• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advise the mullet

enragedmullet

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I'm playing my first tournament in 9 years next Sunday. It'll be the 2nd tournament I've played in.*
Why the gap? Meh. Competing in tourneys is a bit antithetical to the main ethos of being a
professional recreational player. This is more to support a local course and the timing just sort of worked
for me.

Anyway, I'm looking for any advice, serious, sarcastic, cynical or hilarious. Dump some gems on me, crew.

*The first tourney I played in was a course I'd played only once and I came in last. I was still
pretty new to the sport. So I figure, if I come in last Sunday I can at LEAST say that I'm still as good as
I was almost a decade ago, and how many professional (recreational) athletes can say that? Lebron?

So I got that goin' for me.

I recommend rolling up in a rented tuxedo to check in with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth, roll down the window and ask where tee pad number one is and what the course record is.

I recommend rolling up in a rented tuxedo to check in with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth, roll down the window and ask where tee pad number one is and what the course record is.
i went to the course for a practice round yesterday and thought of this - what's funny is when i did go for aces on some holes i found myself considering doing the same thing at the tourney

that sounds like something you've seen happen in real life
I have not seen it happen during tournament play.
I have had it happen while playing small cash/casual rounds with a friend.
I have seen said friend running back across the course for his wallet during local dubs leagues.
I have heard of said friend running back across the course for his wallet during tournaments.

that sounds like something you've seen happen in real life
Oh shit I almost forgot the best one - I have heard of the friend I mentioned ALSO getting into a shouting match with long-time Michigan pro Mike Raley over it. Apparently Raley forced him to stop using his wallet as a mini and he just got completely outraged over the fact that someone would call him on it. I know Raley can be a bit stiff at times (you WILL get lectured if you nice his disc during a tournament), but I also know for sure that the whole situation was on the friend. I can 100% see him blowing up over being asked to stop using his wallet as a mini.

I think the 2007 Vienna Park Open was the last time Raley played a tournament at Vienna Park (the friend's home course, the friend was the designer of the layout at the time in 2001). I think he played there semi-frequently before that.

Since I've been here in Maine, I've found a wallet on the course, Sabattus-Eagle,
3 Discs on courses and 1 Disc in the campground where we are staying.
So be sure to pick up after yourself!!

Oh yea, and I've heard its good to drop a deuce before you start!! 😁

Oh shit I almost forgot the best one - I have heard of the friend I mentioned ALSO getting into a shouting match with long-time Michigan pro Mike Raley over it. Apparently Raley forced him to stop using his wallet as a mini and he just got completely outraged over the fact that someone would call him on it. I know Raley can be a bit stiff at times (you WILL get lectured if you nice his disc during a tournament), but I also know for sure that the whole situation was on the friend. I can 100% see him blowing up over being asked to stop using his wallet as a mini.

I think the 2007 Vienna Park Open was the last time Raley played a tournament at Vienna Park (the friend's home course, the friend was the designer of the layout at the time in 2001). I think he played there semi-frequently before that.
Raley was, by all accounts, insufferable.

Raley was, by all accounts, insufferable.
I guess I didn't golf with him enough to come to that conclusion. I knew that if I was courteous I'd have a smooth round with him, never had a problem at all and I'd say overall I enjoyed my rounds against him. He's up there with Brad Schick as one of those dudes I just couldn't seem to get ahead of even for a single weekend, so much consistency.

Latest posts