhr who is only 14 years old and a 1000 rated player. I enjoy watching those young kids develop. True, pre-20015 not many dreamed of being pro disc golfers because it was not financially plausible. These days more. The recent Worlds has 1.2 million views on Jomez Pro and they have 150K subscribers - was only 100K not long ago. The sport is definitely growing. PMcB is a major reason for this.

That's kind of my point. There are multiple of those strong young players out there who are up and comers. Is any one of them going to be that much better than all the others. Maybe, but I'm thinking the chances are better that we're going to enter an era where there is a lot more diversity among the top finishers at big tournaments.

Woah. Something rattled the beast. Paige Pierce is 4 up on him.

Could this be a ploy to get more PPV purchases?

you certainly seem to be ****ting on McBeth in every thread possible.

Dude has one blow up round and some people act like he should have died or something. Could it be that maybe he's got an injury? 15 strokes back? Wouldn't count him out if he's 100% healthy...

Plus as good as he is he's still human and can have a garbage round a few times a season. He threw a worse rated round than this last year.

you certainly seem to be ****ting on McBeth in every thread possible.

Dude has one blow up round and some people act like he should have died or something. Could it be that maybe he's got an injury? 15 strokes back? Wouldn't count him out if he's 100% healthy...

Relax fanboi, I only said something rattled him. And that a girl beat him ONE round. If that's shatting on him you are WAY TOO SENSITIVE

Last edited:
Relax fanboi, I only said something rattled him. And that a girl beat him ONE round. If that's shatting on him you are WAY TOO SENSITIVE

I'm far from a McBeth fanboy. Never have been.

You posted in like 5 different threads snide little remarks about him. That's going out of your way to just say 'something rattled him'. He's human, if something got to him - even just 1 round out of an entire season - it's not something to try and pile on the guy for. Everyone else on tour has blow up rounds, and no one makes a big deal out of those.

Also, I've been beaten by women quite a few times on the course, and it's not even a big deal.

I'm far from a McBeth fanboy. Never have been.

You posted in like 5 different threads snide little remarks about him. That's going out of your way to just say 'something rattled him'. He's human, if something got to him - even just 1 round out of an entire season - it's not something to try and pile on the guy for. Everyone else on tour has blow up rounds, and no one makes a big deal out of those.

Also, I've been beaten by women quite a few times on the course, and it's not even a big deal.

2 different threads, but thanks for exaggerating. And the 2nd thread was a comment about a different golfer.

To get all defensive about my "snide comments" about Paul IS kinda fanboi-ish. Or it's some need to respond to everything even remotely negative on the internet aimed at Paul in a defensive manner.

My opinion is not hate. It's just an opinion.

I followed lead card at the CCR Open this summer (in the Jomez footage I'm the bearded guy with the white shirt and yellow hat) where it was also stupidly hot and humid and McBeth was off his game somewhat. I wonder if the heat and humidity affects him more than it does others?

I'll never ever forget when he missed a 20-footer badly, like hitting the pole a few inches off the ground, and when the players started moving on to the next tee, Brian Earhart turned to us in the gallery and made a face as if to say, "Yikes!" He then went on to say in the commentary how that putt made his jaw drop.

I mean...McBeth still deuced a 650' hole that I later played from the short tee and took a five...

I followed lead card at the CCR Open this summer (in the Jomez footage I'm the bearded guy with the white shirt and yellow hat) where it was also stupidly hot and humid and McBeth was off his game somewhat. I wonder if the heat and humidity affects him more than it does others?

The heat doesn't explain his fourth round, although the course average was almost six over par that day. And if his middle 2 rounds were as bad as his first and last round I would make an argument that he has a case of the yips.

Here's one definition of the yips: "The yips is the loss of fine motor skills in athletes. The condition occurs suddenly and without apparent explanation, usually in mature athletes with years of experience. It is poorly understood and has no known treatment or therapy." Look up Rick Ankiel and Chuck Knoblauch for baseball players that got the yips.

It will be very interesting to see how his next few rounds are. I'm still blown away by how far off his performance was for the whole tournament. Playing at such an insanely high level as he does requires significant confidence so I'm very curious to see how this affects him. One bad round here and there is normal. Four in a row (compared to how he has performed historically) is another story for him and should lead to a lot of eyes on him for his next round (even more than normal).

I Think Paul have one thing in mind. . to win.

when he realized he could no longer win he just played throw. . what would be his motivation to fight back to a top 20 spot?

I Think Paul have one thing in mind. . to win.

when he realized he could no longer win he just played throw. . what would be his motivation to fight back to a top 20 spot?

Someone on r/discgolf that was there said that he was basically pulling a Simon that final round and was letting the crowd egg him into big throws but that he was smiling and having a good time.

I wonder if Paul is just over the season. Hannah tweeted out a quote from Paul that said "You know what would be nice right now? Is if the season was over"

Someone on r/discgolf that was there said that he was basically pulling a Simon that final round and was letting the crowd egg him into big throws but that he was smiling and having a good time.

I wonder if Paul is just over the season. Hannah tweeted out a quote from Paul that said "You know what would be nice right now? Is if the season was over"

I figured that was what happened the final round. The first 2 or 3 rounds could've been heat, with the last obviously being a go big or go home type of round. Odd for the heat to affect someone from Cali, but I guess it could happen.

I shot an absolutely horrible tournament earlier this year that was held on a windless and cloudless 95 degree day at Fox Run and Brewster Ridge. It was absolutely horrible. I was +28 for the tournament.

Here's one definition of the yips: "The yips is the loss of fine motor skills in athletes. The condition occurs suddenly and without apparent explanation, usually in mature athletes with years of experience. It is poorly understood and has no known treatment or therapy." Look up Rick Ankiel and Chuck Knoblauch for baseball players that got the yips.

So many things can affect fine motor skills. Blood electrolyte levels, inter cellular sodium/calcium levels, neulogical inflammation, psychological stress.... and so on. I think that is why they are so hard to diagnose; there are probably several different issues affecting a player all at once.

So many things can affect fine motor skills. Blood electrolyte levels, inter cellular sodium/calcium levels, neulogical inflammation, psychological stress.... and so on. I think that is why they are so hard to diagnose; there are probably several different issues affecting a player all at once.

Oh, absolutely. I think my point though, better summed up now, was that I was surprised that we didn't get at least one typical McBeth round over four rounds of disc golf. Statistically that seems exceptionally rare for him especially on a course that he's played so well on in the past despite the changes to the course here and there. I couldn't' understand it is all. It didn't make sense. I admit to being a McBeth fanboy so I can't wait to see him play the dominant rounds we've been seeing for the last few years.