• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Tourneys Fun?

Do you enjoy tourney play?

• Yes

Votes: 214 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.6%
  • Haven't played in a tourney yet

Votes: 29 9.8%

• Total voters
Ill just say it.. disc golfs are a bunch of whiners who love to grumble over non-issues. If playing at a disc golf course next to an airport is possible without issue (golfers use the same course) ill never understand the awkwardness of DG etiquette. Its like the statue stop when putting out which I find almost more annoying then if the person would just keep walking away. None of it is going to impact your shot that much with a little focus. I was always pretty good at hitting Free Throws in basketball and last time I checked the games are not in a Library.

This **** aint golf.

But it is golf. It exists because traditional golf exists and is modeled largely on ball golf. Much of the etiquette from ball golf transfers over and is even incorporated in the pdga rules (teeing order, playing away, ect.)

I was a good high school baseball and basketball player and the mental approach to these sports vs. golf is completely different. In basketball with the pace of the game i could let natural athleticism take over and didn't even hear noise from the bleachers. Golf is more mechanical and requires waiting and then brief periods of intense concentration.

That the etiquette of tourney rounds is different than that of casual rounds is one of the reasons i like tournament play.

This is the best reply I've read.
David gives his personal opinion.

Absolutely.

Then points out how many people love them by the growth the sport is experiencing and how the tournament scene is growing right along with it.

I think the ever-increasing numbers of tournaments and participants indicate that an awful lot of people find them fun.

And then he shows maturity by not trying to vilify or discredit the people that don't enjoy them.

The number of people who have tried tournaments and no longer play them indicates that they're not to everyone's taste. Which is a reminder that disc golf can be enjoyed in quite a variety of ways.

The fact of the matter is the real answer for most of us is "Sometimes" or "Most of the time". Poorly run events are not fun. Overcrowded events are not fun. Playing with people that are jerks is not fun. (tourny or not ;) ) But there is great fun to be had at well run events regardless of our own personal performance. Tournaments give us a competitive atmosphere to see what we are really made of, an opportunity to meet new people that love the game just like us, and a time of fellowship with many great people we already know.

My answer is I enjoy tournaments "Most of the time".

I love tournaments because it brings out the competitive side of me.....on the other hand the tournament has to be run properly. Me and GripEnemy have played in the NEUS Doubles tournament now 3 years in a row. The same TD has run it and he's a friend of ours. For the last three years in a row there have been issues with how the tournament has been run and we've been screwed out of 3 titles. It's hard to like tournaments when the TD doesn't uphold the rules of the PDGA and regular guidelines and let's people get away with breaking the rules.

I voted "haven't played", although I did do a Trilogy Challenge and Ace Race last year. I don't really consider them tournaments. Not sure if I would play in an actual one or not - I'm more a casual player.

I tried a tourney once but I just didn't have as much fun as playing a casual round with friends. I primarily play just to get outside and off my ass. I probably would like it more if I was more serious and was better at it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the Ace Race a tournament by any means. It's an event, yes.

Then why is it called golf?

You probably never noticed it, but if you want to play seriously, concentration is the biggest part of the game. Not distracting people while they try to focus is just good manners.

This is whats wrong and holding disc golf back if anything-- disc golfers.

If you really think DG is ANYTHING like golf well.. OK!

Then why is it called golf?

You probably never noticed it, but if you want to play seriously, concentration is the biggest part of the game. Not distracting people while they try to focus is just good manners.

I agree, but if your mental game was strong then there would be no outside distractions.

I have no issued with people walking yelling or what have you. Once i step up to my mini tunnel vision kicks in and everything else is white noise.

I don't talk or move around when other people are shooting but it doesn't bother me. Different strokes for different folks.

I play with people who play in tournaments but honestly the reason I have never entered a tournament is that the pace of play is so dreadfully slow that I can't stand it. Even random doubles every saturday is played at a snails pace. Even though my double normally places in the top 10% it isn't work it because it takes soooooo long to play. Throw the disc and lets go!

I voted yes.

I love casual rounds where you can try out stuff, test discs and just have tons of fun with your buddys.

But tournaments are where it matters! Every throw counts, every mistake can ruin it. I like the pressure and the good feeling you get, when you hit a tough putt or you were able to beat a guy you´ve never beaten before.

Tournament play is by far my favorite way to play. The bigger the event, the better. The higher the stakes, the better. I love the competition and the pressure. I rarely play "casual" rounds any more. If i'm playing "casually" at my home course it is usually solo, with a specific practice goal in mind.

I find it opposite as many of you do as far as pace of play is concerned. The pace of play of "casual" rounds drives me nuts. I feel I could have thrown 10x as many shots and putts practicing on my own rather than playing a casual round, and be far more productive.

I tell newer players at the course all the time when they ask for advice on how to get better. Play less, practice more. In the time you play 18 holes, throwing 18 drives and putting out 18 times, you could have thrown 10x the amount of throws and putts.

Tournament play is by far my favorite way to play. The bigger the event, the better. The higher the stakes, the better. I love the competition and the pressure. I rarely play "casual" rounds any more. If i'm playing "casually" at my home course it is usually solo, with a specific practice goal in mind.

I find it opposite as many of you do as far as pace of play is concerned. The pace of play of "casual" rounds drives me nuts. I feel I could have thrown 10x as many shots and putts practicing on my own rather than playing a casual round, and be far more productive.

Word to all this.

I tell newer players at the course all the time when they ask for advice on how to get better. Play less, practice more. In the time you play 18 holes, throwing 18 drives and putting out 18 times, you could have thrown 10x the amount of throws and putts.

I take the opposite approach. Play more practice less. I am not going to practice something that in all reality will never make me a dime and i am sure many others feel the same way. But if you got the time and you think that some day all your practice will pay off then by all means to each their own.

I take the opposite approach. Play more practice less. I am not going to practice something that in all reality will never make me a dime and i am sure many others feel the same way. But if you got the time and you think that some day all your practice will pay off then by all means to each their own.

I practice simply because I want to play better in tournaments. The fact that I'm not going to see any real financial gain isn't going to stop me from wanting to improve my game.

I play rec basketball and softball. We practice on occasion, not because we're going to gain anything for our play, but simply because we want to win more games.

I practice simply because I want to play better in tournaments. The fact that I'm not going to see any real financial gain isn't going to stop me from wanting to improve my game.

I play rec basketball and softball. We practice on occasion, not because we're going to gain anything for our play, but simply because we want to win more games.

No doubt, but from my perspective i use my casual rounds as practice, throw a couple from the tee, work on differnent things, all sidearm round, all mids, all putters. you can still "practice" while playing. Practice to me in softball or basketball is called a pick up game.

Are you grown men running layup lines and running suicides when you don't make layups? insert sarcastic smiley here

I never said i was not improving my game or not striving to, i just don't practice in the same manner as most.

I realize that i will be at my best a middle of the rung advanced player and at worst a middle of the rung intermediate player. I have accepted my place in this game and i am comfortable with that. I play for competition as i am 38 and not longer play softball or basketball. This is the only place i get the competitive juices going.

Latest posts