• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alternative to chains???

im still wondering why a straight up pole isnt better to practice on. it would teach deadly accuracy.

im still wondering why a straight up pole isnt better to practice on. it would teach deadly accuracy.

I don't like them because you can always have issues with telling if you actually hit it. Sometimes a disc could just nick the side or top and you can't tell. Of course, this isn't that important for practice. It just bugs me for some reason. I like the idea of it clearly being in the basket or not.

As far as chains alternatives, I'm thinking about hanging pvc pipes in place. Think a wind chime with a basket below. This is just an idea I want to try simply because of cost issues with buying chains for 9+ baskets. I have no idea how well it will catch yet tho.

The chains don't actually make much noise. The chains hitting the pole makes the pole ring. Get some thick handlebar tape from a bike shop and wrap the pole.

The chains don't actually make much noise. The chains hitting the pole makes the pole ring. Get some thick handlebar tape from a bike shop and wrap the pole.

Or wrap a pool noodle or some foam pipe insulation around the pole, same idea.

Has anyone tried to use chains coated with rubber? The would probably be stickier but at least it should be quiter.

one of the local courses i play has a cage where they used "dip it" on all of the chains. It makes the chains slick as butter and disc's slide right through them..

As far as chains alternatives, I'm thinking about hanging pvc pipes in place. Think a wind chime with a basket below. This is just an idea I want to try simply because of cost issues with buying chains for 9+ baskets. I have no idea how well it will catch yet tho.

My very first practice basket was made with this concept for basement practice (with 1"x2" strips of foam instead of PVC). I did this based on someone's post in one of the old buried homemade basket threads and because I had everything on hand.

My problem with it is that it just catches "different" and I don't know of a way to fix it. If the pvc aren't long enough to touch the basket you will have a lot of cut throughs as it pushes them out of the way. If they are long enough - you will have absolutely 0 cut throughs as the disc pushes them back, they hit the back rim - and the disc slides down that angle into the basket.

The target area is also different. since the pvc hang straight down the bottom corners are very much at play where with chains these would be only hit if you got a lucky bounce off the rim. Also - soft putts are better coming in low as a high dead center soft putt will get rejected back as it takes more energy to move the pvc at the top (due to leverage).

So with all of this said - they will catch reasonably well...just beware that they catch very differently than a traditional basket and may promote bad habits of aiming for it's different target areas. I totally understand the cost though of chains. I would highly recommend if you are building 9 you take a look at my rope/hose post on the prior page. You can do the "chains" for ~25 / basket and maybe cheaper if you have some old dead hoses around - or shop in bulk. I am very glad I went this route for my 2 outdoor practice baskets. They catch very well, very realistically, and were much cheaper than chains.

I practiced on one before my last tournament because the local course is using my practice basket for a temp on one of the holes. Deadly accuracy indeed. I missed only one putt inside thirty feet during the tournament. I was using a target spot about the twice the size of a quarter for practice. I just mentally counted all the pole hits that missed the spot as misses. I focused on single chain links in the tournament many of my "misses" were good enough.

My very first practice basket was made with this concept for basement practice (with 1"x2" strips of foam instead of PVC). I did this based on someone's post in one of the old buried homemade basket threads and because I had everything on hand.

My problem with it is that it just catches "different" and I don't know of a way to fix it. If the pvc aren't long enough to touch the basket you will have a lot of cut throughs as it pushes them out of the way. If they are long enough - you will have absolutely 0 cut throughs as the disc pushes them back, they hit the back rim - and the disc slides down that angle into the basket.

The target area is also different. since the pvc hang straight down the bottom corners are very much at play where with chains these would be only hit if you got a lucky bounce off the rim. Also - soft putts are better coming in low as a high dead center soft putt will get rejected back as it takes more energy to move the pvc at the top (due to leverage).

So with all of this said - they will catch reasonably well...just beware that they catch very differently than a traditional basket and may promote bad habits of aiming for it's different target areas. I totally understand the cost though of chains. I would highly recommend if you are building 9 you take a look at my rope/hose post on the prior page. You can do the "chains" for ~25 / basket and maybe cheaper if you have some old dead hoses around - or shop in bulk. I am very glad I went this route for my 2 outdoor practice baskets. They catch very well, very realistically, and were much cheaper than chains.

Thanks for the info. Some really good points, some of which I really hadn't thought about. I've also been thinking about what size PVC pipe would work best. That obviously would affect some of the issues you brought up also.

I'll definitely consider the rope and hose method.

Latest posts