• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arizona Courses

im from tx. we believe heat just adds to the ssa. lol i have lots of water.
thats what we do in houston when its 100+ and 100% humid anyway. im just interested in getting some golf going with locals. i spend all week alone in a truck. lol

Played Buffalo Ridge this morning for the first time. Beautiful course peoples. I spent a time when I was young riding a motorcycle around that same desert. What a course in Arizona should be... a true representation of the local natural environment. No one was there though. I was lucky enough to run into a man who knew where the first tee was, after that I had to track some guy wearing vans or van like shoes. I lost him on 16. Great course. but yes brutally hot.

If you havent heard, 18 holes at Snowbowl will be back very soon. Take a break from the heat up north. Bring water and hiking shoes

If you havent heard, 18 holes at Snowbowl will be back very soon. Take a break from the heat up north. Bring water and hiking shoes

Awesome! I still haven't played NAU or Thorpe so I hope to get up there again in the near future. Will it be listed on this site?

From Tucson here. In the talks with Mike W. from TDGC about trying to set up something new by Columbus Park on Silverbell Rd. If you know or want to get more involved let me know! Wish we had more courses down here... Seriously there is so much potential.

=)

I think I'm going to play some courses in Prescott in the next few days. What should I play?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner... 'twas down in the valley. Well, only two courses have baskets, and only one of those is public(Watson). The other(Yavapines) has summer campers at the moment so it's out. My favorite of the object courses is Thumb Butte. I did stumble across the remnants of an old object course out White Spar Rd. that was intriguing. The fire fighters had done a prescribed burn out there not too long ago though and burnt much of the targets off.... or at least made them hard to see from any distance, but it's very scenic down/up/over there. Let me know when you're coming up, I'm almost always available to play, and I always enjoy meeting new peoples.

gonna be in Chandler, maybe down to Tuscon, maybe a little north of Phoenix too. What should I avoid and what should I play. Will probably have a few hours in the early mornings or late evenings in between collecting insects with my dad. Also, do any of the courses have a good forest (by AZ standards) He enjoys watching me play, but a manicured park wont have many native insects, like a more wild landscape would. Any course suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

gonna be in Chandler, maybe down to Tuscon, maybe a little north of Phoenix too. What should I avoid and what should I play. Will probably have a few hours in the early mornings or late evenings in between collecting insects with my dad. Also, do any of the courses have a good forest (by AZ standards) He enjoys watching me play, but a manicured park wont have many native insects, like a more wild landscape would. Any course suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

For insects, the more natural AZ courses will have lots of variety, like Red mountain, Buffalo Ridge, and Papago..not to mention reptiles.
They have a forest, of Mesquite trees and cacti.

For Disc golf I'd say Fountain hills and Buffalo are a must to play. Red mountain and Fiesta lakes are two newer courses that are pretty sweet too. More variety than Vista or some other less popular choices.

The only one near Tucson I've played is Marana, which is awesome.

Buffalo Ridge IS Arizona, and is home to many of the arid states trademark flora & fauna(thick with Jacks & "Desert Iguanas"), but as far as insects native to the region go-I'm afraid I'm pretty naive. I do know that Watson Lake in Prescott has Tarantulas and Tarantula Hawks in abundance right now, although the Tarantulas are all still underground in their 'dens'.

Buffalo Ridge IS Arizona, and is home to many of the arid states trademark flora & fauna(thick with Jacks & "Desert Iguanas"), but as far as insects native to the region go-I'm afraid I'm pretty naive. I do know that Watson Lake in Prescott has Tarantulas and Tarantula Hawks in abundance right now, although the Tarantulas are all still underground in their 'dens'.

Are those tarantula webs/dens you see all over the hillside @ Watson? If so, WILD!

Aside from the locations already mentioned, I'd look into Cottonwood (1 1/2 hrs north of Phx off I-17) if you can. It's a fun course and is situated in a cottonwood grove with a stream nearby. I always see some crazy stuff there - last I was there I saw some huge jade-colored beetles all over.

Mark

lol.....we ain't got no forests, man! We do have a lovely brown desert though. If you're looking for desert courses we have Red Mountain, Papago, and Bufffalo that are in the Valley. The best of those is probably the Red Mountain north course. Outside of the Valley is Marana which is an awesome course about an hour south of Phoenix. Cottonwood is about an hour and a half north. Keep in mind that the desert courses will be extremely hot this time of year, so be sure to bring as much water as you can carry. Also, be cautious of rattlers, scorpions, and gila monsters. You don't want any part of them.

How Do Chillis! Yes, those are the Tarantula abodes... which in the morning sun look just like ones' disc reflecting the sunrise. Those jade colored beetles I believe are Japanese beetles(?). Beautiful.... destructive, but beautiful.

I've been in the Phoenix, Palm Springs, Death Valley and all points in between killing bugs, maybe 10-15 times. Never since playing disc though! Will be more around Phoenix this trip.

Mark

Def get to marana rock before the monsoons hit! Its in great shape right now. They are working on alternate holes for when the rains come to keep it a 18 hole course all year! Def watch out for snakes at marana. Its seems as though the ground squirrels made a comeback after last years levy break, so im sure the rattlesnakes are havin fun

I've been in the Phoenix, Palm Springs, Death Valley and all points in between killing bugs, maybe 10-15 times. Never since playing disc though! Will be more around Phoenix this trip.

I wish I could join you so that I can razz you about being a bagger. Bagger talk is always more fun in person. Have fun, and be careful. Out-of-towners are always on the news this time of year when the heat/dehydration gets them and they need a life flight heli rescue.

Cottonwood has a glow league every Thursday evening. Not sure when they start, but I'd guess around 7 or 8

Latest posts