• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An environmental teepad?

Silboh

Bogey Member
Hey!

I'm in charge of a course in a public park. I'm thinking to implemente teepads. But I would like to put teepads as ecological as possible.
Of course, no teepad is the most environmental friendly idea but it's not as good as concrete pads!

What do you think would be a good mixture of environmental/good teepads?

Serious questions:

How detrimental to the environment are concrete tees?

Do they leach chemicals into the grass or otherwise harm the environment?

Is a "natural" tee that becomes a rutted out and eventually that serves as water bowl really more beneficial?

When properly installed concrete requires virtually no maintenance cost for decades.

If the course is ever redesigned, old concrete tees can be broken up and used as flagstone to combat erosion or even as benches near other holes.... that's what they did at Earl Brewer near Grand Rapids.

I agree but maybe there is a better way nowadays that I don't know !

From the reuse, reduce, recycle order of operation:
Reusing old concrete cut to tee size slabs. Pubic and private entities always ripping out good concrete somewhere. A number of reuse success stories DGCR.
Reduced size new concrete pads. Long and wide pads are nice. IMHO if there if the back of the tee somewhat flush and enough room for the last 2 steps on the pad that is just fine. Talk to local concrete sources, quite likely their concrete mix contains recycled concrete.
Recycled rubber mats. They are fine in 'most' weather and seasons if the ground preparation is firm, flat and drains water. Ideally made as local as possible.

Last edited:
Anything durable is going to be a challenge. Other than slabs of granite, it's not in nature's nature to be durable; things decay. Durability comes with an ecological cost.

Consider getting movable concrete tee pads made and delivered to the course instead of pouring the pads in place. If the course needs to be moved, just move the tee pads with the rest of the equipment.

What do you think would be a good mixture of environmental/good teepads?

Environmentally friendly? I don't think there really is such a thing....every type of teepad has something about it that isn't friendly for the environment - including no teepads. The big issue with teepads is that "everyone throws from that spot". Elsewhere on the course you see less wear and tear due to the planting/twisting of the foot because discs don't land in the same spot for every player. ((Disclaimer: there are spots where discs commonly land -C1 for example - that can cause lots of wear/damage on the ground)).

No teepads: the ground really gets 'chewed' up by the run-ups and planting/twisting of the feet. Then it becomes "nasty" looking.

Concrete teepads: last longer. If you put grooves into the concrete, it provides better footing. Eventually wears down. Hard to replace. This is the easiest overall (for consistency between teepads), which is why it is used a lot - concrete can be formed in whatever pattern/shape you want the teepad to be, round, square, hexagonal; it can be easily leveled, it can be patterned to give good footing/traction. Good and bad...it is near impossible to move - it won't move while you are doing a run up, but if you need to move the teepad elsewhere...forget about it.

Pavers/bricks: last longer, easier to replace/move. Can shift out of place.

"Astroturf"/rubber pad: wear out quickly, can bunch up causing footing issues, also can get bumps and divots from run ups and where players commonly plant their feet. Easiest to move/replace.

Personally, I think pavers/bricks are the best looking....but more difficult to create. To keep them from shifting, create a wood frame and put the pavers/bricks inside that. You also have to put in extra work to make and keep them level.

If you think you will have to move them alot....go with "Astroturf" or rubber. Test them to see which will hold up better in your area and cause less slips.

how much foot traffic is the course going to get

no teepads can work on a low volume course

also you could switch the teepad area every few months or every year to prevent those famous natural footplant divots

Thanx for all you answers.
Right now it is a low volume course so I'll stick with the natural teepads. I'll need to level up most of them tough.
In the future I think you are right, concrete is the easiest way to go.

Has anyone tried or seen that recycled crushed asphalt as a tee surface? I've seen it on a driveway, and it packs down and basically turns into blacktop once trampled. I always thought it'd be easier to get to remote corners of a course than getting concrete there.

Has anyone tried or seen that recycled crushed asphalt as a tee surface? I've seen it on a driveway, and it packs down and basically turns into blacktop once trampled. I always thought it'd be easier to get to remote corners of a course than getting concrete there.

Seems like it'd be a good deal worse than concrete but a little better than gravel

Isn't that what they used around the eroding tee-pad areas @ Wilderness?

Concrete tee pads are the best IMO.

I do like the idea of recycled concrete pads. People cutout large chunks of concrete all the time that would be suitable as a tee pad. Just have to get it level and stable and you are good to go.

Latest posts