• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anybody Else Really Digging the FLX Drone?

Risk

Par Member
I picked one up to replace a star Gator I lost and it was basically love at first throw. It's just so overstable it's virtually impossible to flip and it can take a full power run up tee shot better then Gator's too in my experience. Also I like how it has zero glide so when it runs out of juice it drops to the earth like a rock. So If you like Gators but won't something a little faster and more overstable I recommend checking the FLX Drone out.

I just got one last week and it is replacing my Gator as well. I don't know if I have a bum Star Gator, but the Drone seems to have a lot more glide, but not nearly as much as my Buzzz.

I love it, highly recommended.

J

It's one of my most thrown discs, and I've got 10 of the LE ones sitting in my trunk. It is so consistent--especially in the wind. I find I throw it less and less as I throw my putters more and more though. I know Blake disagrees, but it's a very useful disc IMO.

awesome disc, I bought one of the LE's when they first came out and it's still in the bag. very consistent disc but, not for everyone as it is quite overstable. I used to use them for shorter drives, but now I mainly use them for utility/trick shots.

For the summer I moved on to the Z Drone for a slightly better glide but once the cold weather moves back in for good, the FLX Drone is a staple in my bag. Great for hyzer driving and approaching on anything under 300 feet. When I need to get up and over obstacles with a finishing fade to the left, nothing handles it or is as forgiving as a Drone (if I try to get over obstacles with anything else, they often land straight ahead instead of around the obstacles).

They are also great for skipping off the ground to get a hard, predictable left bounce. I use this bounce at Plymouth Creek #5 and Blue Ribbon Pines #26 if you know those holes. When worse to comes to worse, FLX Drones make a good putter replacement, especially in windy conditions.

The combination the Drone's overstableness, the nigh-indestructibility of FLX plastic, along with the FLX Plastic great wet/ cold weather grip makes this a must have disc.

One thing I noticed though, and I do not know if this will really make a difference with people, is that the 2008 World FLX Drone is far firmer than the LE FLX Drone from 2008. I have not fondled a 2009 FLX Drone, so I do not know how they compare. The World Edition flies a lot better than the LE.

Risk said:
Glad I'm not the only one who likes this disc. Also I was wondering what a really beat in Pro D Drone flys like?
kinda like a buzzz, less HSS then a buzzz but more LSS. I think they are less predictable then a buzzz though.
I actually keep one in my bag for the "I really want to try this shot but don't want to loose my disc" type of shots, and I haven't lost it yet.

I finally got to throw my FLX Drone yesterday. I needed something to replace my Z Wasp that wasn't nearly stable enough for the role I wanted it in, so despite my hate for FLX plastic I ordered a Drone. I really like it. My home course is super windy in the winter, this'll be perfect.

Is it just mine or are they all a little stiffer than most other FLX discs? Mine is a stock stamp production run and it's definitely stiffer than the FLX Buzzz I played with.

dgdave said:
They blended more ESP into the flx Drones. Can't remember why, but they did.

The FLX Drones I've felt arent that flexy now. Seem more like a softer ESP now, although I'm sure once you start banging tress they'll start to flex. I really want to start throwing the Drone, but I dont care for FLX or Pro D, so hopefully they make production Z Drones soon.

NoLifeLeft said:
Is it just mine or are they all a little stiffer than most other FLX discs? Mine is a stock stamp production run and it's definitely stiffer than the FLX Buzzz I played with.

I have/had all the discs available in FLX because I think they are awesome wet and or cold weather discs. The Drone by far is the stiffest of all their discs. It still has the indestructibility and grip of the FLX plastic, as well as its tendency to not ricochet off of trees as badly as other discs, without being floppy.

My 2008 Worlds has taken tremendous abuse over the last year and flies almost exactly like the day I had bought it. I have a Z Drone I picked up this summer so I cannot compare how well it will fly for another couple of weeks until the snow becomes permanent. I used the 2008 FLX for every shot under 320 feet and it was a staple in bag. For me, traditionally Z and Champion plastic becomes unthrowable during the winter because of their slickness when wet.

it does everything, short thumbers, spike hyzers, short drives that need to be accurate, fights wind, sidearm approaches.....EVERYTHING

I had a Limited Flex Drone but lost it. Couldn't wait until they came in regular production, but when they did I only saw domey ones. Not at all like my Drone, which was flat like a pancake. I didn't buy one since I figured they couldn't fly the same as my Drone. Anyone knows about how the regular differs from the limited in flight?

In the last several months I have seen several people throwing the newer FLX Drones. Some were throwing them for the sake of novelty, but I also saw several that appeared to be fairly beaten in, like they were taking their fair share of the tough shots.

Of the few I have seen in flight, they did not look noticeable any different than the shots I had been taking with my older 2008 FLXes. If I had to say anything, the flight and fade seemed the same, maybe they just did not seem to glide as well (but that could also be attributed to less power and understanding of what the disc can do).

First Post!!!!

Now that I got that out I just wanna get some feedback from all you seasoned Drone throwers. I moved from Kansas to Missouri a few months back and its just as damn windy here as was back there. I've been using the FLX drone for short drives, thumbers, spike hyzers, and for any shot that the wind wont let me throw a buzzz into all winter long. Great disc. Love it. blah blah blah... anyways I'm debating forking out some money and picking up some Z Drones now that the weather is not so damn cold. I agree with one of the above post that the FLX drone isn't as flexy as other FLX discs are (say a FLX buzzz where i can bend it in half) so I was wondering how they hold up when the temp gets up in the mid 80's to low 100's. Do they tend to be less dependable in hotter temps? With summer weather around the corner I see Z/Champ plastic taking over my bag again so I'm trying to get some feedback on this.

Thanks

Get a Z Drone...you'll never look back. You can always burn through stiff D drones, but nothing compares to the Z. Champ Gators suck, demons are only good for a few months. Nuff said...

try the E demons love them pushed the drones out of my bag and the gators to the trade in box.