• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Any new RHFH drivers to check out?

Long time, first time here. Just seeing if there any suggestions/recommendations for any newer disc on the market or older ones that I might have missed. I mostly throw right handed sidearm/forehand for distance driving. Years ago I worked myself up from things like a Wraith to a TRex, Crush, Boss, etc. I like to think I have a pretty strong arm. Tried a Champion Destroyer, but that seems like a little too much disc. Recently picked up a Krait which I kind of dig. Sometimes I'll use a Valkyrie for an S turn. Just thought I'd throw a post up to see if anybody had any recommendations.

Thanks so much,
Chad

What kind of controllable distances are you getting with the Wraith? Need some sort of baseline.

Tons of amazing choices, what do you want it to do?

Also how far and what method are you throwing now?

Thanks for the responses. I almost always drive RHFH, because that is what I use to get the most distance. I usually max out around 325' to 350' with a very occasional 375'. It has been a while since I have thrown a Wraith. I was trying to go up to faster more stable drivers then the Wraith. I just looked on Innova. I guess they don't make a Trex anymore. I guess what I am looking for is an overstable, but not crazy overstable max distance driver that is good for forehand.

If your only throwing in the 350 range and aren't turning them a bunch than your probably fine with that speed and stability.

But having said that the new MVP drivers are very solid. Octane could do very well for you. Look at something like a King maybe too. It's slightly less HSS than the Waith but similar LSS and amazing glide.

I don't forehand often, but I play with several guys who are forearm primarily. They do very well with Legacy drivers. Cannon for max, and Rampage for wind. Outlaw has been good for at least one of them.

Star destroyer has a little wiggle, but comes back at the end
S or C PD (or a p-line for a little more turn) should be pretty darn straight with a penetrating fade
VIP sword little turn, little fade
Sirius Scorpius- wildly under rated disc, very similar to a destroyer with a slightly different fell in hand

So many options: if it's round and plastic, it can be forehanded. Try a Z Crank. It might be a little fast, but the thing goes far (or at least my 174g red one does) and doesn't turn like crazy. I also like forehanding the Surge. Probably Z, though ESP would be fine.

I know you are looking at drivers, but I think a great bag progression is DD Lucid Verdict, Champ Teebird, S-PD. All three discs forehand the exact same lines (laser shots with a drift right finish), and should have 20-50' between them depending on your power. Regarding drivers, S-PD is a fantastic dead straight forehand disc for a bit more distance and stability than fairway drivers, but not as much movement as distance drivers.

I have really been liking the World for low fast forehand shots, it cuts through wind and holds lines well. But you have a bit more FH power than I do, and if you like to put some anny on your shots it's probably not worth looking at for you.

I'm looking the Discmania C-Line FD3. It's like a Firebird (9/3/0/4) but a bit longer and less fade on the tail end of flight. The flight numbers (9/4/0/3) remind me of a wee bit slower Starfire (10/4/0/3).

You've got a touch of distance on me, but I FH Starfires as my staple. Champ Starfire for some fade, Pro Starfire for less fade. Long way to go before I have a reason to go to a faster disc.

I have been cycling through LOTS of different new drivers to use on RHFH shots over the last two years. For reference I throw FH shots with about about 300-325 of power and I have reasonably clean form and don't throw with a ton of OAT. I think I could offer what I have settled on for now and that would be helpful advice. I've tried some of the gyro stuff and while I like the flatness of some of the discs and find I generally get a very clean release with them, I also find them to lack glide and soemtimes have trouble with wind. That's just me though. MVP/Axiom makes some fine FH discs I just took another fork in the road and there are only so many hours in the day to throw discs you know?

Starting with slow to fast my FH slots are as follows:

Westside Bt Soft Harp - Go to upshot FH disc. Straight $$$ par saving disc from everywhere bad you can find yourself on the course.

DD Lucid Verdict 180g - Fun FH mid! Drifts left a bit with a smooth predictable right finish.

DD Fluid Escape 175g - My controlled fairway FH disc. I love this and in Fluid plastic it has the stability to take a good amount of snap and the line shaping possibilities are endless. Can be sneaky long.

DD Fuzion Felon 175g - All things Firebird. I like the plastic better than Champ or Star FBs.

2x Westside VIP Sword 169g and 173g - These fly like faster stable Valks for me in that I can shape beautiful S lines with them. The lighter one can really S it out and the heavier one is a handpicked one with a high PLH that is pretty much my workhorse FH disc. This disc just works so well for me. I also find that because the Sword WILL flip if given too much OAT, it is also a good form diagnosis disc for me. In some ways the Sword is similar to a Wraith but I find it a touch faster and when I mash into a Sword it just flat out bombs. It is my longest disc. VIP plastic is where it's at for these. Tournament plastic starts off great in this mold but beats in too quickly IMHO.

2x Westside Tournament World 166g and 173g - Complimentary stable to OS bombers. Reminds me of a faster seasoned Teerex actually. I like Tournament plastic for this mold. The grip is so good and the life cycle is gradual and predictable. Also a very clean release for me with this mold.

DD Fuzion Enforcer 171g - Beats the wind. Goes right every time and can execute the monster FH flex line like a champ.

Hope that helps. If you want something a little more beefcake than a World you could also try the Westside Giant. What it comes down to me for me mostly is, which discs come out consistently the cleanest? My list above is what works for me. Have fun finding some of the good stuff that crushes for you.

It's hard to imagine a serious FH throwing not carrying a max weight Firebird.

I tried it, it was ok. Then I decided to try a 170g gstar firebird. I like it a lot better! Due finitely more controllable at more ranges for me. Laser straight to fade, skips ok on hard ground (not as well as champ though) and laughs in the face of wind. Mine is seasoning in now very nicely, less dump more fade.

So yeah, try a gstar firebird

But in all seriousness I am a forehand primary and these are some of my favorities to play around with.

Putter - Glo Whale & Star Colt (low profile = lots of control)
Midtrange - Star/Champion Cro (the low profile makes it easy to release forehand - esepcially if your grip has no fingers on the plate)
Fairway - Star Firebirds (the best forehand disc ever), C-line FD3 (these came out pretty neutral when thrown FH and offer lots of control), Star Whippet (beef and utility - great FH disc), Star Teebird (forehand roller/cut rollers)
Distance - S-line DD (forehand shots with a fair amount of turn), Star Destroyer (less turn than the DD, more distance)

Biofuzion Enforcers were what I was throwing for forehand distance drives before I hurt my shoulder. They have a decent amount of glide, can handle some torque, don't take forever to break in to the sweet spot and are comfortable in the hand.

I worked myself up from things like a Boss, etc. I like to think I have a pretty strong arm. Tried a Champion Destroyer, but that seems like a little too much disc.

:confused: wat?

Most Bosses I've thrown are pretty wicked OS. Destroyers can vary quite a bit, but I've always found them more workable than a Boss.

Anyway, not to be a nitpicking a-hole. :D Back to the point! I've been playing for many a moon, but never focused much on forehand until fairly recently. It's always just felt awkward to me. However, last season and into this year, I've really been focusing on getting the forehand game to match my backhand. I've found (as many people have said) that the Firebird truly is the forehand disc. I love my Star and Pro FBs. Champ is a little too OS for my janky form, however, for bag consolidation, I usually just use an overstable Discmania S-PD or Reptilian Disc Golf Raptor for most distance forehand lines. Both are OS enough to handle plenty of torque for straight lines with a strong fade (moreso with the Raptor) The Raptor flies very similar to a Firebird for me, however, it's made by our friends at a great boutique company that supports DGCR greatly. For tweener shots, I love the Kastaplast Kaxe and Ozone Discs Andro C. Both fly very similar to each other with a dead straight flight and moderate fade. Easily some of my favorite mid/fairways for both forehand and backhand.

If you're just getting back into the game, there are more options than you can shake a stick at, but I prefer a lot of the smaller companies (Reptilian, Element, Ozone, Kastaplast, ect) Best to just try as many friend's discs as you can and see what serves you. :thmbup:

Innova/ Discmania/ Millennium: TB, Eagle, FB, PD, OLF, FD3, Wraith, DD, DDx, Destro, PD2

Trilogy: Trident, Spark, St Pro, Longbowman, XXX, Cutlass, Sythe, Stilletto, Escape, Trespass, Giant, Enforcer, Defender, World

Legacy: Rival, Fighter, Enemy, Outlaw, Rampage

Honestly it doesn't matter. With decent form any disc can be thrown FH well.