• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Animal

Picked one of these up several weeks ago hoping it might be a straight flying counterpart to my Pigs.

Literally only threw it twice in my backyard where I'm limited to about a hundred feet. The first throw landed in my landscaping rocks and put two fairly significant gouges in the nexus plastic. While a bit of wear and tear on a disc generally doesn't bother me, I can't see this disc holding up for any reasonable amount of time.

Decided to keep using the beat Envy for my straight approaches.

If anyone wants to convince me to try this thing out on the course feel free to sell me on it.

Nexus plastic?

fo5sLG1.gif

(Streets I know you love this gif I showed you in VIP...you're welcome lol)

So has anyone thrown one of these? What's it like? Looks like the invader bottom and rhino top. While it does gouge I really like the nexus plastic.

So what is Nexus plastic like, I've never felt or seen one in person. You say it gouges?

The first throw landed in my landscaping rocks and put two fairly significant gouges in the nexus plastic.

If I had to describe the plastic I would say sort of like XT but probably less durable. I can see it being fine for a disc that will just be used to putt but I just can't see it holding up as an approach disc.

I would probably give the Animal another try when or if it comes out in a more durable plastic.

I should qualify when I say it gouges. Nexus is more durable as KC Pro in my experience. All but the hardest plastics will gouge hitting rocks. With that said I've spanked some trees with my Aviar Driver and it still looks and feels great. My putter has a gouge on it from hitting the band from distance.
Nexus does warp kind of like R-pro but it's not a bid deal to me. It forms flatter with a very slight puddle top. Animal is intriguing because it looks like the rhino top and I bet it will great in the hand.

I putt and approach with a Firefly. I haven't nailed any trees from close range thankfully, but I've used the same approach disc all summer and it's in pretty good condition considering how often I throw it. Minor dings from rocks and stuff, but I think it holds up better than DX. Probably about the same as XT.

Ok I got a couple Animals from the factory store. I've played with them a bit and I have to say I like this mold. Honestly it does what I hoped the Invader would do. It goes straight, is torque resistant, but has little fade. It's a perfect approach disc imo because it is easy to control and wants to land flat with little to no skip or slide. The Invader doesn't do anything that the Aviar3 doesn't do imo and it has more glide and fade than I want.

My experience with the Animal is limited but I parked a couple 250' holes my first two throws with it via backhand. Both dead straight shots. My forehand is at best serviceable (300-315' on a good day) and I felt pretty comfortable on short flick approaches up to 125'. Gave it a hyzer release, it popped up to flat and went straight with a tough of turn, and then landed close to flat after little fade.

I haven't really tried working angles with it apart from a couple shorter approach shots. Of note was one throw I released on anny over a tall bush from about 125'. I gave it too much anny, and I thought I had turned it over, but at it's apex it just stalled and dropped out of the sky like a shot bird about 15' from the bucket.

Innova seems to really be pushing the Invader as the next 'it' disc but I think the Animal could actually be that disc if they got behind it.

I've been using the animal for about a year. It is by far the best approach disc or shots under 200' I've ever used! The disc always lands flat with minimal ground play. I've also hit many putts circle 2 and out with it. It's also great for those high anny flex puts when you don't want to run past the basket. Wind doesn't seem to affect it much either. I have hit multiple trees and rocks and the nexus plastic has held up great for me and flight has barely changed. Not sure why innova hasn't pushed this disc more but for me it has been a game changer!

I am only slightly ashamed to say I ordered one of the proto star Animals off of DGU today.

A wild ride, over stony ground
Such a lust for life, the circus comes to town
We are the hungry ones, on a lightning raid
Just like a river runs, like a fire needs flame, oh
I burn for you
I gotta feel it in my blood, whoa oh
I need your touch, don't need your love, whoa oh
(And I want, and I need)
(And I lust, animal)
(And I want, and I need)
(And I lust, animal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6C0IzCO074

Pumped! :hfive:

I am only slightly ashamed to say I ordered one of the proto star Animals off of DGU today.

I burn for you
(And I want, and I need)
(And I lust, animal)
(And I want, and I need)
(And I lust, animal)

I just throw my discs. But, you can make love to yours. Not judging. <3

Since it's a proto star, I might just have to make up a name for it so that if someone asks, I don't have to tell them it's an animal.

I burn for you
(And I want, and I need)
(And I lust, animal)
(And I want, and I need)
(And I lust, animal)

Let's us know how it flies!

Does anyone have an extra proto star animal I could buy? I missed out yesterday. Thanks!

Felt some of the Star ones in store yesterday, all had a slight dome and showed plastic splay in the rim.

how does it compare to the Whale, sounds like a clone but with a thumb trac