• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I'm not remotely tempted as an advanced level local. Because there is zero guaranteed payout. They haven't even convinced me that they are actually going to HAVE an event, let alone that they will actually pay anything out even if the event runs as promised. I don't care how soft the field would be, I would never play it because these jokers aren't going to convince me that they won't take the entry fees and run.

Not the reason why I would consider it, but it is to each his/her own. We have reasons why we sign up for tournaments; we all have expectations of tournaments that need to be met in order to have a good time.

Maybe I am alone in that if it were local that I would CONSIDER it for the sake of doing it. Yeah, I have a materialistic side to me that would like either a sweet player's pack and or a payout to match my investment. I would definitely like one if the risk is great in regards to the reward of a positive experience, but at the end of the day I would remember the experience a lot longer than the little cash I would walk away with.

I think the event will be close to filling by a bunch of inexperienced pros and then a few of the bigger pros will sign for a chance at some easy money. lol..

How do we even know who are hacks and who are pro's if there are no ratings for any ADGT events yet? There's no system that could possibly tell us how good somebody is from an established organization that could help us out...

I understand and agree with your point.

I was looking at it from our side of the fence though.

I think the event will be close to filling by a bunch of inexperienced pros and then a few of the bigger pros will sign for a chance at some easy money. lol..

With a few of them having some (major?) level of input on the course design.

"Yeah we're going to have a 400' water carry here with no bailout area, it will be exciting for the cameras."

I agree. The elite pros aren't in it *only* for the money, but they make their living (mostly) from tournament prize money.

Maybe I am alone in that if it were local that I would CONSIDER it for the sake of doing it. Yeah, I have a materialistic side to me that would like either a sweet player's pack and or a payout to match my investment. I would definitely like one if the risk is great in regards to the reward of a positive experience, but at the end of the day I would remember the experience a lot longer than the little cash I would walk away with.

You're not alone, almost exactly what I was thinking.

They haven't yet said what the maximum number of players will be for this event, which we can add to the list of unknowns, so who can say what "filled" is? The only way this thing comes close to "filling" is if they announce their max capacity is whatever attendance is plus two or something (e.g. 25 people sign up, then capacity is 27).

They haven't yet said what the maximum number of players will be for this event, which we can add to the list of unknowns, so who can say what "filled" is? The only way this thing comes close to "filling" is if they announce their max capacity is whatever attendance is plus two or something (e.g. 25 people sign up, then capacity is 27).

Good point, though if only 25 sign up, I would expect finances would compel them to pull the plug.

Your point brings up question #631---How many tournaments don't post a maximum? If this were a hot ticket and, when you signed up, you were told it was full, with no prior indication of what constitutes "full", how would you feel about that?

re: Local Players

One attraction for local players is to play a great course on a great property. Well, "great course" has yet to be seen, but by all accounts it's a great property with the potential for a great course. Or, at least, a cool course.

Not $375 worth, or even $300 worth, but that would be one of the attractions, on top of being an internet star on ESPN3.

re: Local Players

One attraction for local players is to play a great course on a great property. Well, "great course" has yet to be seen, but by all accounts it's a great property with the potential for a great course. Or, at least, a cool course.

Not $375 worth, or even $300 worth, but that would be one of the attractions, on top of being an internet star on ESPN3.

I am a terrible MM1 player and could care less about being an internet star but will play it if I have nothing else going on that weekend because the property is phenominal with lots of elevation and I think the world of Steve and anyone else that has the guts to do this with little to no support from the local and national players. Also, >90% of Americans know nothing about the sport or who McBeth and other pros are so it does not really matter if the top pros show up as many first time viewers will have nothing to gauge the sport against. Many of you do not realize that possibly some of the players who will be on the four letter network will be Advanved Ams from Charlotte, NC, GA and SC. I have played tournaments around the country and many of the Ams in NC, SC and GA would be considered pros in other parts of the U.S.

I am a terrible MM1 player and could care less about being an internet star but will play it if I have nothing else going on that weekend because the property is phenominal with lots of elevation and I think the world of Steve and anyone else that has the guts to do this with little to no support from the local and national players. Also, >90% of Americans know nothing about the sport or who McBeth and other pros are so it does not really matter if the top pros show up as many first time viewers will have nothing to gauge the sport against. Many of you do not realize that possibly some of the players who will be on the four letter network will be Advanved Ams from Charlotte, NC, GA and SC. I have played tournaments around the country and many of the Ams in NC, SC and GA would be considered pros in other parts of the U.S.

To the bolded, what first time viewers? ESPN3 isn't something someone is going to stumble upon while searching for something to watch. Like with a typical DiscGolfPlanet or Smashboxx broadcast, the only people who are going to be watching a disc golf tournament on ESPN3 are disc golfers who seek the broadcast out.

People really need to get over the delusion that ESPN3 is going to give the sport unprecedented exposure. The only step up from what we already have in our game, if it really even is a step up, is the branding of the platform.

To the bolded, what first time viewers? ESPN3 isn't something someone is going to stumble upon while searching for something to watch. Like with a typical DiscGolfPlanet or Smashboxx broadcast, the only people who are going to be watching a disc golf tournament on ESPN3 are disc golfers who seek the broadcast out.

People really need to get over the delusion that ESPN3 is going to give the sport unprecedented exposure. The only step up from what we already have in our game, if it really even is a step up, is the branding of the platform.

This.

Now if it were ESPN2, we would be talking.

I agree completely, but that seems to be the overall theme of this whole enterprise, which is one of the major reasons it's so misguided.

To the previous post, that's fine if it's a regional Am1 event; no one is sleeping on the region's level of talent. (There's a current thread attesting to that.) But the question remains, why isn't this then just scheduled an above average B tier or A tier or X tier, instead of circumventing the PDGA? What research or statistics do the organizers have that say ESPN3 streaming will have an appreciable affect on 'growing the sport'? And what and where are the other events in this tour?

This is an ego trip dreamed up by some people who lack the necessary experience and perhaps are less than enthralled with dealing with the PDGA. This event will hopefully happen and hopefully be enjoyable to those who play in it, but as far as growing the sport it is a sparrow fart in the wind.

FYI - Their stated reason for not going through the PDGA is "our competitors are there."

This is a stepping stone and how do you know what plans have been discussed for the future? I have suggested print media for several years now due to the following. Until last June, I was on an airplane at least 3-4 times per week for the past four years. Each time I got on a plane, I noticed many people immediately put on their headphones and look at their phone or ipad. After twenty minutes of sitting at the gate and then on to the runway, many of these people look through the airline magazine. Airline magazines are a great way to expose the sport to decisionmakers who travel but there is no discussion on doing this to promote the sport. Until the people that lack social skills, business skills, contacts and capitol start listening to people that can make things happen or have the guts to try, the sport will continue not to be considered by business and marketing professionals. I get the impression Adam Zucker tried to help grow the sport through media years back but I have never heard anyone mention how he could help now although he has the contacts and knowledge of the sport. Hopefully he is aware of what the ADGT is doing and not how much hate they are receiving from this thread.

And..in the end

"Anybody want a drink outta this garden hose while it's still turned on?"

:clap::clap: just spit coffee on my keyboard, while coworkers heads pop up over cubicle walls.

"hurry up y'all, the parks & rec guy is on his way right now."

Considering the possibility of a large number of lower skilled players on a great course with a few top-tier players, this is sounding like an adult fantasy camp -- which is a pretty big industry.

This x1000. ESPN3 doesn't mean **** for disc golf. NO ONE who doesn't already watch disc golf is going to watch. If the intention is to bring disc golf to the attention of ESPN executives and programmers, it would be a much better idea to have them watch the current broadcasts and videos of majors, not this off-brand crap.

I'm fairly certain at least 50% of the people who hear about the ADGT and think it's going to be a huge leap for disc golf and disc golf broadcasts believe that ESPN3 is a television outlet and that they will be watching this just like any sport broadcast on cable television.

Last edited:

Latest posts