• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ape, Katana, or Vulcan For Forehand drives?

what are you guys talking about, why has nobody suggested a groove yet? amazing forehand disc lol

just kidding dont get a groove

My brother in law drives strictly RHFH and uses a Star Katana. He gets it out there about 375. He hasn't thrown any of the others so I don't know about comparisons

Is say stick with the wraith or move up to a boss. The ape is super overstable and will cut right really hard

I love my Vulcan(s) for throwing FH. You have to throw with some hyzer and have good form otherwise it will 'turn and burn' on you. Also I don't recommend it for headwinds at all... obviously. :)

Just wanted to say it depends on what you're wanting. If you want all out distance, it's going to be what you can throw the longest, which usually is controlling something that's fast and has little fade. If your form is sloppy, of which I have no idea but just assume as you're a FH player talking about over stable drivers, maybe a katana or vulcan would help your game. Since I probably can't talk you into a roadrunner or sidewinder...

ive tried using a groove (not many people like them), katana, monarch, and vulcan for RHFH. I seem to be liking the katana as of now, but my arm isn't the strongest.

I am looking for a high speed under stable disc to turn left at a good distance. I throw a Boss about 400 and have been throwing a beast for some turnover shots but looking for a higher speed 12,13. Anyone think a Vulcan will do the trick?

EDIT:I throw forehand

Last edited:
I am looking for a high speed under stable disc to turn left at a good distance. I throw a Boss about 400 and have been throwing a beast for some turnover shots but looking for a higher speed 12,13. Anyone think a Vulcan will do the trick?

EDIT:I throw forehand

I think a Vulcan could do the trick. I like the understable stuff too. The Katana works best for me, but thats for straight shots. The Vulcan can probably hold a longer turn.

Try a Westside King. I've been enjoying FHing that one lately and it is really getting me out of a bad FH funk. Its -1/4 flight rating gets a nice S curve for me and it has solid glide. I'm not much of a FH player though so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't know man the king is pretty darn floppy, if you're gonna go westside get a boatman for fh. I'm putting in a vote for a Halo here.

Vulcan and Katana should be able to be used for FH just fine, same for the King, I just wouldn't call them headwind drivers and I would also note for the person wanting the FH turnover, some people find them too flippy BH and a lot of FH throwers OAT things much worse than BH, so make sure you have a clean throw.

The katana is actually not too bad for a forehand. I've had moderate success throwing it flat. If you put any anny on it and give it a lot of arm, it will tend to flip on you.

The XCaliber is also a good choice. A few years ago I replaced my Teerex with an XCaliber and it's been my go-to RHFH driver ever since.

This. I have been throwing RHFH for about 4 years. I learned on a Boss but found my TeeRex to be the best. Then, I discovered an XCaliber. It's not easily my favorite and best FH disc. I can throw it 375-400 on a nice smooth line. PICK UP AN XCAL!

EDIT: To actually answer the OP, my XCal flies great in the wind, including headwind.

how are you guys sleeping on the destroyer? IMO its the best of all the super fast discs. get a star one, beat it in a little, then for max distance throw it flat and let it flip and come back. and a SDS star destroyer before it gets beat up is good for long hyzers. its pretty versatile for a fast disc. it along with the firebird are my fav forehand discs.

Latest posts