• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An Ah Ha moment because of an injury?

Rescue

Eagle Member
This happend to me the other day. So I was wondering if this might have also happend to any one else?
So after playing for several years I was resigned to the fact that I was in the noddle arm group (still am). I've tried everything over the years, but my distance pretty much stayed in the 300 to 340ish range. However, after a few weeks of disc golf bliss (trips to Washington and Oregon). I developed a blood blister on my pointer finger near the end of mydisc golf trip. Granted, not a huge or major injury, but as you know. It hurt like hell when the disc would leave my fingers. So later on in the day I began to loosen my grip pressure in response to the pain that was about to come. So after some warm up thows I began to notice I was picking up some extra "D". After heading to a football field to check my "D". I was suprised to see an extra 20 to 30 feet. I went back the next day to see if I could repeat this and sure enough. I had the same results again!! "All I need is just a few extra feet to my game" I have said this for years! and all it took was a smal injury to let me know I had to much grip pressure upon release!!! Go figure!!!
So I became curious? Has this happend to any of you fellow disc golfers?

Thanks and Peace!

I love this! Injuries can be good coaches sometimes. I actually had the same thing happen to me recently. I dislocated my shoulder a couple years ago while snowboarding, and ever since then have had problems with it. I had noticed that when I am playing and hit the 1 hour mark, my shoulder was causing me a lot of pain. It was really holding me back from getting better. I decided to try some different things to try and relieve the pressure and sure enough, I found out what it was. I had almost no follow through. Ever since I have been completing a nice long follow through, my accuracy and distance have improved tremendously. And the best part, my shoulder doesn't hurt at all!

To the OP, I have been struggling with your same problem all spring. Blister on the tip of my pointer finger, sounds like I should try out your solution. The thing is I switched my grip from 4 to 3 fingers and since Ive done that I have gotten 30-50 more feet in distance (along with better form and more practice). When I go for max D I try to get as much snap as I can, and I know thats the reason for my blister.

A couple of years ago, I injured my left, non throwing shoulder. The pain made me keep my left arm close to my body while throwing. The increase in distance was about 50 feet! No more wild arms flailing around for me...

I hadn't thrown with one of our local guys for 6 months or so and when I threw with him he was flinging it 50' past where he used to throw. I asked him what he did to improve and he said "I blew out my Achilles tendon and had to completely change my throw". I keep hoping to blow mine out but no luck so far. Fingers crossed!

I blew out my knee last year. I had to stand still to throw for a while. I quit strong arming my disc and gained about 30 feet. My distance has increased from about 270 to about 330 since hurting myself. I wasn't worth it. Worst pain I've ever experienced!

Every injury I have had caused some sort of breakthrough...swollen knuckles made me stop gripping so hard until the hit. Messed up shoulder made me use the rest of my body more because I was afraid to mess it up further. This knee thing I have right now though...nothing I can do haha because I can't play. Not a disc golf injury though...