• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All the same...why?

Bogey Member
I have tried all kinds of discs drivers,midrange,putters,overstable,understable
DX,champion and I throw them all the same. I took 4 discs out yesterday
Aviar,Buzzz,Leopard,TeeBird and threw at 1 hole each time they all landed within 4 or 5 feet of each other with the putter going the farthest on many occasions. I throw RHBH. Is there something I'm doing wrong for all the discs to go the same?

At least you're consistent. :p

About how far do they go? What do the flight paths look like, do they all fly the same, or do they drop off short and left?

It seems like you have not yet developed the arm speed to "unlock" the potential of those faster discs. However, on the bright side it suggests your form is good if you are able to throw your putter as far as a more forgiving disc like the Teebird or Leopard.

I have pretty much the same problem. I can get my drivers out a little farther than my mid range and putters, but not by a whole lot. (And I throw RHBH also.) I top out around 270 ft with a S curve. I throw a viking and Valkyrie. I don't think Ive got the arm for em though.

I had similar issues early on. What fixed it was getting out to the practice field and working on form and technique. Emptying the bag 5 or 6 times, finding a solid release point with snap, and building up arm strength and muscle memory.

Now my putter drives can't touch my throws with long distance drivers.

I'm just going to guess that you are throwing hyzers (maybe unintentially) because that's what I was doing for my first year or so, before I started taking the sport seriously. What I started to work on, and am still working on, is building arm speed. Once you get your arm speed up, your drives will get a lot farther.
I was stuck around 270' for a long time throwing a Valkyrie but now I'm throwing ~340' with a Surge and still increasing that distance.

I'm not sure how far you're throwing now, but I hope this helps.

You say you threw them all within 4-5' of the basket... Well are you aiming for the basket or are you ripping these?

Go get some field practice in and then come back and tell us.

It seems like you have not yet developed the arm speed to "unlock" the potential of those faster discs. However, on the bright side it suggests your form is good if you are able to throw your putter as far as a more forgiving disc like the Teebird or Leopard.

That's what I was thinking. I guess I just need to get out and throw more.
I was seeing a big difference from when I first started about 2 months ago but don't seem to be getting any better now.

You say you threw them all within 4-5' of the basket... Well are you aiming for the basket or are you ripping these?

I was aiming at the basket but throwing as hard as I could.

No, he said they were within 4 or 5 feet of EACH OTHER... Not the basket...

No, he said they were within 4 or 5 feet of EACH OTHER... Not the basket...

Important point to note!

Anyone throwing 230' and consistently landing 4'-5' from the basket is one helluva DG'er!:rolleyes:

Sounds like you need more wrist snap and a different grip. Check your power grip, fan grip, etc. and see if you are using them appropriately.

Sounds like you need more wrist snap and a different grip. Check your power grip, fan grip, etc. and see if you are using them appropriately.

Yes, this is most likely the problem. I was about the same when I first started and then I began really nit picking my form. When I truly snap a disc the difference in distance is amazing. I can get a putter out about 250' and be fairly accurate. I can get my driver out near 400' but that is not to say that occasionally I throw my driver 250'.

The reason they're all going the same distance is you aren't getting enough nose down on your mids and drivers. Making sure you have proper grip and wrist orientation throughout the throw, that you're getting your weight over your plant foot and that you're pulling close to the chest will help.

The reason they're all going the same distance is you aren't getting enough nose down on your mids and drivers. Making sure you have proper grip and wrist orientation throughout the throw, that you're getting your weight over your plant foot and that you're pulling close to the chest will help.

Thanks for the pointers. Threw it around 315 a couple times today. Downhill, but a good improvement for me. I know there is a lot of room for improvement, my approach is far from fluid. I really had to slow everything down to make sure I had my weight forward before pull through. Also changed my grip. I used to have my fingers a little curled under the rim of the disc. So the disc rested just under my thumb. I straightened them out a little so the edge of the disc rest more in the palm area. Seems like I helped a lot with grip lock.

Latest posts