• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are overhands a major factor in your game?

tigel

Double Eagle Member
Lately I've been trying to understand some stuff in a different perspective. I've recently been introduced to Minnesota disc golf aka WOODS and I'm learning a lot about my game.

First of all, I can't shape backhand/forehand lines yet. I'm working on it, I try every chance I get to master that slight hyzer line shot; or that super straight shot between rows and rows of trees... At this time, coming from 90% open courses, I'm no where near ready for this stuff.

On normal rec rounds I practice these lines. However, Saturday I had a tournament and figured I'd go ahead and use my overhands on the < 300 holes. My overhand is my strongest 'weapon' and I'm really confident in them. Long story short I parked the majority of holes < 300 Saturday with overhand throws. Mostly thumbers, but if the line wasn't there tomahawks did the trick. I actually hit chains on two holes in a row with my thumbers.

I'm to the point where I still want to learn to throw those backhand lines but at the same time my overhands are working out a lot better. Even if its a super straight hole, I can torque my overhand throw to make it work. Yeah there's no way I'm going to ace, but at least I get it out there instead of hitting a tree to the right 50 ft out... so even though I want to better my game, I also feel content where I'm at... If that makes sense.

I'm curious if anyone else has is super confident in their overhand throws and either are struggling now, or did back in their career starting out. What did you do? What do you do now? I don't want to not be able to shape normal lines, I want a balanced set of skills, I just don't know if I should keep striving to master my overhands, or work twice as hard to get everything balanced out.

When I look at my bag, I basically throw 4 discs. A putter, a midrange, an overstable fairway (might replace with trident), and a distance driver. That's all I used Saturday. On holes that needed to fade right (RHBH) I just torqued on my wraiths a little.. I used my core basically only for upshots inside 200. I never drove with it once, I used overhands for that... So I'm finding myself not 'needing' a lot of recommended line slots. Which is fine I guess, if it works. I'm just used to having a disc, or mold for each shot in disc golf (anny, hyzer, overstable, wind, roller, etc etc).

EDIT*

I'm also confused on my mentality and attitude towards the idea of overhands. Learning the sport I've considered backhands/forehands to be the main set of tools for a player and overhands being more of a utility. I'm sort of on the edge of the opposite. Yeah on long holes, I'll throw backhand. My max D is 375, so I have a decent backhand, but 75% of my shots inside 300 are usually overhands because I feel so comfortable with them, and most of the time the lines work out well... Maybe I should be treating every type of throw equally? Could I be wrong by assuming utility shots are different from backhand/forehand shots?

/confusion!

tigel said:
Lately I've been trying to understand some stuff in a different perspective. I've recently been introduced to Minnesota disc golf aka WOODS and I'm learning a lot about my game.

First of all, I can't shape backhand/forehand lines yet. I'm working on it, I try every chance I get to master that slight hyzer line shot; or that super straight shot between rows and rows of trees... At this time, coming from 90% open courses, I'm no where near ready for this stuff.

On normal rec rounds I practice these lines. However, Saturday I had a tournament and figured I'd go ahead and use my overhands on the < 300 holes. My overhand is my strongest 'weapon' and I'm really confident in them. Long story short I parked the majority of holes < 300 Saturday with overhand throws. Mostly thumbers, but if the line wasn't there tomahawks did the trick. I actually hit chains on two holes in a row with my thumbers.

I'm to the point where I still want to learn to throw those backhand lines but at the same time my overhands are working out a lot better. Even if its a super straight hole, I can torque my overhand throw to make it work. Yeah there's no way I'm going to ace, but at least I get it out there instead of hitting a tree to the right 50 ft out... so even though I want to better my game, I also feel content where I'm at... If that makes sense.

I'm curious if anyone else has is super confident in their overhand throws and either are struggling now, or did back in their career starting out. What did you do? What do you do now? I don't want to not be able to shape normal lines, I want a balanced set of skills, I just don't know if I should keep striving to master my overhands, or work twice as hard to get everything balanced out.

When I look at my bag, I basically throw 4 discs. A putter, a midrange, an overstable fairway (might replace with trident), and a distance driver. That's all I used Saturday. On holes that needed to fade right (RHBH) I just torqued on my wraiths a little.. I used my core basically only for upshots inside 200. I never drove with it once, I used overhands for that... So I'm finding myself not 'needing' a lot of recommended line slots. Which is fine I guess, if it works. I'm just used to having a disc, or mold for each shot in disc golf (anny, hyzer, overstable, wind, roller, etc etc).

I've never seen a pro throw a thumber for a tunnel shot in competition. That being said, thumbers are high percentage by nature and do not take the kind of practice to remain situationally effective as backhand/forehand. They are also not as versatile as far as line shaping goes. Practice your backhand/forehand...your overhand shots will remain effective as a backup or in the right situations. Use them in your upcoming tournament as you are more confident with them, but you need to commit to mastering conventional shots for the long term.

I throw some overhand, and I throw it pretty well. It's a major advantage on a lot of holes, and definitely worth mastering (which I haven't yet.) But I can consistently birdie holes that used to be a challenge just to par.

But, I keep myself from throwing overhands too much. There's a lot of wind where I play, and it wreaks havok on overhands that are longer than 250' or so. Go on Youtube and watch some of the disc golf monthly videos. Most of those are on the east coast, and I think you'll see a lot of reasons to master other shots after watching those videos.

You should also be able to throw a lot farther with a backhand or a roller, I would think you'd be capping your distance by throwing predominantly overhand. But, if you have a really nice forehand, that can be compensated for.

I am of the opinion that overhand is also harder on your body. I know that people say if you throw it right, it shouldn't be, but I've always been taught (in other sports) that throwing overhand is the most taxing throwing motion on your body. Especially throwing upwards and overhand. Maybe that's not fact, just my opinion.

On some of the videos that JR posted on youtube, there's a European guy that throws predominantly overhand and forehand. It was cool to watch him play, he doesn't appear to be too disadvantaged, although it looks like he can really bomb. Somebody else can maybe link to those for you.

I know Schweberger throws a lot of overhand on tunnel shots, or to get around stuff. He's really effective with it, from what I've seen.

A guy around here (terry G) is deadly with overhands, he used to be a MLB prospect and spent some time in the minors so his overhand throwing motion is crazy. Him and schwebby can both shape some crazy lines with thumbers but they both still throw a ton of backhand and forehand shots. The overhand needs to be one part in your arsenal.

Also watch up for fucking up your shoulder, it won't do your game any good to have to have labrum surgery.

Overhands are a huge part of my game as well....and a good one. If you want to progress at all tho you will need a good backhand and forehand shot as well.

I learned to throw a thumber because of this hole in Kirkland, IL #11 ~ 300ft.

main.php

main.php

main.php

I threw a lot of plastic forehand and backhand into the river on the right-it's just past the trees. I have also seen a lot of others lose money in the river. There is a homeboy forehand route on the left, but it's a low percentage shot, I only dueced it once with that route. If you can throw a roc or putter dead straight, this is an easy shot. I was just learning the game and hadn't learned that shot. The only way I could get a two was by throwing a thumber. If I ever go back to that course I would probably still throw a thumber because it works all the time. Having learned the thumber because of that hole has come in handy hundreds of times since then.

I've started throwing thumbers a lot more, and I've seen my distance and accuracy improve. I've been noticing lately, though, that they seem to let me down (slip out, or throw too low) when I really need them to work (deuce-or-die hole in a tourney), and it's been frustrating the hell out of me.

I can birdie the hole 30 times in a row, then screw it up in a tourney - whereas I usually see my backhand shots improve during tourneys.

I pitched in baseball growing up, all the way to my Junior year of high school. The only 'pain' I've experienced is from the thumb rubbing against the rim on cold days. That's to be expected though. Tomahawks on the other hand are usually pain free. However, tomahawks are probably the most dangerous in my experience. Your body is doing some weird shit to throw at the right angle, with enough power...

Ville is the euro guy you're talking about. Amazing overhand/forehand player. When I threw forehand dominant I think I watched every video I could find on him. He's partly the reason why I have leaned towards a lot of overhands.

I'm gonna keep working on my backhand/forehand shots like always. It's just super frustrating getting on a tee, looking at the possible lines, deciding to throw a straight backhand line instead of the normal overhand line and ending up hitting a tree 100 ft out. Which if I threw my overhand there's hardly no chance at all of me hitting something within 100ft. Oh well ;)

I saw a lot of pros using the thumber/tomahawk at the Vibram Open NT last year. Was so surpised on how many people were throwing them and doing well too. It is a great throw to have in the bag for placement and get out of trouble shots.

Frank Delicious said:
Also watch up for fucking up your shoulder, it won't do your game any good to have to have labrum surgery.

If you know how to throw a baseball correctly, throwing overhand is easy. I knew a guy that wrecked his shoulder throwing overhand like a spaz on everything but putting. It's possible to ruin yourself if you do it wrong. If it hurts, just stop.

jsun3thousand said:
Frank Delicious said:

If you know how to throw a baseball correctly, throwing overhand is easy.

Very true but just like ballplayers, your form can break down as you get tired and you will get sloppy which leads to injury. I am not saying don't throw thumbers because many people do it with success just that if you're going to throw a lot of them be aware that you could be doing damage to your shoulder.

I use scoobers and hammers to get out of trouble and that's about it. I should probably experiment with throwing hammers farther.

i only use thumbers for REALLY tight shots in the woods. i've played some holes that have fairways only about triple the width of your disc (maybe a slight exaggeration). thats when i pull out the thumber. no need to get over confident backhand. the fact is, on certain holes, even if you're an elite backhand or forehand thrower, a thumber can be a higher percentage shot. you just have to experiment a lot with it and decide at what point (of fairway width) the thumber becomes more reliable.

Yeah, Ville Piippo (from Finland, hooray!) is unbelievable with his fore- and overhands. I heard a guy say that he knows lots of players who can't throw a decent forehand and still do well in competitions, but only two who can't throw a decent backhand. Don't know who the other one is.

I used to use overhands a lot when I played one particular wooded course right when I started, but after I found a course closer (only 30 instead of 45 miles :p) to my home that was more open I stopped. My overhand is really weak anyways, on a good throw I can get around 200 feet. I'm currently trying to develop some throwing muscles, my arms and shoulders have always been my weakest point. Hopefully I can get to 250 feet next season.

Overhand shots are my least used technique of all. My home course is heavily wooded, and the canopy makes it all but impossible. Plus, I never threw overhand before I started playing golf, so back/forehand shots are my bread and butter. I will throw overhand if it'll get me out of trouble, but it's never really for distance.

They are a big part of my game, but I don't throw them a ton. When I do, I feel very confident in them. That for thumbers. Not so much on tommies.

I'm to the point where I'd rather thumber a midrange even in wind inside 100ft. It's sad, I might have issues :lol:

tigel said:
I'm to the point where I'd rather thumber a midrange even in wind inside 100ft. It's sad, I might have issues :lol:

Same.

But always in the back of my head is that I should be throwing that shot backhand, nevermind that I can drop a thumber within 5 feet of my intended area. It's just the mentality that, in this sport, mastering the backhand is paramount to pretty much all else.

tigel said:
play a month or 2 with ZERO overhands......problem fixed.
this is how i learned to throw backhand (i was all forehands when i started) i didnt throw a forehand shot for at least six months, even if the shot was an easy FH and a super tough anny i would take the anny every time. once i was confident in my BH i started peppering in FH shots again when the shot called for it and now my skills are fairly well balanced with both

yeah that's how I learned my backhand. My forehand was pretty nice but I stopped completely to learn backhand. Now my forehand is shit and I'm not sure if I want to risk not having an overhand you know? We will see. Maybe like 1 overhand a round max or something minimal ;)

Latest posts