• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Sidewinder Love?

Well ... I probably love it at this point because it's the only distance driver I can throw with consistency (and not a meathook). Anyone else a SW fan? I'm throwing a 168g Champ - will probably be the first disc I wear the stamp off of (it's about half gone after 2 months).

I throw sidewinders, a lot. I have a 168g Star, its pretty domey and has amazing glide. I probably get the most D out of it at this point. I also have a 175g Champ that is beat beyond beat. I love it for huge annys and hyzer flips.

A buddy has one, wanted a controlable long distance driver, but his is a meathook. We wonder if it's a misstamp.

A buddy has one, wanted a controlable long distance driver, but his is a meathook. We wonder if it's a misstamp.

Its either a misprint, or he has some bad form going on there. I've never met a sidewinder that was a meathook unless the person throwing it has no business doing so.

I love throwing Sidewinders in the field but I never get to throw one at the course. I wish I had longer courses near me.
I have never seen a meathook Sidewinder. There are a bunch of Orion LS stamped as Sidewinders and they are more overstable but definitely not meathooks. I like the OLS too. Goes well with the SW.

I like my 'winders for sure. Great tailwind/turnover/anny driver for a noodle arm like me.

168 Star for distance lines, slight annys.
161 Champ for big or tall annys.

I also have a 171 Star and a 168 Champ that are brand new, and can't be called understable just yet. Need some beating up first.

I love throwing Sidewinders in the field but I never get to throw one at the course. I wish I had longer courses near me.
I have never seen a meathook Sidewinder. There are a bunch of Orion LS stamped as Sidewinders and they are more overstable but definitely not meathooks. I like the OLS too. Goes well with the SW.

OLS is by far my favorite mold I have experienced so far.

I have a friend that pretty much swears by SW's,keeps a couple in his bag for some different things,definitely his best disc.

I meant to add that SWs (and their OLS cousin) are really looong discs even if you have a big arm. I throw 400+ and a SW (or an OLS) in a tailwind will still hang with my Wraiths and Destroyers. They need a much different line but they will bomb.

Like I said they are fun discs but I've never found myself "needing" one on the course. I realize my courses aren't the most driver-conducive courses.

One thing I found out from my 2 years of throwing all 150 class is that my 150 Star SW is rediculously easy to get out to 300'. I almost feel like I could drop it and it would somehow find its way out to 300'. Except headwinds... I cant get 300' with it into a headwind.

I think I like the Champs the best. And the QOLS. I keep mentioning these 2 discs together because the OLS is a SW top, core and wing with an added nose spacer. Basically the same disc, just very slightly taller.

Last edited:
I love mine, but it's a nice flat top and more stable than your average Sidewinder. Heck, I love it so much that even after the Vision kicked it's a$$. I still couldn't bring myself to yank it out of my bag!

Now that's love! or just being a dumb a$$?

It's been in and out of my bag for years but its back in and growing on me with each round I use them. I carry two first runs now and boy are they sweet. They're mostly used for long sweeping anhyzers and rollers but they're exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a lot of love for the sidewinder. Starting out it was the first disc that I could get accurate distance out of. I recommend it to anyone starting out to get more D with less snap.

Eventually it became a turn and burn disc for me but it is still good for tailwind bombs and rollers.
I will always have a SW in my bag.

Latest posts