• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

anyone know anything about these new courses by John Houck

A quick update on the new 9 in Cedar Park. We just learned that there are a substantial number of trees that still need to be removed (some of them absolutely critical). Also, there is no signage whatsoever -- several tees are marked with temporary flags, and some tees are not marked at all. And a couple baskets seem to have been installed in a spot other than where we intended.

I'm writing to the parks department. For now, the course appears to be "not ready for prime time." In fact, it sounds like a few holes are just about unplayable.

If you're in the neighborhood, take a look. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste a trip. I'll post here when these issues get addressed.

Thanks,
John

Thanks John. Boo for that, but I understand. I will still go give it a looks.

So I played 6, 7, and 8 on Sat. and it was nice. I'm going to go back out the last week in March and play the whole thing. I skipped one off 7's basket, just 6 inches more. Nice job John, another beautiful course.

So I played 6, 7, and 8 on Sat. and it was nice. I'm going to go back out the last week in March and play the whole thing. I skipped one off 7's basket, just 6 inches more. Nice job John, another beautiful course.

Almost got the first ace -- so close. For what it's worth, I'm hearing that 2, 5, and 9 are almost unplayable due to trees that still need to come out.

Glad you liked it anyway -- it'll be a jewel when it's done.

Glad you liked it anyway -- it'll be a jewel when it's done.

Is the new Cedar Park course slated for concrete teepads and/or signs? I played it yesterday and noticed that many of the red flags that mark the tee locations are already missing. I will say the course is beautiful. It's like a DG'ers playground with all the creek crossings and stairways. In that aspect it really reminds me of East Metro Park but is better because the rock is more natural looking than the treated lumber used build the features at East Metro.

There are definitely a few too many small trees left in some of the fairways.

Is there any info on the Met-center disc golf course? Has ground been broken on it yet? Is it still planned to open this Spring? Any info would be appreciated.

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to playing the new Cedar Park course, but I may wait a bit as it doesn't seem quite finished yet. It's location makes it perfect for being able to hit up 2 or even 3 courses in the same day. Thanks for designing all these amazing central Texas courses!

Cedar Park probably won't get concrete tees or deluxe signs anytime soon, due to budget constraints. But I am talking to the parks department about at least getting 4x4's at every tee box.

As for the MetCenter, we're moving as quickly as possible, but there is still at least one level of approval from the City ahead. I hope they will still be able to open this spring; I just can't make any promises right now.

Thanks for designing all these amazing central Texas courses!

Thanks for saying so, Skurf. I really appreciate it. There's still more ahead -- hoping to have news about two nice new courses soon...

....and any chance of a copy of your recent review of Kansas City's courses to be used for the World's? I'd love to see how they compare to each other and what are the pro's/cons of the courses I play regularly. I am excited to get out and watch this year's worlds to finally see how others play the courses!

Jace, we're hoping to get the call from Lenexa any day. My latest info is that they're trying to iron out an issue with another park project first.

As for the KC review, I actually only reviewed Blue Valley with several key club members. There was no written report. I think you're right -- seeing top players on your home courses can be very enlightening.

Gang, I just got official word from the parks director in Cedar Park saying that the course is not open. Not to say that you can't go out there, but don't tell all your friends yet.

We'll work with them to get it up to speed.

For what it's worth, I'm hearing that 2, 5, and 9 are almost unplayable due to trees that still need to come out.

Well John, it is a tight one, but I almost aced #2 today, skipped right in front of the basket, chain high. As for 5 and 9, I would say that they are playable but tough. 9 is the hardest hole out there and is the only one that might need a tree or a few taken out. 5 is awesome and just needs 2 good shots to set you up for an descent approach for bird. I love the course and just about every other course you had your hands on. Keep them coming!

Latest posts